List Mgmt. Welcome Joe Furphy

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to be honest, those highlights leave a little to be desired.

But Cat B is a free hit I guess.
You’re an amazing judge of talent if you can tell either way based on two hitouts, a kick and a couple of handballs!

It won’t surprise that given basketball connection, that he will be well known to Dempsey. Joe played many years of basketball with Ollie’s older brother. Joe’s younger brother just got announced as heading to one of the best College basketball programs and is on track to be a first round NBA draft pick (like Daniels and Giddey).

Joe will be very raw and a long term project I reckon. But no question on his athletics. He is not a slow basketball centre (like Paul T) but is relatively quick, agile and good leap. I haven’t seen him play football though…

Geelong and signing a random ruckman , name a more iconic duo. Orren Stephenson, Padraig Lucy, Paul T, Joe Furphy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re an amazing judge of talent if you can tell either way based on two hitouts, a kick and a couple of handballs!
Fair call. You could also argue that if your highlights from a whole game consist of a kick and couple of handballs, that it wasn't that inspiring. Anyway, like it said, it's a free hit. So, let's hope for the best.

I'm probably more interested in which other ruck we get in over the offseason.

Fair call. You could also argue that if your highlights from a whole game consist of a kick and couple of handballs, that it wasn't that inspiring. Anyway, like it said, it's a free hit. So, let's hope for the best.

I'm probably more interested in which other ruck we get in over the offseason.
Yeah I think with these guys you’re not getting them on their junior output but their athletic potential.

Going to be honest, those highlights leave a little to be desired.

But Cat B is a free hit I guess.
I'm of the same opinion.
Let's hope he is super athletic as they suggest. I can see some athletic traits in the first tap out, and some of the limited follow up running so there could be something to work with there. He will be at least 1 year development in the VFL imho.
However, the footage looks like U18s from several years ago (2018?) am I correct there?

I'm of the same opinion.
Let's hope he is super athletic as they suggest. I can see some athletic traits in the first tap out, and some of the limited follow up running so there could be something to work with there. He will be at least 1 year development in the VFL imho.
However, the footage looks like U18s from several years ago (2018?) am I correct there?

Yeah this is in his underage year - so eons ago and probably not too relevant. I actually thought he looked pretty good, had a decent ball drop for his height, and won a few good hit outs.

Better for mine that he's at least played underage and should be able to convert over a lot easier given he played juniors.

Also, I liked his comment about how he 'likes to run.' Said that on a basketball court it's very 'stop/start', so he's looking forward to that from an AFL POV. Sounds to me like he's got a pretty good tank then, which should help him out a lot if he is to make it one day. 24 too, so not a kid and not undersized/raw either.

Much better outlook than Padraig or Tsap already, IMO.

Last edited:
Yeah this is in his underage year - so eons ago and probably not too relevant. I actually thought he looked pretty good, had a decent ball drop for his height, and won a few good hit outs.

Better for mine that he's at least played underage and should be able to convert over a lot easier given he played juniors.

Also, I liked his comment about how he 'likes to run.' Said that on a basketball court it's very 'stop/start', so he's looking forward to that from an AFL POV. Sounds to me like he's got a pretty tank then, which should help him out a lot if he is to make it one day. 24 too, so not a kid and not undersized/raw either.

Much better outlook than Padraig or Tsap already, IMO.
Yeah, when you compare to those two, then perhaps so. He'll need a fair bit of work on his skills and game reading, but some have a natural talent to find space and the ball, let's see... I'm guessing he will need work for at least a year, and then we can see. Either way, we needed a young ruck on the list that had a mature body - something that can gap fill if needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Joe Furphy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back