"Welcome To Country" Speeches .......... Gone Too Far Now ??

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don’t know why Caption Cook gets the criticism he does? He is one of the greatest men in history. Working class through and through, who through sheer determination, work ethic and intellect made himself the world’s greatest navigator. He made his way up through the snobbery of the British Navy, not a common thing for working class people but was too brilliant to hold back. He helped lead one of the greatest scientific expeditions ever. He was kind to his men, way ahead of his time as to how he treated them. He didn’t ’colonise’ Australia, if that is the problem some have with him? His contribution to humanity was a million times more than the small minded and small intellect people that try and criticise him.

I really don’t know why Caption Cook gets the criticism he does? He is one of the greatest men in history. Working class through and through, who through sheer determination, work ethic and intellect made himself the world’s greatest navigator. He made his way up through the snobbery of the British Navy, not a common thing for working class people but was too brilliant to hold back. He helped lead one of the greatest scientific expeditions ever. He was kind to his men, way ahead of his time as to how he treated them. He didn’t ’colonise’ Australia, if that is the problem some have with him? His contribution to humanity was a million times more than the small minded and small intellect people that try and criticise him.
I don’t think the criticism is necessarily pointed at Cook the individual but what he represents in terms of the eventual colonisation of what became Australia

It’s unfortunate his name cops the criticism to an extent but also understandable imo

I don’t think the criticism is necessarily pointed at Cook the individual but what he represents in terms of the eventual colonisation of what became Australia

It’s unfortunate his name cops the criticism to an extent but also understandable imo
It is Cook the Individual. He lied to a shot Indigenous people around the world.

He debunked the idea that it is something made up purely for white people.

Why that should be a problem for some people is probably for them to work out for themselves.

How did he debunk it? He made a claim.

You could say that dot painting is an age-old tradition, or point to a white guy inventing it 50 years ago.

It's not the most important point, but the above is not true - the first verifiable landing by Europeans in Australia was by the Dutch in 1606, a century and a half before Lieutenant (not Captain) Cook.

Are younger generations going to have an increasingly positive attitude to things like welcome to country, or are people going to get increasingly turned off by overdoing it? I think it'll be the former.
You're omitting the Portuguese 1522 landings on the East Coast

Anyone that travelled with the power of the Doctrine of Dicovery is akin to a war criminal today invading lands.

I have no agenda & I take great offence at being called a racist, especially by a keyboard warrior who has never ever met me nor knows a thing about me.

My issue is that the WTC ceremony, which started off as a really terrific thing, seems to be getting hijacked more & more and turned into something I doubt it was never meant to be. And as usual, anyone who criticizes this action, gets labelled a racist ............

FMD !!
You’ve literally taken offence to someone saying ‘this isn’t for the white man’. This again denotes that white people are entitled or owed something or it has to be about them.

You’ll have to do a lot to convince people you don’t have an agenda…

Who colonised Australia?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No he doesn’t, and he is trying to convince us he isn’t racist…
I'll admit it does get terribly overused, especially when white upper managers do it in every Teams/Zoom meeting but there seems to be an abundance of people who think they're being 'welcomed' to Australia and cry "BuT i WaS BOrN HerE!!!!" without having any understanding of what the actual purpose of it is.

So, Brendan Kerin was entirely correct when he said it "wasn't for white people", because it's been around far longer than that.

I'll admit it does get terribly overused, especially when white upper managers do it in every Teams/Zoom meeting but there seems to be an abundance of people who think they're being 'welcomed' to Australia and cry "BuT i WaS BOrN HerE!!!!" without having any understanding of what the actual purpose of it is.

So, Brendan Kerin was entirely correct when he said it "wasn't for white people", because it's been around far longer than that.
Correct. You don’t need 5 in 10 minutes.

And yes, the ‘but I was born here’ comments are just ignorant white people struggling to look beyond the meaning of it. And yes, it’s been around for a long long time.

Ok lets break this down.

So it is ok to have an opinion but if it is considered ignorant by your opinion, than it doesn't count.

So it is best to not have an opinion, just agree with your opinion and all is good.

Got it :thumbsu:
Sometimes it’s best not to have an opinion. If you don’t know anything about a topic then why have an opinion on it?

Welcome to County should be a welcome to country.

No speeches, no comments and no agendas.

Example

"I am Barry Johnson an elder from the .................. nation welcome all to this land. May you be safe, blessed and enjoy the football. Please respect elders past, present and emerging."

Simple, short, and powerful.

Less is more.

So let’s get this right, CC had no agenda coming to Australia? And what happened beyond his arrival had nothing to do with him seeing the country as viable for colonisation?
Captain Cook had many agendas in coming to the other side of the world. Scientific, adventure, exploration and keeping the British Empire as the pre eminent place it was. Every nation and people’s on earth from the tribal to the empirical was about this. I don’t see any problem with Cook, he is one of the most important and remarkable men to have ever lived. We wouldn’t have the country we have without him.
I don’t mind acknowledging Aboriginal cultures and histories, but I would be a hypocrite if I weren’t grateful for the fact that me and my ancestors also moved here, like the aboriginal’s did before my ancestors. Progress has always come to all parts of the earth. You progress or you get left behind. We are all very lucky it was the British people who pioneered this land because English Common Law is still the most progressive and most just and merciful of all systems yet devised. We wouldn’t even have football and the best lifestyle in the world without it.

Captain Cook had many agendas in coming to the other side of the world. Scientific, adventure, exploration and keeping the British Empire as the pre eminent place it was. Every nation and people’s on earth from the tribal to the empirical was about this. I don’t see any problem with Cook, he is one of the most important and remarkable men to have ever lived. We wouldn’t have the country we have without him.
I don’t mind acknowledging Aboriginal cultures and histories, but I would be a hypocrite if I weren’t grateful for the fact that me and my ancestors also moved here, like the aboriginal’s did before my ancestors. Progress has always come to all parts of the earth. You progress or you get left behind. We are all very lucky it was the British people who pioneered this land because English Common Law is still the most progressive and most just and merciful of all systems yet devised. We wouldn’t even have football and the best lifestyle in the world without it.
Still seems incredibly self centred. You can’t be grateful for something you had no choice in. I mean if he didn’t come here then we wouldn’t know.

‘Left behind’, sometimes it’s ok not to have everything.

Remove this Banner Ad

"Welcome To Country" Speeches .......... Gone Too Far Now ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back