List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong, Ollie Henry

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope this means you are a convert. Your sins - being an O.Henry sceptic as recently as July - will be forgiven is you pay tribute at the shrine of Ollie promptly.

No, I'm still worried about his production, in any case the vision is more reliable then my memories. I'd more than happy to be wrong.

No, I'm still worried about his production, in any case the vision is more reliable then my memories. I'd more than happy to be wrong.
A simple “I was wrong’ will suffice! :D

41 goals is a lot of goals, but Jack Anthony kicked 50 in year when he was 21.
Interesting logic

I saw someone do something good at a young age who then didn’t end up having a good career, so from now on I am not going to acknowledge that early career success means anything.

I guess that means that Zak Butters is going to be a bust. Phew

41 goals is a lot of goals, but Jack Anthony kicked 50 in year when he was 21.
This season he went from 1.7 to 2.2 goals/assists, 2.9 to 3.7 marks, 3.9 to 5.0 score involvements, 8.1 to 10.3 disposals, 3.0 to 4.9 contested possessions and 0.9 to 1.5 tackles. It was a solid improvement across the board, especially while adjusting to a new club. If he takes a similar step forward next year we've already got a really good player on our hands.

What part of his production are you worried about? Is it the consistent goal kicking or is it the adaption to different roles he has been asked to play?

I hope not
If he's kicking 50-60 goals a year, would it be outlandish to say he's our best player?

The likes of Clark, Holmes etc could still be AA, and not be as good as Ollie in that scenario.

It's redundant anyway, as Toby Conway will be tapping it down to Harley Reid, who's hitting Aaron Cadman lace out.

Cats become the first team to win 5 in-a-row, culminating in a nuclear strike on Punt Rd & Dingley as Steve Hocking uses his connections with the Russian Government to create world peace.

The war in Ukraine is stopped, racism is eliminated, world hunger becomes a relic of the past as Uncle Steve takes reigns as supreme leader of the New World Order.

Interesting logic

I saw someone do something good at a young age who then didn’t end up having a good career, so from now on I am not going to acknowledge that early career success means anything.

I guess that means that Zak Butters is going to be a bust. Phew

lets not build a strawbutters.

You've kind of missed the whole discussion, given that it happened half a season ago. But it boils down to that I don't overly value the goal kicker, they are just the last possession in a chain. The event that causes goals, is usually a risky kick that breaks the lines or a contest won up the ground but the last kick gets all of the credit. To my eye I see what Henry (and a lot of other scoring shots) is as the expected result of a player on marking on the lead.

Other than scoring goals he doesn't do very much. He is a bit the reverse Miers (41 goal 7 assists vs 7 goals 41 assists)

Low goal assists, low I50 counts for a forward, okay CM numbers for his role, low score launches. To my eye he wants to be a KPF, but isn't big enough to do the role. He is definitely improved this year, his defensive efforts have gone up a notch, at key times this year he has had ice in his veins, kicking set shots when others were missing. But I want more from him, he wasn't cheap.

Anyway I'm gonna exit stage left for bit, you guys have fun in the Henry Thread

You've kind of missed the whole discussion, given that it happened half a season ago. But it boils down to that I don't overly value the goal kicker, they are just the last possession in a chain. The event that causes goals, is usually a risky kick that breaks the lines or a contest won up the ground but the last kick gets all of the credit. To my eye I see what Henry (and a lot of other scoring shots) is as the expected result of a player on marking on the lead.

Other than scoring goals he doesn't do very much. He is a bit the reverse Miers (41 goal 7 assists vs 7 goals 41 assists)

Low goal assists, low I50 counts for a forward, okay CM numbers for his role, low score launches. To my eye he wants to be a KPF, but isn't big enough to do the role. He is definitely improved this year, his defensive efforts have gone up a notch, at key times this year he has had ice in his veins, kicking set shots when others were missing. But I want more from him, he wasn't cheap.

Anyway I'm gonna exit stage left for bit, you guys have fun in the Herny Thread
If you are not into strawmen why compare him to Jack Anthony?

Jack Anthony never had the physical tools that Ollie clearly has. Comparing the 2 was pointless.

Hard task master.
He's a gem.
X-factor, resilient, accurate near goals, good grab, he's a HENRY.
He only needs to come close to what he's done this year to be a top 10 player in our team, something Stengle could not do this year.

I’ve warmed to him over the season but like Lana still have a few reservations. Or see areas that he really needs to improve.

He needs a big off-season to strengthen his core. He’s too easy to tackle and far too easily pushed aside in a ground ball contest.

I think he’s a bit on the selfish side. I’ll probably cop flack for this comment but he just looks a “it’s all about me” type player. Think he could be more team orientated.

His defensive game improved as the year went on but it’s still poor. If he strengthens that core as previously mentioned hopefully he can be more effective in that area.

Pretty harsh because he’s still a kid and he’s just kicked 40 goals for the season. No mean effort. But I want to see a more rounded game from him as he develops.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve warmed to him over the season but like Lana still have a few reservations. Or see areas that he really needs to improve.

He needs a big off-season to strengthen his core. He’s too easy to tackle and far too easily pushed aside in a ground ball contest.

I think he’s a bit on the selfish side. I’ll probably cop flack for this comment but he just looks a “it’s all about me” type player. Think he could be more team orientated.

His defensive game improved as the year went on but it’s still poor. If he strengthens that core as previously mentioned hopefully he can be more effective in that area.

Pretty harsh because he’s still a kid and he’s just kicked 40 goals for the season. No mean effort. But I want to see a more rounded game from him as he develops.
I actually agree, but it's one of the things I love about him.

If he can find the balance between being unselfish, but knowing his moment, he'll tear apart finals for us in the future.

He's got a bit of an ego, but almost all the greats do. You have to have that bordering on arrogant self belief, whether you show it externally or not, to be that type of player.

It's guys like young Phillipou who get that wrong. They say the quiet part out loud, but it's the same sentiment. Our dynasty team where not exactly choir boys.

I've said it before, but in a few years time (Maybe ages 24, 25)if we're down in a final, it'll be Ollie Henry taking the game by the scruff of the neck and winning it for us

If you are not into strawmen why compare him to Jack Anthony?

Jack Anthony never had the physical tools that Ollie clearly has. Comparing the 2 was pointless.
Anthony also played full forward as the main target 14 years ago when the game was totally different, it's a ridiculous comparison.

Last edited:
the talk of susperstar is silly IMO

Will he make it as a player - he already has.... so the final resting place in the footy world of folklore and history for OH lies somewhere in the middle.

He's got mad innate skills and natural ability - and credit to Jhye Clark 13 whom about 4 handles ago when Jack was rookied he said to me that if I thought Jack was good, wait till you see Ollie - and he was right.

OH has that Stevie J / Toby Greene kind of skill and freakishness to him - but also the same wasted chances when the impossible goes pear shaped.

Kicking 41 in a year is remarkable in the game today as the 4th forward as a 21 year old.

Just dont put too much expectation on him. I will say his ability to finish is very good and will serve him well going forward.
But ill leave the cape in the locker for now and just be very happy that hes contracted to us, luves it here and will be best 22 for us for many years to come.

GO Catters

But he was cheap. A bunch of junk picks in a shallow draft thid year and a delist player for him.

To my eye he wants to be a KPF, but isn't big enough to do the role. He is definitely improved this year, his defensive efforts have gone up a notch, at key times this year he has had ice in his veins, kicking set shots when others were missing. But I want more from him, he wasn't cheap.
If there is one area of concern it is the above - he plays like a KPF rather than a 3rd tall yet is to short for that role.

I will give you my opinion on a football forum - which im entitled to

And as you have found out on this forum - re your comments Taylor Bruhn - there are some dills on this forum - who if you dont buy the hype on a certain player - then they consider you are barracking against that player - which is 1000% utter rubbish

You mention Amiss who kicked exactly the same amount of goals as O Henry - and in my opinion he has one massive advantage - he has got explosive speed off the mark - O Henry hasnt got that . Cam Mooney had that explosive speed off a standing start - its a great asset for any footballer to have - especially a key forward

The other thing with O Henry - i dont think he has got reliable sticky fingers - he is a 2 grabber - and that left foot kick of Bews that actually went through the goals - it went straight through Henrys hands - he barely touched it - a Geel district player would have taken that mark - but lets not let that get in the way of the hype

Henry is 21 - if he had Gary Rohans explosive pace - but he hasnt - if he marked and kicked like Gary Rohan - but he doesnt - if he had those facets to his game - you would get super excited

On what he has shown at Collingwood and now Geelong - at this stage i think he could be a reasonable player for the Cats - definitely not a super star - no way

Equally, a player doesn’t have to have the assets you mentioned to be a superstar, nor does he have to be condemned to never improving those parts of their game.

In fact if you are kicking 41 goals in a season as the third forward option, at 21 years of age, and you are in deficit when it comes to those areas, it is probably an indicator of just how good the rest of your game actually is.

If he's kicking 50-60 goals a year, would it be outlandish to say he's our best player?

The likes of Clark, Holmes etc could still be AA, and not be as good as Ollie in that scenario.

It's redundant anyway, as Toby Conway will be tapping it down to Harley Reid, who's hitting Aaron Cadman lace out.

Cats become the first team to win 5 in-a-row, culminating in a nuclear strike on Punt Rd & Dingley as Steve Hocking uses his connections with the Russian Government to create world peace.

The war in Ukraine is stopped, racism is eliminated, world hunger becomes a relic of the past as Uncle Steve takes reigns as supreme leader of the New World Order.
He will be our best player in the same way that Steve Johnson was our best player at his absolute peak.

He was the one player in our team at the time (ie. post Gaz move to GC) that the opposition had no answer for.

Equally, a player doesn’t have to have the assets you mentioned to be a superstar, nor does he have to be condemned to never improving those parts of their game.

In fact if you are kicking 41 goals in a season as the third forward option, at 21 years of age, and you are in deficit when it comes to those areas, it is probably an indicator of just how good the rest of your game actually is.
Ollie is an elite runner who can jump out of the building. His one true weakness right now is that he still has a kid’s body. When he adds 5-8kgs and gets stronger (his body type and bloodlines say this is likely) then he will be an absolute nightmare for the opposition.

Being a natural footy player also helps.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong, Ollie Henry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back