Toast Welcome Robbie Young

Remove this Banner Ad

He's leaving his wife and five year old kid in SA? That's odd. Don't get me wrong, some days I feel like doing the same, but a why full-time separation like that: why wouldn't they just move over with him?

Hope the Saints did due diligence here, cos that smells like a flight risk to me.

Edit: reading back it's clear that he's already separated from the mum, so it's just his kid he's leaving behind. I guess they're prepared for it, and I don't really know the context, so probably jumping the gun.

He has a good highlights reel but we've recruited a SANFL small forward who averages 10 disposals and 1 goal per game. I don't see how he's better than Minch in any way
If his base is that and he improves that's not so bad. Minch didn't really improve, I think that's why he and Wright were tipped out.

Well I've got to say I like everything I see in those highlights - for a pick 67 he looks about as good as you could hope to get.

From the highlights here's the traits I reckon the recruiters liked.

0.05 the way he burst through a couple of players to make an option the next play after the handball - spread :heavycheck:

0.08 pushes the player of the ball then snaps a goal - goal sense:heavycheck::heavycheck:

0.18 runs exactly like a small Buddy and shows - pace pace pace :heavycheck::heavycheck:

0.30 what don't you like about this - run 30 odd metres at full pace to make the tackle - commitment :heavycheck::heavycheck: (+ pace pace:heavycheck::heavycheck:)

0.43 attack on the ball carrier - tackling pressure:heavycheck::heavycheck:

Put him in an AFL environment and hope he continues to improve.

Everyone knows how hard it is to be a successful small forward but for a pick 67 he looks a real chance to actually play next year.

I hope to see us erupting as he gets out the back on a few fast breaks at Docklands next year!!!

He has a good highlights reel but we've recruited a SANFL small forward who averages 10 disposals and 1 goal per game. I don't see how he's better than Minch in any way
How may forward pockets that play permanently there average more than 14 touches a game?.. a fwd pocket is there to apply pressure and create scoring opportunities.. plus its a position where you rely on opportunities rather than being a focal point in a fwd line.

I’m underwhelmed, but was a cheap pick up, not expecting much at all, you actually need to be able to find the ball at AFL level and 19 goals in 19 games for a small forward is a joke.
Good luck to the lad, he’s one of us so welcome aboard and prove me wrong please!

Quite the opposite actually it’s not the goals although I loved replay in the game he kicked 6
had the miniature Buddy show going .What I loved was his brutal tackling and chase downs
also his aggression listen to the commentary .

Just got a feeling this guy could really suprise in elite training environment

They only show a couple of his specials ....watch all 6 bet you can’t smile after a couple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This bloke does apply a lot of forward pressure which is good, but struggles to find his own footy.
I watched him a few times as I follow sturt and he can be a very dirty player and was also having a go at sturt supporters during the game. I'm just not sure if hes totally professional

This bloke does apply a lot of forward pressure which is good, but struggles to find his own footy.
I watched him a few times as I follow sturt and he can be a very dirty player and was also having a go at sturt supporters during the game. I'm just not sure if hes totally professional
Sounds like he’s exactly what we need. :thumbsu:

Was this at Unley? I can understand it

I like the cut of his jib

Liking him more and more. Get him in Milne's 44!

Thank you guys for selecting a former Port Adelaide junior. One of the last of a dying breed after the SANFL took our juniors & recruitment zones away from us.

One of Robbie Youngs biggest games was against Norwood at the Parade in 2017.

From memory there may have been about 7 lead changes in the last quarter. Was a crazy game.

Few highlights in this video too.
1:00 to 1:12: Robbie Young snap and goal.
1:13 to 1:37: Robbie grabs a loose ball on the wing, goes for a run, breaks a tackle, gets smothered and kicks forward in space. We end up getting a goal soon after.
2:20 to 2:37: Dying minutes and down by a couple of points, Robbie Young in a high pressure situation in the pocket zigzags around a player, handballs to the ground, picks it up and takes a snap to kick the game winning goal. Clutch moment.

As an avid North Adelaide supporter I saw all of Robbie Young's games this year and I concur with many of the statements about his pace and ability to run down players. I am surprised that someone queried his disposal. It generally was very good this year for North and he kicked a number of beautiful goals both on the run and from set shots. Also I didn't think he was a one sided player. I saw him use his right foot occasionally and he managed to find a man with his kicks.
I hadn't contemplated that he would get drafted because he is a low possession player and other than his 6 goal haul he didn't hit the scoreboard enough, but I can see why he is worth the risk as a late pick.
He certainly has a bit of mongrel in him. Prior to the Norwood game where he scored 6 goals he had a wretched few days where he lost both his grand father and step sister and it seemed as though he steeled himself to have an outstanding game in their memory.
I have only spoken to him once (at the traditional unveiling of the premiers colours on the chimney of the West End Brewery in Adelaide - one of the greatest sporting traditions anywhere). He seemed a very polite and self effacing young man, so unlike his on field persona. I was able to tell him that although North Adelaide have won 14 premierships, he is the first ever indigenous player to win a flag with North. He seemed genuinely interested and proud of that fact.
If he develops under the AFL system, you may have found yourself a gem.

Thank you guys for selecting a former Port Adelaide junior. One of the last of a dying breed after the SANFL took our juniors & recruitment zones away from us.

One of Robbie Youngs biggest games was against Norwood at the Parade in 2017.

From memory there may have been about 7 lead changes in the last quarter. Was a crazy game.

Few highlights in this video too.
1:00 to 1:12: Robbie Young snap and goal.
1:13 to 1:37: Robbie grabs a loose ball on the wing, goes for a run, breaks a tackle, gets smothered and kicks forward in space. We end up getting a goal soon after.
2:20 to 2:37: Dying minutes and down by a couple of points, Robbie Young in a high pressure situation in the pocket zigzags around a player, handballs to the ground, picks it up and takes a snap to kick the game winning goal. Clutch moment.
Thanks for that.
Good one to see him get on to him preferred, get it smothered, then use his right foot to get it to space and create a goal.

Seems like he has some nice skills.

Up to him now.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Draft Cost of Robbie Young

From Norths Twitter:
We've traded the future third round pick we received from St Kilda to the Western Bulldogs, and received pick 46.

Norths Net Result
North run away with some value by trading with the Saints and Bulldogs:
Pick 61 ---> Pick 46

Saints Net Result
After 3 trades the Saints ended up with a net result of:
Pick 75 + Future 3rd rd pick (StK) ---> Pick 67 + Future 4th round pick (GC or GWS?)

Its possible the Lethalan ect. were playing some mind games with other clubs, and/or may have missed who we were after with pick 61.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome Robbie Young

Remove this Banner Ad

Back