• 6 -> 10

Votes: 23 23.2%
  • 11 -> 15

Votes: 37 37.4%
  • 16+

Votes: 37 37.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I decided this notorious "9 clanger" game is a great opportunity to show the limitations in footy stats by reviewing all 9 clangers. I will only describe what they are and when so you can go look for yourself and make your own judgement.

Ok so App tells us there's 9, so that's a clear starting point at least:

Screenshot_20230521_175703_AFL.jpg

Ok, so let's go to the afl app where they show footage of every stat Bruhn recorded in game. The app only lists 7, so already we have two phantoms that may have been miscounted by the stat caller.

So 7 clangers to review and 2 phantoms.

Clanger 1: Q1 8th minute. Tanner runs behind Sav after an intercept to send kick long to contest on 50m arc. Plenty of time and space to get the kick right. Looks to me like he over shot Knevitt and/or Blitz by about 5-10m

Side note: this kick looks like it went about 50m to a contest so a couple of extra metres on the kick and he records an effective disposal. Yet another failing of footy stats.

Clanger 2: Q1 9:30. Tanner picks up an uncontested link up possession hard up against the wing and sends a kick to a Jack Henry/Jordan Clark contest. Kick was too wide to favour Henry and Clark chops it off. It's a turnover yes but he missed the target by maybe 2m on a 40m hit up

Clanger 3: Q1 12:30. Tanner links up with a kick into the forward line targeting Sam Simpson on his own. Kick took too low a trajectory and Clark (again) gets fingers on it deflecting it up and having it land between him and Simpson. If the kick was 2 inches higher Simpson would likely have marked for a shot on goal.

Clanger 4: Q1 21:30. Tanner gets a tap out of the ruck and hack kicks the clearance of his wrong foot while being tackled by Brayshaw. Not exactly an unforced error.

Clanger 5: Q2 16min. Tanner is hit up for a handpass running through traffic but the handpass is too far in front of him. Manages to push it down to bounce it and run onto it but by the time he takes possession Aish is on his left arm. Only gets one hand to it after the bounce which he uses to try make a kick. Looks like he pushes the ball down for his kick without ever really controlling the ball. Was probably trying to soccer through congestion but didn't get the purchase which bounces it up for the freo player in front of him. I don't understand how stats listed this as an uncontested possession given it's in congestion and he has Aish tackling him mid kick. In retrospect probably could have taken possession and got wrapped up in the tackle but given our ruck disadvantage I wouldn't be surprised if players were directed to avoid creating stoppages.

Clanger 6: Q4 1:50. Ceglar hits him up just outside 50 and sends a kick towards Hawkins out on the full.

Clanger 7: Q4 16:00. Handball recieve on the left wing boundary just outside 50. Intention was to hit a 45m kick to Henry top of the square and resulting kick was a looping helicopter about 15-20m off. A shank, but I'll forgive the kick as he made it on his left. The real issue was a decision to hit up Henry with the long wrong footed kick rather than Hawkins. I can forgive the kick a lot more than the decision.

The thing for me is that, yes, technically all 7 of these are "clangers". In my opinion though the last two are the only ones that match the way we use the word.

I decided this notorious "9 clanger" game is a great opportunity to show the limitations in footy stats by reviewing all 9 clangers. I will only describe what they are and when so you can go look for yourself and make your own judgement.

Ok so App tells us there's 9, so that's a clear starting point at least:

View attachment 1693245

Ok, so let's go to the afl app where they show footage of every stat Bruhn recorded in game. The app only lists 7, so already we have two phantoms that may have been miscounted by the stat caller.

So 7 clangers to review and 2 phantoms.

Clanger 1: Q1 8th minute. Tanner runs behind Sav after an intercept to send kick long to contest on 50m arc. Plenty of time and space to get the kick right. Looks to me like he over shot Knevitt and/or Blitz by about 5-10m

Side note: this kick looks like it went about 50m to a contest so a couple of extra metres on the kick and he records an effective disposal. Yet another failing of footy stats.

Clanger 2: Q1 9:30. Tanner picks up an uncontested link up possession hard up against the wing and sends a kick to a Jack Henry/Jordan Clark contest. Kick was too wide to favour Henry and Clark chops it off. It's a turnover yes but he missed the target by maybe 2m on a 40m hit up

Clanger 3: Q1 12:30. Tanner links up with a kick into the forward line targeting Sam Simpson on his own. Kick took too low a trajectory and Clark (again) gets fingers on it deflecting it up and having it land between him and Simpson. If the kick was 2 inches higher Simpson would likely have marked for a shot on goal.

Clanger 4: Q1 21:30. Tanner gets a tap out of the ruck and hack kicks the clearance of his wrong foot while being tackled by Brayshaw. Not exactly an unforced error.

Clanger 5: Q2 16min. Tanner is hit up for a handpass running through traffic but the handpass is too far in front of him. Manages to push it down to bounce it and run onto it but by the time he takes possession Aish is on his left arm. Only gets one hand to it after the bounce which he uses to try make a kick. Looks like he pushes the ball down for his kick without ever really controlling the ball. Was probably trying to soccer through congestion but didn't get the purchase which bounces it up for the freo player in front of him. I don't understand how stats listed this as an uncontested possession given it's in congestion and he has Aish tackling him mid kick. In retrospect probably could have taken possession and got wrapped up in the tackle but given our ruck disadvantage I wouldn't be surprised if players were directed to avoid creating stoppages.

Clanger 6: Q4 1:50. Ceglar hits him up just outside 50 and sends a kick towards Hawkins out on the full.

Clanger 7: Q4 16:00. Handball recieve on the left wing boundary just outside 50. Intention was to hit a 45m kick to Henry top of the square and resulting kick was a looping helicopter about 15-20m off. A shank, but I'll forgive the kick as he made it on his left. The real issue was a decision to hit up Henry with the long wrong footed kick rather than Hawkins. I can forgive the kick a lot more than the decision.

The thing for me is that, yes, technically all 7 of these are "clangers". In my opinion though the last two are the only ones that match the way we use the word.
Thanks for the time you put into that. Amazing how some want to criticise a 20 year old Geelong player who has had to take on a midfield role in a depleted team, in his first year with us.

Thanks for the time you put into that. Amazing how some want to criticise a 20 year old Geelong player who has had to take on a midfield role in a depleted team, in his first year with us.
Yeah I mean a better, more experienced player might have done a lot more with those first 5 looks, especially the first one, but we shouldn't expect Chris Judd with a 20s pick

My eyes tell me that Bruhn has a bit of a habit of kicking the ball out on the full when unpressured and passing to a forward that leads close to the boundary or the pocket.

It's not a hangable offense by any stretch... but it's just a fact that he has done it 3 or 4 times this year in the AFL and also at least once in the one VFL match he played.

He also seems to tumble the ball end over end a bit when kicking on his left.

I don't need to see stats to know that he isn't damaging by foot at the moment.

I have actually been impressed with his inside work and he seems to be getting on the move a bit more around stoppages which is a good sign, but I have always said he is solid on the inside... In a couple of years, he may be well up on being solid inside the contest.

So for me (one of his biggest critics) I will say that he is tracking ok.

As per usual it's much the same with him... He is good on the inside but needs to improve on his tank, outside spread and now his kicking, which I've had a big enough sample size to notice patterns forming in certain situations.

I'm sure he is working on it and If he can put it all together it'll be good times with him.

Last edited:
How flat was BTs commentary of that.... Granted the game was pretty much done but that doesn't normally stop him in that situation giving the moment what it deserves and usually going over the top hyping up an unlikely comeback
He's the ultimate fanboi, really. If Dusty had kicked this goal (no matter the scoreline in the game), I genuinely believe BT would have almost instantaneously gone into cardiac arrest.

Less tog than anyone else except moc and ceg/simpson yet more tackles than any other geelong player. If attitude is anything this kid is going to be a really good player.

Still needs to improve his outside game at times but i could see that growing tonight he is starting to find confidence. When the kid does he will be a player he has all the tools.

And that tackle on bont summed up his night it was FIERCE.

Another good performance from Bruhn...realyy developing well and improving with every game. 12 tackles shows commitment to the cause.

Will play 150+ for Geelong barring injury.

Making a few "pundits" in here look pretty silly imo.

Another good performance from Bruhn...realyy developing well and improving with every game. 12 tackles shows commitment to the cause.

Will play 150+ for Geelong barring injury.

Making a few "pundits" in here look pretty silly imo.
But have you considered we could have added... checks notes .... Darcy Jones at that pick?

But have you considered we could have added... checks notes .... Darcy Jones at that pick?

To be fair poor jones is out with an acl.
But bruhn would always have been a very good trade for what we paid regardless.

I'll have to watch the game but definitely sounds like he gave it a crack based on the other threads. 15 touches and only 2 contested possessions going by the stats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll have to watch the game but definitely sounds like he gave it a crack based on the other threads. 15 touches and only 2 contested possessions going by the stats.

I'd wager the Cats coaches designated a pretty important role for him last night (and others), which was to contest every single ball vs a vaunted opponent.
Disposals was less important than tackles and general pressure around the contest which ensured the dogs spread and run wouldn't hurt us in the end, and he did that role very well.
I'm actually happy we are seeing this Tanner vs a high possession "easy" Tanner, he's showing some seriously good character to just go about his role without much fanfare or expectation from himself and he's doing it well.
He, like Knevitt and even Ollie Henry, had moments in the last quarter with the game on the line and came up with clutch moments.
Sure I'd LOVE a 30 disposal, 8 clearances game to go along with his 12 tackles but he's still developing, and looking at the reputation of GWS "development system", I reckon he's starting a bit further back than anticipated.

If you want stat counts, Smith had our second highest disposals at 22 but I don't think anyone will really say he impacted the contest.

Bruhn applied a heap of pressure and was a big reason the dogs midfield didn't just smash us at will. 12 tackles, 34 pressure acts to go with his goal and 15 disposals.

One can really see that the chance to ply more on ball is seeing him develop and grow. Great to see... except if you are someone lIke Parfitt I guess

I suspect like a couple of other kids we have, some will have reservations about them till they star in a big finals type win . Thats their prerogative , its a board based on opinion

I feel considering what we have paid .. the likes of Bruhn , Kneviit and Henry have been fantatsic adds this year. Yes mistakes and inconsistencies.... its call playing kids. I look at our recent history in draft .... the way we added the likes of Bruhn and Henry have been ultra effective. Once all three get to 75 odd games , plenty will be look at us an wonder how we avoided a vile bottoming out that some clubs have. I want Clark to get fit and him to to bring what he can add ...and for us to continue to add to the bottom of our list ...if the right player becomes available

One can really see that the chance to ply more on ball is seeing him develop and grow. Great to see... except if you are someone lIke Parfitt I guess

I suspect like a couple of other kids we have, some will have reservations about them till they star in a big finals type win . Thats their prerogative , its a board based on opinion

I feel considering what we have paid .. the likes of Bruhn , Kneviit and Henry have been fantatsic adds this year. Yes mistakes and inconsistencies.... its call playing kids. I look at our recent history in draft .... the way we added the likes of Bruhn and Henry have been ultra effective. Once all three get to 75 odd games , plenty will be look at us an wonder how we avoided a vile bottoming out that some clubs have. I want Clark to get fit and him to to bring what he can add ...and for us to continue to add to the bottom of our list ...if the right player becomes available

I think parfitt has been very good for us for a long time but bruhn has more upside and its obvious to me he will become a very good player if we give him chances to grow. I agree our trade period last year was very important in bridging the age and talent gaps on our list. I think someone like parf needs to be a backup player now in case of injuries.

Was very good all night. Worked hard. Showed good skills. Wanted to win. I was impressed- again.
Make that 2 of us R1👍
Had a role to play and cracked in hard all night.
Massive tick for Tanner and Knevitt last night with the ever reliable Atkins adding to our unheralded midfield.
Fantastic win by the Club✅

Both Bruhn & Knevitt come across as shy kids (going by interviews I’ve seen), and if you give them a chance and a sense of belonging within the team we’ll see the best of them. Especially being young kids coming into an experienced team.
I reckon Scott put it on both of them to show him & themselves what they can do and that they can have a significant part to play not just in the future but in the now.
I remember Chappy in his first couple of seasons going through something similar early on, until a conversation with Bomber who told him what he could be and to play with the handbrake off. Had a break out game vs Melb at the ‘G and never looked back.
Phoenix Foster on the other hand doesn’t seem to be lacking in the self confidence department. With him you might have to take a bit of an opposite approach.

I think your are referring to a xenomorph facehugger ... what a visual description .. The only thing he lacks is the spring from an egg ....

Yes... doesn't mind wrapping guys up full-chested.

He once again overcooked a couple of passes to guys on the lead... for some reason, he has a habit of kicking it over their heads... Anyway, his kick is sound but just needs to adjust that and probably will in time.

Sometimes a team just needs to win via determination and effort over skill and last night we did that and Bruhn was as tough at the opposition as anyone which is a good sign.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong, Tanner Bruhn

Back