Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Jasper Scaife - Pick 5, 2024 MSD

Remove this Banner Ad

Like most I hold high hopes for Scaife but I don’t think we should be using the success of Dear in the senior team as a yard stick.
Don’t under estimate the impact walking into a club and having someone like Gunners take you under their wing. He had a preseason with him, then sitting down going over weekly footage of his games, then having his mentor stand next to him on the field.
Sharing the sad loss of their Dads drew them together and from the outside looking in I believe we have all seen the benefits of that relationship.
Can Scaife be a player? He’s got the tools, but let’s just temper our early expectations. Looking at him it’s easy to forget he’s still a kid.

No point playing an injured 19 year old, if you have a more physically developed but also raw teammate in the wings.

Sammy wanted someone ready to go when he drafted him. We got him, and the seas may have parted if Dear's ribs are no good.

Looking forward to his first game in the seniors.

When the cupboard is bare you get them in early through necessity.

Didn’t he just kick 1.4 and 2 OOBOTF? He’s obviously doing a lot of things right especially given that he’s just started. I really like the kids determination and confidence in declaring he wants to be a 200 game player in the brown and gold …… so when you get an opportunity grab it with both hands son!

No point playing an injured 19 year old, if you have a more physically developed but also raw teammate in the wings.

Sammy wanted someone ready to go when he drafted him. We got him, and the seas may have parted if Dear's ribs are no good.

Looking forward to his first game in the seniors.

When the cupboard is bare you get them in early through necessity.
Yup… he was drafted as a fwd if Mitch went down.

Mitch went down… so PLAY SCAFFE.

Rama is a long term player.

I've always thought the way teams get back and defensively flood the forward 50s these days having a key forward who can lead and take marks outside the 50m mark and bang through some long goals would be a good way to combat that flooding.

Such a strong lower body, built like the proverbial outhouse!
This has been known for a while. I remember Rocca bombing 65m goals against a st kilda mega flood in like 2002.

This has been known for a while. I remember Rocca bombing 65m goals against a st kilda mega flood in like 2002.
And yet it’s funny how rarely you see players kick goals from outside 50m these days.

Take Sic as an example, I’ve seen him kick goals from 55m out that clear the goal line easily, why don’t we try and give him the ball more often when we have it around the 50m arc? Be a higher percentage play than trying to pinpoint a pass in a congested forward line or just bombing it long to the forward square.

And yet it’s funny how rarely you see players kick goals from outside 50m these days.

Take Sic as an example, I’ve seen him kick goals from 55m out that clear the goal line easily, why don’t we try and give him the ball more often when we have it around the 50m arc? Be a higher percentage play than trying to pinpoint a pass in a congested forward line or just bombing it long to the forward square.
When I think of Sic playing footy one of the visions I have in my head is him kicking goals from outside 50.

I’m sure he does it more often than you think, unless my memories are just stuck on a loop from a few yrs ago

When I think of Sic playing footy one of the visions I have in my head is him kicking goals from outside 50.

I’m sure he does it more often than you think, unless my memories are just stuck on a loop from a few yrs ago
Hasn't hit em for a while now. Reckon 2018 was the last time he was doing it reliably.

Opposition teams are too switched on to those, they shut them down very quickly. The stand rule and the umpires being very stingy about how close players can be on the mark, where they come from to receive the ball have also reduced the opportunities available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ideal game.

Small crowd to temper his nerves, and once the first game is out of the way, I doubt if he'd stress again.

I've watched all of his VFL games.

He's ready - and with no Darcy or Pearce Freo are a bit light down back, so even better.

Play him Sam.

I'll state it right now - if he plays a full game - Jasper will kick at least 3.

Last four years he's only kicked five goals (one goal so far this year).

I don't understand why we don't look to use that leg of his more often, the further out from the goal square you go the harder it is to flood / play zone defense so we should be able to feed him "relatively" easy just outside the 50m mark

Probably the issue is he has had to be out key defender the last four years so he hasn't had the opportunity to float forward as much.

I liken it to when Steph Curry started to drain 3 pointers from 3 feet outside the NBA 3 point line. If you can hit a long three (goal outside 50m) it becomes a higher percentage play than trying to score a bucket in the paint (pinpoint a kick into a flooded forward 50m).

That's what I hope Scaife can bring, a long range threat from outside 50m.

Ideal game.

Small crowd to temper his nerves, and once the first game is out of the way, I doubt if he'd stress again.

I've watched all of his VFL games.

He's ready - and with no Darcy or Pearce Freo are a bit light down back, so even better.

Play him Sam.

I'll state it right now - if he plays a full game - Jasper will kick at least 3.
Pearce is a test for this week

Big guy that can move requires big defender
2 x Big guys that can move requires 2 big defenders.

If Freo are light on, odds on one of Skaife or Chol getting free are high I'd think?

A guy I work with is a cousin of the Rocca brothers. Fondly enough he's our IT guy and has sticks for legs and is built absolutely nothing like Saverio or Anthony. In regards to Anthony hopefully he comes out the other end of his recent diagnosis of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back