Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of interest what’s the alternative people do to PPL? I’m guessing an arms/shoulders day seperate?
Full bro split - each body part one day per week (legs optional)

I've gotta say that doing PPL has been a total game changer for my lifting. If you're in that stage where you feel like you've been an intermediate lifter for a long time and haven't tried a push pull legs routine, drop your current set up and try it. Workouts are stimulating, great mix of compounds and accessories and allows you to go hard on upper body two days in a row because of the recovery factor of working different groups of muscles, which is great if you've got other commitments like footy/running/martial arts etc and don't have the time/energy to lift five times a week.
100%

The hardest backup of PPL I've found is doing a hard pull workout then train a shoulder oriented push the next day where I've slaughtered my stabilisers the day before on the pulls (traps, rhomboids, rotator cuff area etc), a hard back session into legs the next day is pretty dumb also/vice versa

So I've found training about 5 days a week is about right on that type of split

Day 1 deadlift focused (pull/leg hybrid, might do leg/back accessories here depending on how I feel)
Day 2 standard chest (push)
Day 3 hypertrophy back (pull, sit on machines)
Off, active recovery
Day 4 legs, might do some things I wanted to do day 1, as long as I'm not smoking my lower back via squatting heavy/hard I'll be fine
Day 5 standard shoulders (push)
Off, active recovery

If I train 4 days a week push pull push pull I'll do something like

Day 1 deadlifts/posterior chain legs, squeeze in some rows and trap work, would be my biggest day of the week
Day 2 standard chest/tris
Off
Day 3 hypertrophy pulls/biceps etc, probably my easiest day of the week
Off
Day 4 shoulders and maybe some quads/calves thrown in
Off

Looking to get a belt (mostly for squat / deadlifting), is there anywhere local (Victoria or australia) I should be ordering from?
Depends if you want something really good or something to get by

SBD seems to be the powerlifting benchmark, they're over $400

Rogue Australia looks to be mid level belts, nothing more than $200 before shipping

Would be curious to see what kind of volume you guys are doing in these PPL routines. Not so much reps but number of sets and exercises. I've always struggled with fitting enough volume into say 45 minutes. I've gotta start doing supersets again but find the best balance.

Because I do jacked and tan volume for the main lift that can take up like 2/3 of the workout depending on how many back off sets. But I've been able to make progress by intensity, at least in terms of strength, not aesthetics. So it's not all bad. But yeah I'm only doing 3 exercises per session 4x a week at the moment not counting cardio.

Last edited:
Would be curious to see what kind of volume you guys are doing in these PPL routines. Not so much reps but number of sets and exercises. I've always struggled with fitting enough volume into say 45 minutes. I've gotta start doing supersets again but find the best balance.

Because I do jacked and tan volume for the main lift that can take up like 2/3 of the workout depending on how many back off sets. But I've been able to make progress by intensity, at least in terms of strength, not aesthetics. So it's not all bad. But yeah I'm only doing 3 exercises per session 4x a week at the moment not counting cardio.
I vary my volume

If I do 20 working sets every session I'll likely absolutely cook myself, that's a 1-2 days a week thing

Tonight was a deadlift day and I took it really easy as I only just got a new Verve trap bar last week for deadlifts after quite a few months off not doing them as my new gym does not have a trap bar (I'm leaving that gym in around 3 months anyway when my 12 months expires to train exclusively at home again as I should be close to finishing my build by then)

All I did was

3 sets of RDL with just a 20kg bar for warm up/hinge pattern

5 sets of trap bar deadlifts
First set with 40kg on the bar x8
Second set with 70kg on the bar x5
Last 3 sets with 80kg on the bar (4-5-6)

2 sets of hyperextensions to finish off, think I did about 8-10 per set then held my last rep for around 5-10 seconds, then had a quick stretch

So only 5 working sets here and it took a bit for me to work up to the 105kg or so (6 foot trap bar is 23-25kg, haven't weighed it yet but it's a couple cm narrower than what was listed on the Verve website as mine is 64cm wide, expected to be 66cm wide, it seems to be a little wider than the old iron edge trap bar my old gym has though as this Verve bar puts less strain on my knees and mine has better knurling)

Probably in the garage for 40 minutes or so tonight.

Normally back days at home where I need to improvise a little bit with row variations and free weight chest days I will take a bit longer and get in more volume (12-20 working sets), sometimes shoulder day is a long one too as I'll train arms also

Probably like 6 exercises a session. Not a chance I could get it done in 45 minutes though

As long as you train calves, EasternTiger will approve of this split
My gym doesn't have a calf raise machine so I tend to do single leg calf raises on the leg press machine, I can't help but think seated raises would be far better.

Arm days 5 exercises for about 16 sets.

Leg day 3 exercises for about 10 sets.

May add in some calf raises afterwards.

I've got cardio in the mix so I'm a weird Monday-leg day type to allow enough recovery for exercise later in the week.
Makes jumping on the machines a bit easier when everyone else is doing International Chest Day at the start of the week

Monday and Friday are my two leg days. Nobody is stupid enough to want to do legs Monday or Friday other than the girls who do legs every day, so I get a clear run most of the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I average about a set every 3 minutes once I factor in setting things up etc.

I do 6 exercises, 18 sets total per session, not including w/up sets for my first big lift of the session. Gym time is usually about an hour.

Oh, plus one little token set of abs at the end of each session.

I do 6 exercises, 18 sets total per session, not including w/up sets for my first big lift of the session. Gym time is usually about an hour.

Oh, plus one little token set of abs at the end of each session.
How's your home setup going bro? I remember saying you were moving house or something
My gym doesn't have a calf raise machine so I tend to do single leg calf raises on the leg press machine, I can't help but think seated raises would be far better.
When I trained at Genesis in 2022 their seated calf machine had a busted pin on the height adjustment, so with me being huge I naturally couldn't fit under the pads, so I had to do calf presses on the leg press machine also

How's your home setup going bro? I remember saying you were moving house or something

I built a place about 2.5 years ago and put in a home gym yep. I posted pics of it earlier in this thread.

Atm it's just an expensive showroom though, since I decided to join a local gym for a bit more liveliness and variety. No plans on getting rid of my gym though, I don't need the space for anything else and you never know when it might come in handy again.

I've been doing well with 4 x very tough leg press sets once a week, the other leg day 4 x squat at more moderate weight but still challenging.

Takes ages for me to put on any size but could tell when I put on some knee length bathers again recently for the first time since summer.

Such a love/hate relationship with the sport of powerlifting.

Just had a fantastic block.
S - 230kg x2
B - 155kg x2 and 165kg x 1
D - 270kg x2

Meant to load 285kg today, back said no thanks and got tweaked as I locked out my last warm up at 270kg.

**** SAKE.

Depends.

If you're doing PPL over a 7 or 8-day cycle, you don't need to complete as much volume per session because you're getting a tonne of volume over the week.

If you're doing PPL with a session every other day, and a day off between sessions, then your daily volume can be higher.

Depends.

If you're doing PPL over a 7 or 8-day cycle, you don't need to complete as much volume per session because you're getting a tonne of volume over the week.

If you're doing PPL with a session every other day, and a day off between sessions, then your daily volume can be higher.
Well, I like to keep the jacked and tan structure for main lifts but like I said, time is a factor.

Was looking at doing day 1 trap bar 4-6 working sets, Bulgarian split squat 3-4 sets. Day 2 Floor Press 4-6 working sets, DB Bench, Incline DB Bench 3-4 sets each, Day 3 BB Row 5 sets, Band Pull 5 sets, DB and Hammer Curl 3 each, leg raises 50-100 reps. Day 4 Zercher 4-6, Bulgarian 3-4, Day 5 same as day 2, day 6 same as day 3. Day 7 rest, then start over.

I count trap bar as leg (my hip position is lower and I do feel it in the legs). So not counting warm ups that’s 14-20 sets a week of legs, 14-20 upper body, 20 back but obviously pull ups would be better (eventually). Plus curly fries and abs.

It’s boring and not ideal for aesthetics but that should do the trick. I usually do cardio after work so that’s no biggie.

Well, I like to keep the jacked and tan structure for main lifts but like I said, time is a factor.

Was looking at doing day 1 trap bar 4-6 working sets, Bulgarian split squat 3-4 sets. Day 2 Floor Press 4-6 working sets, DB Bench, Incline DB Bench 3-4 sets each, Day 3 BB Row 5 sets, Band Pull 5 sets, DB and Hammer Curl 3 each, leg raises 50-100 reps. Day 4 Zercher 4-6, Bulgarian 3-4, Day 5 same as day 2, day 6 same as day 3. Day 7 rest, then start over.

I count trap bar as leg (my hip position is lower and I do feel it in the legs). So not counting warm ups that’s 14-20 sets a week of legs, 14-20 upper body, 20 back but obviously pull ups would be better (eventually). Plus curly fries and abs.

It’s boring and not ideal for aesthetics but that should do the trick. I usually do cardio after work so that’s no biggie.

I definitely couldn't do 6 days of PPL. Seems to be the rage at the moment with anyone getting their workout ideas from social media, but I'd be bored shitless with so many gym workouts. You have to be resilient and I've found many guys just drop off.

My goal is to be athletic anyway so I want to fit in sprinting, conditioning, and off-feet work too. I basically do the workouts I program for my footy guys, so with it being footy season, I'm only lifting twice per week. Off and pre-season, this jumps to four days per week. More than enough if you're managing training loads with everyday life, and lifting with intensity.

I definitely couldn't do 6 days of PPL. Seems to be the rage at the moment with anyone getting their workout ideas from social media, but I'd be bored shitless with so many gym workouts. You have to be resilient and I've found many guys just drop off.

My goal is to be athletic anyway so I want to fit in sprinting, conditioning, and off-feet work too. I basically do the workouts I program for my footy guys, so with it being footy season, I'm only lifting twice per week. Off and pre-season, this jumps to four days per week. More than enough if you're managing training loads with everyday life, and lifting with intensity.
Good point, I’m not exactly big on workouts either. Personally I’ve always liked 3x a week.

And I don’t care about muscle mass and aesthetics.

But because jacked and tan method (which I do like for strength) takes too long I just can’t run two main lifts in a day anymore.

So I could probably run 4x PPL but just three exercises a session: push, pull, leg. I can chuck in curls and abs on Saturday’s since it doesn’t take long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back