"Welcome To Country" Speeches .......... Gone Too Far Now ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to Country died the night the NRL got a blonde white chick to do it

324648f52ca58e6d1e473a97edaced8e

Last edited:
The guy who did the 'welcome to country' ceremony prior to the Giants V Lions game semi-final seemed to use the platform more as a divisive political tool than a genuine & proud showing of the way the indigenous people have done things for many years.

There has been a lot of condemnation for his comments, especially the "BC ...... before Cook" part with observers in the media calling for this stuff to stop. The irony was that he introduced himself as a "cultural educator from the Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council" but he was not culturally sensitive at all.

“A Welcome to Country is not a ceremony we’ve invented to cater for white people”.

If these indigenous leaders are going to use primetime TV as an opportunity to be somewhat insulting & controversial like he did, should the AFL discontinue the practice ??
To be honest, I saw the headlines about people being outraged (surprise surprise) by this, and then when I heard what was said I couldn't understand what the issue was?

I didn't see anything he said as being divisive.

The welcome to country has been overused to the point to where people see it as an annoyance and virtue signalling.
First, you don't need to welcome people to their own country. To even think that is the thing to do is ridiculous.

I don't have an issue with it been used in Government functions when welcoming foreign dignitaries, or overseas sporting teams who have come to play against Australia.
That's the extent it should be used it.

Its just another example of the AFL pandering for woke virtue points.
So you didn't listen to what the dude said then?

Not so much about this topic as such but I remember hearing a theory a while ago about why Aboriginal society did not really advance much in the 60,000 years (that is not to say their society was not valid, but it didn't really change much in a very long time) and that was because Australia didn't have horses, cows, camels or donkeys.

I read that in order for a society to advance in the early stages having animals to not only aid in agriculture but also transport is vital. Europeans learned to use cows and horses to help create agriculture, which meant they didn't need to live off the land, which meant they could stay in one spot, and grow towns, and because of horses people could visit other towns, share ideas, begin to advance.

However without that creating what we would see as farming is much much harder, so no farming, your society still has to live off the land, which means constantly on the move to find new sources of food, which means your entire society just can't advance.

I am not sure how true this is, but it was a really interesting theory.
Define advance?

Let me put it this way...what chance do you think we have of lasting another 55000 years on this planet?

Define advance?

Let me put it this way...what chance do you think we have of lasting another 55000 years on this planet?

Advance as in developing agriculture, then technology, communications systems, democracy and things like that. The theory was without the horse, cow, camel or donkey it was very very hard to develop the early things necessary to advance technologically, and Australia had none of those things, not originally anyway.

As for 55,000 years from now, I doubt it. We will always have people crazy or selfish enough to destroy the world and it only takes a few.

minority indigenous heritage

Sorry, no they don’t. My girlfriend has skin you would describe as porcelain. Her dad is an indigenous councillor and looks like an elderly Adam Goodes only darker and was a member of the stolen generation.

One of my children has red hair and the other of them is pretty pale in general. On my side they’re all English in heritage. The other is entirely aboriginal.

Sorry to break it to you but your determination on how genetics work doesn’t determine someone’s heritage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whoever wrote this needs to do some more research.
Willem Janszoon got here a long time before Cook. So did Dirk Hartog albeit a few kilometres separated him from the actual mainland of the continent.
He wasn’t even the first Englishman to arrive here: Dampier beat him by nearly 100 years.
But they didn't stick around and screw over the indigenous population I think is the point.

Yes that is right and your point being?

I pay an exuberant amount of tax, so I am entitled to have an opinion of how overtaxed we are.
And how poorly the funds get used.
Needs more spent on schools I reckon.

Yes that is right and your point being?

I pay an exuberant amount of tax, so I am entitled to have an opinion of how overtaxed we are.
And how poorly the funds get used.
Yes they need to spend more on education so people know the difference between the words exorbitant and exuberant.

Remove this Banner Ad

"Welcome To Country" Speeches .......... Gone Too Far Now ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back