Player Watch Welcome to Richmond Pick 29 - Sam Banks

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why there is so much angst with this guy, hasn't been played enough, needs to develop.
I'm prepared to keep and see how he goes over the next few seasons.
Seems like he’s been playing that far side wing as well that can be very inconsistent in terms of getting opportunities to actually be part of the action or just blocking space and guarding his man

Seems like he’s been playing that far side wing as well that can be very inconsistent in terms of getting opportunities to actually be part of the action or just blocking space and guarding his man
I hope not as that's poor coaching and negative tactics. He's too light and weak compared to his opponent. The excuses are over for some of these guys as they've been in the system long enough. Time to try Coulthard, Trezise, Smith or Green now as I've seen enough.

when your mids are getting smashed it's hard for the wing to have an impact. I think he is fine, just needs to add some frame to his size. Bit light but that is the major issue with all our young guys it seems.

I hope not as that's poor coaching and negative tactics. He's too light and weak compared to his opponent. The excuses are over for some of these guys as they've been in the system long enough. Time to try Coulthard, Trezise, Smith or Green now as I've seen enough.
I tend to agree with you a bit, i guess with regards to this guy I see it differently and that's ok. Only drafted in 21 so has been here 2 years. I am willing to see how he goes for a few more.

Na I don’t think so
Can’t really say I remember him specifically losing any contests or getting brushed away

Just didn’t have many opportunities to showcase it
But could be wrong

Na I don’t think so
Can’t really say I remember him specifically losing any contests or getting brushed away

Just didn’t have many opportunities to showcase it
But could be wrong
He's got no hurt factor and he's not quick or strong enough to be a modern day wingman. He's a slow HBF which means not AFL standard.

Last edited:
Think he’s a fair way off being ready.
Get him back to the 2s and see if he can get some form. Actually thought he was a bit lucky to get his opportunity when he did, wasn’t as though he’d been lighting it up in the 2s, actually missed a game or 2 from injury and from memory came straight in, which surprised me at the time

I tend to agree with you a bit, i guess with regards to this guy I see it differently and that's ok. Only drafted in 21 so has been here 2 years. I am willing to see how he goes for a few more.
It's his third season and looks U16 size. Not big enough or strong or fast enough to play Wing .

He's got no hurt factor and he's not quick or strong enough to be a modern day wingman. He's a slow HFF which means not AFL standard.
Possibly but let’s be honest it’s not exactly the best environment to judge him right now either

If stars and seasoned players players aren’t impacting for us right now specifically in the midfield and forward line it’s unrealistic to expect younger players to do the same when they would be extremely low on confidence right now and confidence tends to be that little thing that can make kids be competitive against bigger and stronger opponents

It's his third season and looks U16 size. Not big enough or strong or fast enough to play Wing .
Fair enough, was thinking today how Dow looked so damn skinny especially in the arms and shoulders, then Sonsie looked light too and as you say Banks.
Our conditioning staff have been enjoying the good years I reckon and not enough time spent on the next soldiers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly but let’s be honest it’s not exactly the best environment to judge him right now either

If stars and seasoned players players aren’t impacting for us right now specifically in the midfield and forward line it’s unrealistic to expect younger players to do the same when they would be extremely low on confidence right now and confidence tends to be that little thing that can make kids be competitive against bigger and stronger opponents
Probably why he'll survive, but i'm not holding my breath with him. Just disappointed Juddy got injured bc HRS and him were my preference for Wings. Clarke had bulked up heaps this year and was ready to take off before disaster hit. I hope i'm wrong with Banks, but looks like a list clogger and vanilla footballer.

Fair enough, was thinking today how Dow looked so damn skinny especially in the arms and shoulders, then Sonsie looked light too and as you say Banks.
Our conditioning staff have been enjoying the good years I reckon and not enough time spent on the next soldiers.
We need this to change and it should've happened at the end of last year.

Last edited:
Need to remember they are also playing on players who have been in the system longer

As young as Freos midfield group is Serong and Young are 23 and Brayshaw is 24
Those few years between 21 and 23 massive in terms of the ability to gain size especially for males

Need to remember they are also playing on players who have been in the system longer

As young as Freos midfield group is Serong and Young are 23 and Brayshaw is 24
Those few years between 21 and 23 massive in terms of the ability to gain size especially for males
Their second gamer today looked like a beast compared to Banks and Dow. Sonsie is fine and has bulked up heaps this year.

Their second gamer today looked like a beast compared to Banks and Dow. Sonsie is fine and has bulked up heaps this year.
He also had experienced big bodies around him and no big bodied opponents of course he looked like a beast

If the tables were turned and he was playing against Taranto and Hopper with his only support from sub 50 game players around him do you think he would of looked as impressive?

He also had experienced big bodies around him and no big bodied opponents of course he looked like a beast

If the tables were turned and he was playing against Taranto and Hopper with his only support from sub 50 game players around him do you think he would of looked as impressive?
yes

Anyone who has watched him at either level in the past two seasons would know that he plays his best footy at half back and has struggled on the wing at both grades. He was promoted after the playing VFL against Werribee were he was quiet for three quarters on the wing before he went behind the ball and in the last and immediately become one of the more damaging players on the ground.

We should be looking at either Brindley or Austin Johnson from our VFL program as MSD pick ups as both of those guys play the wing better than any prospects currently on our list. Brindley can also play key back, forward and ruck. I really think given we have two picks in the draft that he should be offered an opportunity.

I'm happy for the kids to get games we're getting nothing with Macca and Pickett on the wing and there is no problem rotating the kids either.

I thought he both looked a bit lost at times and did a few lovely things. Couple of times he had pressure on him and hit a difficult target very well. So a lot to like, well some stuff to like. But he wasn't dynamic.

Glass with 50% of its volume filled in.

Needs to find a way to get more involved. Barely noticed him yesterday. I like him though and has good skills so there's enough to work with there.
Coulthard needs to come in though. I'd prefer KMAC be dropped with Campbell moving to sub. Wouldn't be surprised if Banks gets dropped though.

Anyone who has watched him at either level in the past two seasons would know that he plays his best footy at half back and has struggled on the wing at both grades. He was promoted after the playing VFL against Werribee were he was quiet for three quarters on the wing before he went behind the ball and in the last and immediately become one of the more damaging players on the ground.

We should be looking at either Brindley or Austin Johnson from our VFL program as MSD pick ups as both of those guys play the wing better than any prospects currently on our list. Brindley can also play key back, forward and ruck. I really think given we have two picks in the draft that he should be offered an opportunity.
Agree that Banks is a HBF, flip him with Dan - (Rioli on the wing would be damaging and result with goals on the board). With Miller and Brown alongside Banks we have great footskills to find Rioli and Hugo

Definitely don't need another wing from our VFL kids when Coulthard is killing it and not getting a call up.

I think that we should be taking from outside our VFL program with our first two MSD picks ... we need goal kicking ... if Grimes decides Father Time has caught up before then by all means elevate Brindley or Mutaz with a third pick freed up by his retirement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back