Toast Welcome to Fremantle Neil Erasmus (pick 10 2021 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Johnson is ahead of him in the race to replace Fyfe, as we saw in the Richmond game where Fyfe started as Sub and Johnson played inside mid.

Perhaps. I think they may keep him in the skinny winger/mid role.

Either way, I hope Ras keeps the form line up and when he gets a shot, gets full games in the midfield.

I think the only long term danger he has at Freo is Chad.

Otherwise a mid rotation opens up the end of next year.
Ehh, we are playing one too many mids right now to squeeze JOM in for experience and Johnno in because he is too good to be at Peel.

We can pretty easily replace Fyfe with Johnno and bring a winger in.

JOM might open a spot up a year later but that should really go to someone like Cooper Simpson who can play forward/mid like JOM is doing (or just someone who has been as flexible as JOM this year)

Basically its hard to find a spot for Erasmus unless you think he is going to outgrow Johnno, which just based on AFL traits seems farfetched

What Erasmus really needs to do is somehow develop a second position, either that or try to build some more AFL traits

We don't have a position for him atm that is all.. He is improving well at the wafl level. Adding new skills to his game. Has started running out of congestion rather than handballing all the time. Had improved his kicking (but was off a bit last week though). Vision with handball is much improved. Has got his aerial game back. He is 20 years of age, no need to talk about trading at this point unless that is what he wants. Brodie is a different matter though. Doubt we can carry both of them.
The two spots both of those players would fill will be vacated in another year.
Fyfe and Omeara probably gonna keep Erasmus and Brodie out, save for injury.

Ehh, we are playing one too many mids right now to squeeze JOM in for experience and Johnno in because he is too good to be at Peel.

We can pretty easily replace Fyfe with Johnno and bring a winger in.

JOM might open a spot up a year later but that should really go to someone like Cooper Simpson who can play forward/mid like JOM is doing (or just someone who has been as flexible as JOM this year)

Basically its hard to find a spot for Erasmus unless you think he is going to outgrow Johnno, which just based on AFL traits seems farfetched

What Erasmus really needs to do is somehow develop a second position, either that or try to build some more AFL traits
I don't think Erasmus can replace what JoM does so I don't think he's a replacement for him. An actual winger might help there.

If we don't bring Chad in, then I do think we need a mid to replace Fyfe and you shuffle the 2nd roles around just as we'll have to if we get Chad.

There's a role there for sure. Ras' 2nd role has got to be forward.

I don't think Erasmus can replace what JoM does so I don't think he's a replacement for him. An actual winger might help there.

If we don't bring Chad in, then I do think we need a mid to replace Fyfe and you shuffle the 2nd roles around just as we'll have to if we get Chad.

There's a role there for sure. Ras' 2nd role has got to be forward.
This! Actually think Stanley or NOD would be a better replacement for the roles currently being filled by JOM and Johnson (assuming he takes Fyfes role). We have been playing one too many mids when Johnson is in the starting 22 already. As others have alluded to, Switta and Jackson can both play mid minutes if required when we bring in a genuine second winger.

HE IS 20 YEARS OLD.
And may win this years Sandover.
Do NOT trade him.
FFS.
I believe in Raz as a prospect 100%. There's some who see his flaws and think that he's gonna be another high pick tall inside mid flop. Think Riley Collier Dawkins part 2. I don't agree.

But it's just a math problem: you can't carry more than 4 players whose primary position is inside mid. And for the foreseeable future, Serong, Brayshaw and Young will all get midfield time, and Johnson is ahead of Raz as a prospect (granted that's at least partly attributable to Johnson's superior versatility).

If we miss out on Chad Warner, maybe he has a shot. But if we manage to get Chad Warner, there's a good chance the best we'd be able to sell to Raz is a change in primary position (eg: fwd) with spot inside mid minutes. And I just see other teams who aren't as stacked as us in midfield being able to offer way more than that. He'd be a fool not to have his head turned.

Maybe Raz smashes down the doors so much that he forces Freo to change path and grabs that inside mid spot. He forces them to rearrange the magnets. I'd be stoked if he did. But right now, it looks likely that he'll eventually be left with 2 choices: leave for better opportunities or do a Bailey Banfield and re-invent himself positionally.

I believe in Raz as a prospect 100%. There's some who see his flaws and think that he's gonna be another high pick tall inside mid flop. Think Riley Collier Dawkins part 2. I don't agree.

But it's just a math problem: you can't carry more than 4 players whose primary position is inside mid. And for the foreseeable future, Serong, Brayshaw and Young will all get midfield time, and Johnson is ahead of Raz as a prospect (granted that's at least partly attributable to Johnson's superior versatility).

If we miss out on Chad Warner, maybe he has a shot. But if we manage to get Chad Warner, there's a good chance the best we'd be able to sell to Raz is a change in primary position (eg: fwd) with spot inside mid minutes. And I just see other teams who aren't as stacked as us in midfield being able to offer way more than that. He'd be a fool not to have his head turned.

Maybe Raz smashes down the doors so much that he forces Freo to change path and grabs that inside mid spot. He forces them to rearrange the magnets. I'd be stoked if he did. But right now, it looks likely that he'll eventually be left with 2 choices: leave for better opportunities or do a Bailey Banfield and re-invent himself positionally.
He played forward as a younger and I believe he kicked 6 in a colts Grand final or school grand final

Playing inside mid at peel is doing nothing for his AFL chances.
He needs to be playing as a medium forward. That’s his only way into the afl team

Playing inside mid at peel is doing nothing for his AFL chances.
He needs to be playing as a medium forward. That’s his only way into the afl team
How long has Fyfe seriously got?
For all the talk about Erasmus speed, Fyfe is deadset slow, and handballs asap.
Which is a smart move on his behalf.
Doesn’t have an elite leg, so why do so many think Neil won’t make it?
Erasmus numbers at Peel will ensure other clubs will try to poach.
Worner’s rise is not talent driven, worked with a sprint program to fix his
speed. Yet at our club Neil does well in the middle distance, where he is not
required.
Club will look afar for a forward/mid when we could develop our own.
Reckon Fyfe gets to 250 games and that’s it, no way he gets to 300.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How long has Fyfe seriously got?
For all the talk about Erasmus speed, Fyfe is deadset slow, and handballs asap.
Which is a smart move on his behalf.
Doesn’t have an elite leg, so why do so many think Neil won’t make it?
Erasmus numbers at Peel will ensure other clubs will try to poach.
Worner’s rise is not talent driven, worked with a sprint program to fix his
speed. Yet at our club Neil does well in the middle distance, where he is not
required.
Club will look afar for a forward/mid when we could develop our own.
Reckon Fyfe gets to 250 games and that’s it, no way he gets to 300.
We had this debate on another thread not long ago. We are not trying replace the 2024 version of Fyfe. That player is a role player in the shadows of his career, far far removed from the great heights he scaled as a dual Brownlow medalist.
To replace Fyfe, we should be targeting a player that could be as good as prime Fyfe. Not as good as 2024 Fyfe. Heck - Brodie could probably do that tomorrow already.

Erasmus is 20 years old and first needs to prove he is a decent quality AFL player. To my mind he has not done that yet, not even close.
I would be pretty disappointed if the max level Erasmus ever achieves is the same as a washed up Nat Fyfe on his last season or two. He, and the club, should jointly be setting their sights far beyond that.

We need someone to replace the AA version of Nat Fyfe, not this Current version.

I've been wondering about Raz for a while.

I don't watch the WAFL but by all accounts the raw talent is there. So where does he fit into the team exactly? Has he had enough time and consistently strung up enough games to give an indication?

It could be that he is a very good player with loads of talent and potential but might not as a Docker. Some players just need a different environment to thrive and he could be it. He is contracted until 2025. Could he be part of a trade to get the Chad heading west?

Keen to hear what people's takes are on him.

Last edited:
I've been wondering about Raz for a while.

I don't watch the WAFL but by all accounts the raw talent is there. So where does he fit into the team exactly? Has he had enough time and consistently strung up enough games to give an indication?

It could be that he is a very good player with loads of talent and potential but might not as a Docker. Some players just need a different environment to thrive and he could be it. He is contracted until 2025. Could he be part of a trade to get the Chad heading west?

Keen to hear what people's takes are on him.
Need to try him off the HBF , but club has a blinkered approach about trying players in different positions

Need to try him off the HBF , but club has a blinkered approach about trying players in different positions
I don’t have a problem at all with where Erasmus is being played. He is being groomed to takeover a midfield role and has areas of his game where o develop as a midfielder. He does already spend short stints on the wing with Peel but I feel he could spend a bit more time as a forward. Giving players like Emmett and Cooper short stints through the midfield to develop their games further. He is always being close checked and even closed tagged in games and continues to develop. I watch the WAFL and then the highlights and Raz is definitely improving his disposal. He has also been firing out more often better quick handballs to advantage.

Needs to be in the 1sts from now on

Yep,
Too good for Peel. I hope his manager is speaking with the club saying he needs 10 full AFL games next year otherwise we’re asking for a trade. Force the clubs hand to give him a decent run at it. He needs to be taking Fyfe’s spot anyway in 12 months when he retires so it should be a 50/50 split at minimum with blocks of games. Fyfe can be the super sub.

Personally I think he’s improved out of sight. The WAFL is good for fast tracking developing players. Hopefully he improves this offseason and really rounds out our midfield. Serong, Brayshaw, Young, Erasmus, Johnson, NOD, Sharp are my starting 7. I can’t see an aging JOM, Fyfe or Aish holding out an improving Johnson, Erasmus and NOD. Those 7 players have a good variety of size, clean hands and endurance. Missing a bit of pace, but adding Chad Warner will finish that off perfectly next season.

The role Erasmus is probably being developed for, essentially a bit of a centre-fwd-distributor, it won't hurt to really have that extra groundwork and polish from an extended apprenticeship.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to Fremantle Neil Erasmus (pick 10 2021 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back