Weird football scores

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 3 this year in the VFL, we had this score:
North 12.4 (76) - Brisbane 9.21 (75)
Brisbane kicked 3 fewer goals, but somehow almost won the game.
Hawthorn and Essendon played the same score in the fifth round of 1961. Essendon’s and Brisbane’s are the second greatest deficit in scoring shots by a winning team, Richmond against Fitzroy in 1957 and Geelong against Collingwood in 1977 both won with fifteen fewer scoring shots.

The same day as the Hawthorn v Essendon game, St. Kilda did beat Richmond 11.20 to 13.7. (The return game to this was the game where Richmond kicked 0.8 for the only goalless score since 1921.)
Essendon vs Sydney 2012, Essendon went from 2.15 to 11.16 at the final siren... and almost came back from 46 down at 3/4 time in the process. Had a potential shot after the siren but ruined it by playing on
I remember that game very well for something post-Docklands. I was watching in a pub at the time, and was shocked by Essendon being only 1.11 at one point. Then as I came home late in the night I was equally shocked by what had happened since I previously glanced the score.

Hawthorn and Essendon played the same score in the fifth round of 1961. Essendon’s and Brisbane’s are the second greatest deficit in scoring shots by a winning team, Richmond against Fitzroy in 1957 and Geelong against Collingwood in 1977 both won with fifteen fewer scoring shots.

The same day as the Hawthorn v Essendon game, St. Kilda did beat Richmond 11.20 to 13.7. (The return game to this was the game where Richmond kicked 0.8 for the only goalless score since 1921.)

I remember that game very well for something post-Docklands. I was watching in a pub at the time, and was shocked by Essendon being only 1.11 at one point. Then as I came home late in the night I was equally shocked by what had happened since I previously glanced the score.

The 1961 season was a strange one all around, like this St Kilda vs Richmond game and the other one where Richmond kicked 0.8 on a fine sunny day and a good ground.

The final results proved just as odd all around the country:

VFL: A novelty sort of Grand Final between Hawthorn and Footscray, the Hawks winning easily by 43-points in hot conditions. Hawthorn won the first grand final it ever played in and has gone on to become a superpower, but the Bulldogs (this their second grand final) developed a preliminary final hoodoo, and would not make another grand final again (which they won) until 2016. What is it with the numbers 1 & 6?

SANFL: The enigmatic West Adelaide defeated Norwood on a 35-degree day with minor premiers the Port Adelaide Magpies - going for their seventh flag in a row - crashing out of the finals in straight sets. It was West's first premiership since 1947 and they would not win another one until 1983. Sturt's John Halbert won the 1961 Magarey Medal, very unusual for a team that finished last.

WAFL - Swan Districts, last in 1959 and 1960 (two wins) and with no premiership since their 1933 admission make the finals and comfortably defeat minor premiers East Perth which finished 6 games clear on top of the ladder. It would be the first of three successive Grand Finals for Swans, all of which they won. Across the country in Sydney, Swan Districts black and white cousins the Western Suburbs Magpies would also play in the first of three successive Grand Finals in 1961, 1962 and 1963 - but would lose all of them to St George. At the other end of the WAFL ladder the South Fremantle Bulldogs - a superpower since the Second World War - would finish 1961 with the wooden spoon, the first time Souths finished last since the wartime underage competition in 1944.

VFA - The VFA was split into two divisions for the first time in 1961, and Division 1 would produce a surprise winner, the Yarraville Eagles which trounced super-power Williamstown by 63-points. It was only the club's second premiership after 1935 - and second would prove the last flag won by the Eagles. After relegation to Division 2 in 1970 Yarraville would have three attempts to win a flag in this grade and go back to Division 1 but lost all three of them before falling off a cliff in the early 1980s and Yarraville would be the first of the 15 of 24 VFA clubs to depart from 1983-1994. In Division 2, Northcote defeated Dandenong to go into Division 1. It was the Dragons first trophy since 1936, Northcote very dominant in the Depression era, but 1961 and another Division 2 flag in 1982 would be the Dragons' lot after WW2. At the other end of the ladder, the Brighton Penguins it was thought might find things easier in Division 2 and away from the power Division 1 clubs like Sandringham, Williamstown, Moorabbin, Oakleigh, Port Melbourne and Coburg, but it didn't go as thought and Brighton finished the first VFA Division 2 season last at 0-18 and a percentage of 29, one of the worst ever seasons at this level of football. Like in the SANFL, the 1961 VFA Division 1 best & fairest the JJ Liston Trophy was won by a player from the bottom team, Doug Beasy from Box Hill, while in Division 2 the inaugural J Field Medal would be won by Pat Fitzgerald from second last Sunshine.

In England, Tottenham Hotspur won the 1961 First Division (now Premier League) of the English Football League for just the second time, and it also captured the FA Cup. This made the Roosters the first team since Preston North End in 1889 to win the double, but despite being such a powerful team Tottenham have not won the EFL since then. Somewhat strangely in 1961 Preston North End were relegated from Division 1 after finishing last - and in 63 years since have never once managed to return to Division 1/Premier League.

Not weird score, but a weird score progression.

SANFL Qualifying Final Sturt vs Central Districts today

Centrals kicked the first goal inside 3 minutes

From 3 mins in the first quarter to 10 mins into the third quarter, Sturt kicked 5.8 to Centrals 0.2, to lead by 30 points.

From then until the end of the game, a complete reversal, Centrals kicked 7.0 to Sturt 0.1, turning a 30pt deficit into an 11pt win.

Not weird score, but a weird score progression.

SANFL Qualifying Final Sturt vs Central Districts today

Centrals kicked the first goal inside 3 minutes

From 3 mins in the first quarter to 10 mins into the third quarter, Sturt kicked 5.8 to Centrals 0.2, to lead by 30 points.

From then until the end of the game, a complete reversal, Centrals kicked 7.0 to Sturt 0.1, turning a 30pt deficit into an 11pt win.
Blowling a gale ?

Yeah a bit of wind, but it was a tale of two halves rather than 4 quarters.

I noticed that the two finals yesterday were played at Adelaide Oval - I thought that like the VFL and WAFL the lead-in SANFL finals were played at the higher-placed team's home ground, with only the Grand Final played at the Adelaide Oval?

I noticed that the two finals yesterday were played at Adelaide Oval - I thought that like the VFL and WAFL the lead-in SANFL finals were played at the higher-placed team's home ground, with only the Grand Final played at the Adelaide Oval?
They decided the the double header at Adelaide Oval was the better outcome.

Also helps as a number of the ammo’s grand finals are now held at the suburban grounds as their “neutral” venue. Works pretty well.

There was a peculiar 1976 VFA Division 2 match between Williamstown and Northcote where at one stage the Seagulls were 11.0 and the Dragons 0.14. Williamstown trounced Norwood 16.4-100 to 6.21-57, despite the green and golds having 7 more scoring shots than the blue and golds.

Both Adelaide AFLW teams had a good week
On Friday, Port Adelaide defeated the Western Bulldogs, holding them goalless (0.6) whilst playing them away from home.
On Sunday, Adelaide defeated Fremantle, also holding them goalless (0.6) whilst playing them away from home.

I remember that game from 2012, it was pretty freaky.

While as mentioned games where inaccurate teams find accuracy later in the match are more memorable, the inverse of this - games where a previously accurate team loses focus and begin to spray shots all over the place - seem much rarer. I haven't seen a game where for example a team has 10.1 at half time, before kicking 1.10 after the long break to finish 11.11-77, at least not for some years.
Geelong kicked 9.3.57 in the first quarter at Whitten Oval against the Dogs Rd 3 1991, but ended up a haphazard 15.27.117 for the game. 6 goals 24 after quarter time!

in Round 13 1976 and Round 13 1977 the Bulldogs and Melbourne took turns at doubling each other's score on each other's home ground.

The Round 13 1976 match saw Melbourne thrash Footscray at the Western Oval by 52 points, the Dees beating the Dogs 14.20-104 to 7.10-52.

The Bulldogs got their revenge on the Demons at the MCG a year later, Footscray trouncing Melbourne by 51-points in a 15.12-102 to 7.9-51 win that repeated the scoreline between these teams in the 1954 Grand Final.

Was poking around local footy leagues on PlayHQ and came across the score for this year's Farrer Football League grand final result.
Marrar had an strong start to the game, leading The Rock-Yerong Creek at half-time by 35 points. and restricting TRYC to only 16 points at half time. However, they would go scoreless in the second quarter and only score another 7 points in the final quarter, while TRYC would score 64 of their 80 points in the second half to come back and win by 22 points.

Marrar - 4.2 8.3 8.3 9.4 (58)
TRYC - 2.3 2.4 8.6 12.8 (80)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Weird football scores

Remove this Banner Ad

Back