Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - COOPER SHARMAN!

Remove this Banner Ad

Derm is pretty hard to listen to but I'll make an exception when he's chatting about forwards and their leading patterns.

I remember thinking something similar about his little circle work after I think it was Kent's second long goal. There was an angle from behind the goals, and you can see Coop baulk and fake a couple of times, and then turn who ever was on him inside out. My first thought was damn, if Max King could do more of that, he'd be unstoppable. But King has been doing more of that lately, so happy days.
You get the feeling that I'd those two can be moving a lot in the F50, and our mids can start hitting them up on the lead, then we'll be a much better team going forward. No more long bombs means more F50 marks on the one hand, but it also means less easy rebounds for the opposition on the other.
Also, just wanted to give a shout out to Coops assists and blocks over his 4 game period. Bloody exciting stuff that shows he has a real understanding of the game, and has the potential to be the perfect foil for Max

If it was possible to give negative fu**s, that would be the amount of fu**s i would give about rising star nominations.
We have an absolute beauty here. I hope the only award he ever wins is a premiership.
I wouldn't mind if he also get the Coleman that year too?

If it was possible to give negative fu**s, that would be the amount of fu**s i would give about rising star nominations.
We have an absolute beauty here. I hope the only award he ever wins is a premiership.
I can’t believe he wasn‘t inducted into the hall of fame. The AFL have really got it in for us.

Might be the first player to get 2nd most coaches votes and a brownlow vote for a game yet miss the rising star nom for the week.
Hey, we’re gonna have the last laugh. That’s all that matters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skully, Trengrove, Watts

First round picks since 2003.

2003, Raph Clarke, pick 8
2004, Andrew McQualter, pick 17
2005, Swapped pick for Fergus Watts
2006, David Armitage, pick9
2007, Ben McEvoy, pick 9
2008, Tom Lynch, pick 13
2009, Traded for Andrew Lovett
2010, Jamie Cripps, pick 24
2011, Seb Ross, pick 25
2012, Traded for Tom Hickey
2013, Jack Billings, pick 3, Dunstan pick 18, Acres pick 19
2014, Paddy McCartin, pick 1, Hugh Goddard pick 21
2015, Jade Gresham, pick 18 after pick swap for Jake Carlisle
2016, traded pick 10 for a future first and second and third rounders.
2017, Hunter Clark, pick 7, Nick Coffield, pick 8
2018, Max King, pick 4
2019, Traded for Brad Hill
2020, Matthew Allison, pick 26

So far Max King is the only one I would think looks like being a star quality player. Clark, Coff and Gresham still high potential though. That's absolute shit considering the amount of those years where we finished nowhere near finals. For all the shit Richo copped this is where you look to see why we have been shit for so long.

Last edited:
First round picks since 2003.

2003, Raph Clarke, pick 8
2004, Andrew McQualter, pick 17
2005, Swapped pick for Fergus Watts
2006, David Armitage, pick9
2007, Ben McEvoy, pick 9
2008, Tom Lynch, pick 13
2009, Traded for Andrew Lovett
2010, Jamie Cripps, pick 24
2011, Seb Ross, pick 25
2012, Traded for Tom Hickey
2013, Jack Billings, pick 3, Dunstan pick 18, Acres pick 19
2014, Paddy McCartin, pick 1
2015, Jade Gresham, pick 18 after pick swap for Jake Carlisle
2016, traded pick 10 for a future first and second and third rounders.
2017, Hunter Clark, pick 7, Nick Coffield, pick 8
2018, Max King, pick 4
2019, Traded for Brad Hill
2020, Matthew Allison, pick 26

So far Max King is the only one I would think looks like being a star quality player. Clark, Coff and Gresham still high potential though. That's absolute sh*t considering the amount of those years where we finished nowhere near finals. For all the sh*t Richo copped this is where you look to see why we have been sh*t for so long.
I wish l hadn't seen that...

Why?

Its not like we're alone in picking players who don't turn out to be guns. Lets average it out at pick 8 - how many genuine stars in this lot

View attachment 1219316

Alright lets compare it to Western Bulldogs
2003, Adam Cooney pick 1, Farren Ray pick 4.
2004, Ryan Griffen, pick 3, Tom Williams pick 6
2005, Shaun Higgins pick 11
2006, Andreas Everett pick 11
2007, Jarrod Grant pick 5
2008, Ayce Cordy pick 14 FS
2009, Christian Howard pick 15
2010, Mitch Wallis pick 22 FS
2011, Clay Smith pick 17
2012, Stringer 5, Macrae 6, Hrovat 21
2013, Bont pick 4
2014, Traded for Boyd
2015, Traded pick 11 for 20 and 21 (Dunkley and Kieran Collins)
2016 Tim English
2017 Naughton 9, Ed Richards 16
2018, Bailey Smith pick 7
2019, Cody Weightman
2020, Ugle-Hagan.

Bont, Macrae, Cooney, Griffen, Higgins all top shelf players or better. Stringer is close to that. Smith and Naughton projecting to become elite and English extremely promising, Ugle- Hagen and Weightman too early to tell but look good too.
Dunkley not counted as he was a start of second rounder but also a gun. They have missed heaps but when they nailed them they really got them right.

Generally after about Pick 5 the draft becomes a bit of a lottery. Sometimes it starts as early as Pick 1.

Y
Alright lets compare it to Western Bulldogs
2003, Adam Cooney pick 1, Farren Ray pick 4.
2004, Ryan Griffen, pick 3, Tom Williams pick 6
2005, Shaun Higgins pick 11
2006, Andreas Everett pick 11
2007, Jarrod Grant pick 5
2008, Ayce Cordy pick 14 FS
2009, Christian Howard pick 15
2010, Mitch Wallis pick 22 FS
2011, Clay Smith pick 17
2012, Stringer 5, Macrae 6, Hrovat 21
2013, Bont pick 4
2014, Traded for Boyd
2015, Traded pick 11 for 20 and 21 (Dunkley and Kieran Collins)
2016 Tim English
2017 Naughton 9, Ed Richards 16
2018, Bailey Smith pick 7
2019, Cody Weightman
2020, Ugle-Hagan.

Bont, Macrae, Cooney, Griffen, Higgins all top shelf players or better. Stringer is close to that. Smith and Naughton projecting to become elite and English extremely promising, Ugle- Hagen and Weightman too early to tell but look good too.
Dunkley not counted as he was a start of second rounder but also a gun. They have missed heaps but when they nailed them they really got them right.
ou are always do this so many sliding door moments with recruiting. So many factors including development, coaching, injuries. Goddard doesn’t rupture his Achilles , Padfy doesn’t get comcussed. If we take Naughton maybe we never get King. Maybe we never trade for Steele.

Generally after about Pick 5 the draft becomes a bit of a lottery. Sometimes it starts as early as Pick 1.

Wow. Have done extremely well out of picks we got really cheaply - especially as Sharman is only 1 year old! 🤣

Y

ou are always do this so many sliding door moments with recruiting. So many factors including development, coaching, injuries. Goddard doesn’t rupture his Achilles , Padfy doesn’t get comcussed. If we take Naughton maybe we never get King. Maybe we never trade for Steele.

Absolutely but go through the top 20 players every year and overwhelmingly they are high first rounders. There are always a few exceptions like Fyfe, Neale, Steele etc but you generally get your top players I that first 10 to 15 picks.

The favourites for the 2021 Brownlow: Oliver pick 4, Boak pick 5, Bont pick 4, Pick 5, Petracca pick 2, Merrett pick 26, Wines pick 7, Steele 24 but academy pick so was bid on earlier.

We are lacking top end talent and that's exactly where we have failed. We have hardly had any AA in that period, don't have many in the rising star awards etc. By most measures we have been extremely poor at drafting up until recently. Lethlean came three years ago and has culled 3/4 of the list. I'd say there are 4 to 6 players from the list he took over that will be best 22 next year if Billings, Dunny and Ross go so I think the club agree with me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - COOPER SHARMAN!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back