Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back today after a week off due to the flu.
Lost 3kgs in the past week. Definitely felt it.

I'm working 40 hours a week manual labour for the first time in ages.. doing Friday night then Saturday and Sunday morning.
I have to be managed in my role doing that many hours

My old job was ok for that, doing a couple different things now, seem to cop 1 massive 12 hour day a week lately which completely ****s my week/routine up, need like 2-3 rest days afterwards some weeks, or just 2-3 really easy light sessions to get by, not making any gains though currently 😑

Five weeks ago I embarked on a project to see how good my muscle memory can be.

Background: I was a serious lifter until about 2018. Since then, I've had two knee recos and various upper body injuries, got back into sport where I focused on running, and just stopped lifting. I got seriously weak to be quite honest.

Came back from a holiday five weeks ago at about 85.7kg, with almost 4kg of no exercise weight gain in the preceding month.

Anyway, started at:

• 85.7kg body weight
• 60kg 1RM bench press
• 80kg 1RM squat

I can't deadlift heavy at the moment due to a grip injury.

Today's stats, five weeks later:

• 82.8kg body weight (-2.9kg)
• 110kg bench press
• 165kg 1RM squat to parallel, not ATG

Still a long way away from my old records, but I didn't expect to be back at respectable numbers so quickly. Spewing I didn't do a DEXA scan.
1 month later

Bodyweight: 81.3kg
117.5kg bench press
175kg X 4 parallel squats (need to buy more plates)

1kg is 1kg no matter how much you spend so no use spending much extra for a "good" set IMO

Can add a cheap set of fat grips off Amazon to make a cheap dumbbell more comfortable also.

With lighter weights I would agree with you, but once you get heavier, then it is a case of you get what you pay for with dumbbells.

I went cheap and bought the rubber hex dumbbells online in doubles up to 35kg and singles up to 52.5kg and wish I had have paid the extra and gotten the Australian Barbell Company dumbbells. With the doubles, it is noticeable that one weighs more than the other and with some of the singles, you have to work out a way to hold them as they roll to one side (on some of them when rowing, you have to do the exercise at 11 o’clock and others at one o’clock to counter the rolling). If buying the rubber hex dumbbells, do what go you pups did and go to the showroom and either weigh each one or test the feel in your hands.

I ended up returning a few of them as it isn’t safe to do pressing exercises when they don’t balance and luckily got a membership at a gym that has Australia barbell company stuff.

Also gotta watch out for your skull on a shoulder press 😂
I have a pair of Olympic dumbbells too, though I only bought them for rows and snatches, don't mind them for 1 arm rows compared to my fixed dumbbells, I like the knurling on my Olympics.

They're 6kg each, with the plates I already have that aren't too big I can get a pair of about 34.5kg (4x5kg, 2x2.5kg, 2x1.25kg, 2x0.5kg on each dumbbell)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With lighter weights I would agree with you, but once you get heavier, then it is a case of you get what you pay for with dumbbells.

I went cheap and bought the rubber hex dumbbells online in doubles up to 35kg and singles up to 52.5kg and wish I had have paid the extra and gotten the Australian Barbell Company dumbbells. With the doubles, it is noticeable that one weighs more than the other and with some of the singles, you have to work out a way to hold them as they roll to one side (on some of them when rowing, you have to do the exercise at 11 o’clock and others at one o’clock to counter the rolling). If buying the rubber hex dumbbells, do what go you pups did and go to the showroom and either weigh each one or test the feel in your hands.

I ended up returning a few of them as it isn’t safe to do pressing exercises when they don’t balance and luckily got a membership at a gym that has Australia barbell company stuff.
I'm lucky to have a good relationship with 2 Melbourne suppliers so during 2022 and 2023 when I was phasing out my Ironmaster set and going to rubber hex dumbbells I went in to both shops with scales and made sure I found boxes of the same weights so the weight difference with the pairs was minimal, like maybe 100-200g worst case

Had to start doing that as I got a pair of 20s that was 20.3 and 19.4 (my 1st few pairs were pretty accurate aside from my 15s being both underweight at 14.5), really noticed it doing shoulder presses, so got the scales and yeah, so I went back to the shop and they let me go through their showroom pairs as they were sold out of 20s at the time, found a 19.6 and 20.1 in the showroom, so took the 20.1 and gave back the 19.4

Weight plates I'm not too fussed with, but I do label them if they're a big outlier (I have a pair of 5s that are 5.5kg each for example, I actually like that for my cable machines though and my curl bar, more weight being moved)

Also what state/area are you in?

Those types of things are cheaper to grab instore rather than delivery
I'm in regional Queensland (Capricorn Coast) so not much in store in my area. Rockhampton, a half hour drive away, may have something.
Do you want quick lock adjustable dumbbells or fixed hex?
I'd probably prefer fixed hex.

I'm in regional Queensland (Capricorn Coast) so not much in store in my area. Rockhampton, a half hour drive away, may have something.

I'd probably prefer fixed hex.
I'd go a 2.5-25kg fixed set with a rack then in 2.5kg increments.

Will be plenty around, you might have to pay around 1500 though delivered seeing you're in regional Queensland.

*Ok Rockhampton has both Rebel and Intersport, maybe ask them if they have fixed dumbbells, my local Rebel does but they're more expensive than my Melbourne commercial suppliers.

I'd go a 2.5-25kg fixed set with a rack then in 2.5kg increments.

Will be plenty around, you might have to pay around 1500 though delivered seeing you're in regional Queensland.

*Ok Rockhampton has both Rebel and Intersport, maybe ask them if they have fixed dumbbells, my local Rebel does but they're more expensive than my Melbourne commercial suppliers.
Cheers. I'll have a look next time I'm in Rocky.

Or maybe not.

This is my main Melbourne supplier

They do a 2.5-20kg set for $699 at the moment

Unfortunately it's $324 shipping on their calculator ☹️ otherwise I'd recommend that, funny thing is it'd still be cheaper than buying from Intersport as 180kg in dumbbells at $6 a kilo is $1080

If you lived near Brisbane or the Gold Coast or something you'd be sweet, you'd have Verve, Gym and Fitness, Aussie Fitness and Southside Fitness to choose from (probably more that I'm unaware of). I've started using both Verve and Gym and Fitness for bibs and bobs.

This is my Sydney supplier

This is a pretty solid deal too, the 275kg of dumbbells here are just under $4 a kilo and the rack retails at $245 and they're asking for $1312, though not sure what shipping would cost, if you could get it for somewhere between $1500-1600 I think that's reasonable as you'd get a solid enough storage rack with it

Like the look of this set from Verve but do I really want to spend that much money?

Remove this Banner Ad

Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back