Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Like the look of this set from Verve but do I really want to spend that much money?

But can you really put a price on da gainz?

If I had a basic home gym I reckon I could mostly get away with just three pairs to start. 10 or 12.5, 15 and 22.5s
When I was transitioning away from my Ironmasters I identified a few more pairs I'd need

7.5s, 10s and 12.5s were mandatory for accessories (already had 15s, they were my first pair I could get my hands on in 2020)

17.5s and 20s for warm ups for compounds

25s were mandatory for a few things like feeder sets for heavier compounds, or working sets for shoulder presses or RDLs.

Then I went 32.5s, 37.5s and 40s for presses and rows.

So 9 pairs there needed to cover all my bases, then I filled the gaps afterwards, got 9s, 22.5s, 27.5s etc next then the heavies 30s, 35s, 42.5s and 45s last (got 2 at a time).

Like the look of this set from Verve but do I really want to spend that much money?

You're paying over $1000 more for 27.5s and 30s with this set compared to Sams 2.5s-25s.

A pair of 50kg dumbbells shouldn't be more than $400 for example.

The Verve dumbbells will be branded Verve on 1 side of the dumbbell, but I don't think they're worth the $5 a kilo or whatever they go at

Grabbed a calf block, a few more close grip MAG knock offs and a rackable curl bar today

Rackable curl bar feels really nice in the wide ezy curl position, just finishing off some back then will do a few sets with it

I now understand what these close grip MAG knock offs are trying to achieve

The slightly pronated MAG grip is a replacement for a close grip triangle attachment, while the close grip supinated is to replace a short straight bar

Does anyone else apart from Dr Mike also hate the tri push downs on cable witha rope and always use the bar?

Feels like must be in like a 5% minority.
I bought a fat grip straight bar for grip work on back days last Friday

It works an absolute treat for tricep pushdowns though, because it's a 2 inch bar I don't bother curling my thumbs around the bar, just go the old suicide grip, activates the triceps magnificently

And yeah ropes suck for pulldowns, better for facepulls/high rows.

Guys I'm trying to bulk but I can't eat enough food. Any ideas to help me eat more, or just feel more hungry. I am already eating protein rich foods, chicken or beef every night, high protein up and gos in the morning, and greek yoghurt, muesli bars, and a PB roll or, leftovers from dinner at school. I think I might be doing too much exercise and burning too many calories, It's a 5.5km ride to school, I go for a run most afternoons, and go for a kick nearly every afternoon as well as lifting weights, and doing bodyweight exercises.

Guys I'm trying to bulk but I can't eat enough food. Any ideas to help me eat more, or just feel more hungry. I am already eating protein rich foods, chicken or beef every night, high protein up and gos in the morning, and greek yoghurt, muesli bars, and a PB roll or, leftovers from dinner at school. I think I might be doing too much exercise and burning too many calories, It's a 5.5km ride to school, I go for a run most afternoons, and go for a kick nearly every afternoon as well as lifting weights, and doing bodyweight exercises.
That's not much food tbh unless they're giant serves.

Oats, banana, milk, an egg, yogurt, protein powder (optional), peanut butter - blend. Knock off 750-1000 calories in a drink

Pack an extra ham & cheese sanga for school

Quarter pounder and a pack of nuggets always goes down well pre gym on a bulk. Otherwise yeah drinking more calories is always an easy solution, eating less clean, adding a bit of oil will give your calories a decent bump

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not much food tbh unless they're giant serves.

Oats, banana, milk, an egg, yogurt, protein powder (optional), peanut butter - blend. Knock off 750-1000 calories in a drink

Pack an extra ham & cheese sanga for school
Easiest way to bulk up, is with a "loaded protein shake". You cant go too wrong here. You will hit 1000 calories per serve easily.

What ever you dont use fast food as a means to bulk, its very unhealthy and promotes bad habits which are bad to break when you try to cut eventually.

Easiest way to bulk up, is with a "loaded protein shake". You cant go too wrong here. You will hit 1000 calories per serve easily.

What ever you dont use fast food as a means to bulk, its very unhealthy and promotes bad habits which are bad to break when you try to cut eventually.

I don't think a teenager needs to worry about bulking/cutting? Just get the protein in and weights, hormones surely do the rest at that age? no use overthinking it (probably goes for everyone there tbh)

I don't think a teenager needs to worry about bulking/cutting? Just get the protein in and weights, hormones surely do the rest at that age? no use overthinking it (probably goes for everyone there tbh)
His opening line was that he wanted to bulk up.

Using fast food to achieve this, is a terrible way to go about bulking. It also promotes unhealthy eating habits.

The protein shake video was as simple as it gets in summarizing what he needs to do. Its 30seconds long.

Last edited:
Eating a bit of fast food is perfectly fine in reality and an easy way to bump up calories. Too many people automatically just go fast food = bad without going through why each ingredient is necessarily so terrible

Peanut butter and honey aren't exactly staples to a healthy diet themselves

Depends how much 'other' exercise he's doing.

If you're doing a lot of exercise and losing weight you don't want to lose, you need more calories regardless of age.

A daily ride, run, kick of the footy, gym and bodyweight workouts is a fair bit of energy being burned.

Preferably you find ways to consistently get the calories is without loading up on junk food, but a little bit of junk food is fine IMO. Also some kind of sports drinks for during sessions might be a good place for him to look as well, under fuelling for sessions is pretty common in younger athletes.

Eating a bit of fast food is perfectly fine in reality and an easy way to bump up calories. Too many people automatically just go fast food = bad without going through why each ingredient is necessarily so terrible

Peanut butter and honey aren't exactly staples to a healthy diet themselves
A bit of fast food junk is nothing to be worried about but I'd speculate that it would be far better to concentrate on more proper sources of food to achieve the calorie intake.

A bit of fast food junk is nothing to be worried about but I'd speculate that it would be far better to concentrate on more proper sources of food to achieve the calorie intake.

Im not saying have breakfast, lunch and dinner at McDonalds but if you are struggling to get in the calories you need like above then less calorie dense food is going to make things too hard for some people and most of the "healthier" suggestions aren't really an upgrade on having a fast food burger if that's what you prefer to bump up cals occasionally

As part of a plan to improve them I do pull ups on leg day. As in I just randomly do literally 1 pull up here and there in-between leg sets. So it's not a pull workout as I do on the pull day but just extra pull up practice.
Was stuck on just 3 in a row for a while but in the last fortnight have got it up to 5 with good form.

Feels like I'm not far from suddenly being able to doing a lot more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back