Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - ISAAC KEELER!

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe Adelaide just aren't a very well run club at the moment? All evidence points that way...
He was training with em
Never busted his ass
Just did enough to get by on talent
They saw this and passed
Them not taking him is hopefully a kick in his ass and he steps up

One thing that does make me nervous about so many high potential but a little fragile prospects is the fact that we have a virgin development coach in Brendan Goddard.

Now I know that he has more experienced people around him doing the same job and helping out, but he is in charge of 1st to 4th year players and it's vital that we don't burn an otherwise mercurial prospect by coaching him clumsily - It's obvious that someone like Keller needs a specific approach, someone who knows player psychology. BJ was a very different person and I hope he can relate to a player who would need a vastly different guide.

He's not in charge of development is he? Damian Carroll would be that person. Jack Batchelor is still working in development as well as VFL coach.
I see him as pretty much replacing the rookie development coach we had last year.

Jacobs had gone straight from playing to his role at the Saints.

Didn’t work hard enough early on
Was told he could be a gun player if he knuckles down really hard and could set himself up for later life

It’s why he has the deficiencies most have talked about, didn’t want to bust his ass

It’s now or never and I’m 50/50 on him

Natural talent
Just needs to take a big step and want to do it

Yeah the penny drops for some guys but not everyone, fingers crossed we can make it happen for Keeler

Totally got me bamboozled as to why the Crows didn't nominate Keeler. I was certain he would drift but just by the look of his footy skills and his athleticism (even if the Crows think his commitment is a bit hazy) it just seems plain crazy not to have nominated him.

So there can be only three reasons why they didn't

1 They were so certain he would be drafted well before Pick 40 so they didn't bother.

2 They were so certain he's not worth drafting at all even at Pick 55 which was the last pick they had.

or

3 They are complete idiots

Totally got me bamboozled as to why the Crows didn't nominate Keeler. I was certain he would drift but just by the look of his footy skills and his athleticism (even if the Crows think his commitment is a bit hazy) it just seems plain crazy not to have nominated him.

So there can be only three reasons why they didn't

1 They were so certain he would be drafted well before Pick 40 so they didn't bother.

2 They were so certain he's not worth drafting at all even at Pick 55 which was the last pick they had.

or

3 They are complete idiots
I'd go with 1.

Did we nominate C-Mac?

Do you know a bit more Mav?
As I said earlier, I've watched him train and play for the last 2 years. He wasn't as committed as he should have been at the start of last year but he changed Schools in year 12 so he could play a full season in the SANFL U18 and not have to play 2nd tier college footy in Adelaide. And then this year he did every right to push himself to get better and better. He's well and truly committed, and has no problem with moving interstate. Having Nas there as well will really help him settle. Oh, and the Crows academy program sucks.

As I said earlier, I've watched him train and play for the last 2 years. He wasn't as committed as he should have been at the start of last year but he changed Schools in year 12 so he could play a full season in the SANFL U18 and not have to play 2nd tier college footy in Adelaide. And then this year he did every right to push himself to get better and better. He's well and truly committed, and has no problem with moving interstate. Having Nas there as well will really help him settle. Oh, and the Crows academy program sucks.
OK, thanks Mav, sounds he has a bit to do but so does every draftee. Great to hear he is really committed. Hopefully he will make Adelaide rue the day they didn't nom him.
Doubt he would be keen to go back to them after being snubbed.

One thing that does make me nervous about so many high potential but a little fragile prospects is the fact that we have a virgin development coach in Brendan Goddard.

Now I know that he has more experienced people around him doing the same job and helping out, but he is in charge of 1st to 4th year players and it's vital that we don't burn an otherwise mercurial prospect by coaching him clumsily - It's obvious that someone like Keller needs a specific approach, someone who knows player psychology. BJ was a very different person and I hope he can relate to a player who would need a vastly different guide.
There is Damian Carroll, and he is very experienced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I heard we were after him a couple of weeks ago I watched his highlights and it's really hard to understand how he wasn't in top ten calculations. Seriously if you watched those highlights you could understand him being a number one pick. It's really hard to fathom how he got through to 44 but let's hope we make the other clubs (especially Crows) regret it.

When I heard we were after him a couple of weeks ago I watched his highlights and it's really hard to understand how he wasn't in top ten calculations. Seriously if you watched those highlights you could understand him being a number one pick. It's really hard to fathom how he got through to 44 but let's hope we make the other clubs (especially Crows) regret it.
It's possible Adelaide not nominating him played some mind games with a lot of recruiters, same as how we are thinking there must be some issues.

“They chose not to nominate me because they didn’t have a pick around then,” Keeler explained

Crows pick 43 - Not Keeler
Saints pick 44 - Keeler

Ohhhh you Crows.....

Will Ferrell Movie GIF by filmeditor

I agree, looks like he could have been picked much earlier going by the highlights reel

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - ISAAC KEELER!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back