Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

just 1 i think, if the bottom hole on the rack is pretty close to it just go from there

do your warm up sets from the floor with technique being perfect then do your heavier sets from the pins

once form is where it needs to be then do your heavy sets from the floor again

Hey guys,

I've only been going to the gym for 2-3 months now, and currently following a starting strength-like routine.

I'm just wondering how often a week I should be working out with 3 nights a week of football pre season.

Monday and wednesday nights are running/drills with the odd pushups/situps and strength work thrown in and Friday night is boxing night.

I'm currently nursing a sore hamstring so no squatting at the moment, but when I'm recovered I'm wondering how many times a week should I be hitting the gym along with footy training, and how often should I be squatting?

Re: Weight Training: Building Muscle

The HGH myth has been debunked fair well over the past few years.

You do need to build your legs - the more muscle mass you have on you, the more calories you can burn at rest or during recovery, and chicken legs on a solid guy just looks ridiculous.

ive read something simmilar, but different.

it goes;.... if you exercise a (group of?) compound muscle(s), like legs, it conditions all other compound muscles. so if you want upper body definition, exercising your legs ie; walking, running,plyometrics, hill sprints, weights etc, will help you achieve that..

true..or not?

Hey guys,

I've only been going to the gym for 2-3 months now, and currently following a starting strength-like routine.

I'm just wondering how often a week I should be working out with 3 nights a week of football pre season.

Monday and wednesday nights are running/drills with the odd pushups/situps and strength work thrown in and Friday night is boxing night.

I'm currently nursing a sore hamstring so no squatting at the moment, but when I'm recovered I'm wondering how many times a week should I be hitting the gym along with footy training, and how often should I be squatting?

footy is very quad and knee dominant and so is squatting so i'd have you deadlift in place of squatting and hit the quads with deep and heavy single leg exercises

if training is 3/week then you'll want to fit this in your week somehow:

- deads x 1/week
- single x 1 - 2/week
- posteriour chain assistance x 2 - 3/week

so at the moment we're training 2/week and during the week i'l do deads heavy, deficit reverse lunges heavy, accentuated eccentric swings explosively, plyo's x 2 exercises x 2/week and a day of sprinting/resisted sprinting as well...and a day of tempo sprints

upper body is minimal, i think i'm doing 4 - 6 exercises over the week and core gets 3 - 4 exercises directly too

OK, so if your goal is to get a mixture of toning, getting cut and putting a little weight on and strengthening, what have people found to be a good diet? I've been bouncing in between high protien, low carb/sugar/salt and high veggie and protein low carb. What would you think an ideal diet and excercise regeme would be? Suppliments?

Cheers.

Just started doing Pendlay Rows in place of the regular style BoR. I gotta say, while I dropped about 25% of the bar weight to get decent form I reckon it is a lot better movement for targetting the lats.

I've realised I was standing up way to straight before. Probably was mainly working traps. :eek:

It's a great exercise.

+1 on the Pendlay style rows, recently incorporated them and I can really feel the difference, even if I have had to drop a fair bit of weight on the bar.

Some material suggests deloading the bar on the ground between each rep (much like a deadlift) - anyone tried this or care to comment?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is the only difference between the pendlay and bent over row, the angle of the back which allows you to deload like a deadlift??

the vid's i've been watch pendlay you're only a little above parallel with the ground so your arms can reach the ground, whereas bent over row vid's they're back is about 45 degrees to the ground and you're a lot higher up.

I don't drop it dead with my warm up sets, but make sure i do on my work sets.

Get funny looks from people while doing it as i think i'm the only person in my gym (that i've seen) that does pendlay rather than bent over rows.

My main issue is balance and i find i need to keep my feet out wider (compared to my deadlift stance) to help stabilise myself.

is the only difference between the pendlay and bent over row, the angle of the back which allows you to deload like a deadlift??

the vid's i've been watch pendlay you're only a little above parallel with the ground so your arms can reach the ground, whereas bent over row vid's they're back is about 45 degrees to the ground and you're a lot higher up.
That's my understanding - the angle is the main issue. Deloading helps with maintaining the angle does it not?

Hardly anyone does rows at my gym anyway though; the world's worst formguy has this weird bendy thing that turns it into what I'd imagine a crossfit shrug looks like. Almost everyone else uses cables or the machine.

Thoughts on brief intense cardio before lifting?

I usually do a 1 - 2km run at close to my max before lifting because it gives me a really good rush, & keeps my heart rate up around 150 for the entire session. I think I can lift less, but sweat more & walk out feeling great. I don't really have any specific goals in mind, I just like exercising. The more I read the more everything about weight lifting seems to be extremelly specialized & I'm beginning to question everything I do even though I stand by my belief that most of our shape is due to genetics.

Recommended to do it afterward.

Basically you want your glycogen(energy) storages to be full so you can lift at maximum effort. Cardio can eat into this a fair bit.

Running afterwards doesn't matter as it wont affect your workout and you'll have eaten before next workout.

5-10 min jog to warm up is fine, but wouldnt go a run extra fast or extra long beforehand.

the other thing is fatigue and the increase risk of injury.

if you've done a hard workout and do a run but you've just got nothing in the tank, you normally just stop.

but if you'd one a had run, go for a gym sess and you've got nothing in the tank, complete failure with a weight above you (benching, squatting, overhead presses etc) is dangerous.

I used to do a quick run after my 4 weekly weight sessions.

Basically:

• 1 minute walk to warm up
  • 5 min steady state run (12k/h)
  • 5 mins HIIT (40 seconds, 19.3k/h, 80 seconds 12k/h)
  • 1 min cool-down (fast walk)
Worked out to be about 2.7k in 12 mins.

Was fun after leg day!

Remove this Banner Ad

Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back