Toast Welcome to the SUNS - Ben Ainsworth

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2016/11/25/two-country-mates-end-up-at-suns-together/

Ben Ainsworth was thrilled to be drafted to the same AFL club as good friend Will Brodie after both were selected by the Gold Coast Suns in the national draft on Friday night.

The small forward and captain of Gippsland Power will move north with a talented inside midfielder in Brodie as two of the Suns’ four selections inside the top ten.

“It’s been a whirlwind couple of hours but glad to be joining the Gold Coast Suns,” said Ainsworth on SEN radio.

“Most certainly (happy to move interstate), I’ve sort of got my head around that over the last couple of months.

“Yeah I’ve been best mates with Will Brodie since we were 15 years of age, through schoolboys and right through Vic Country footy, still can’t believe we’ve been drafted to an AFL football club together.

“I just can’t wait to get started, it’s exciting to be joining a forward line of that calibre.”

Watching those highlights, he looks kinda like a 179cm version of Lynchy. He can create space between him and his opponent on a lead, good one on one in the air, and as soon as he goes up in a pack you can tell he will come down with the ball, just like with Lynch. Plus he plays with a bit of mongrel and it looks like he is more than comfortable playing up the ground.

Love the look of him. Can't wait to see what he can do next year.

Watching those highlights, he looks kinda like a 179cm version of Lynchy. He can create space between him and his opponent on a lead, good one on one in the air, and as soon as he goes up in a pack you can tell he will come down with the ball, just like with Lynch. Plus he plays with a bit of mongrel and it looks like he is more than comfortable playing up the ground.

Love the look of him. Can't wait to see what he can do next year.
A short version of
Brett Deledio

A short version of
Brett Deledio
Trying to think of a player he reminds me of and a young Chris Johnson (Fitzroy/Brisbane) when he played forward springs to mind. A footballer first, so much skill/speed /power in a solid small frame with that burst of acceleration and leap with great hands. Johnno could also play pretty well in the backline and run through the middle when needed.

Trying to think of a player he reminds me of and a young Chris Johnson (Fitzroy/Brisbane) when he played forward springs to mind. A footballer first, so much skill/speed /power in a solid small frame with that burst of acceleration and leap with great hands. Johnno could also play pretty well in the backline and run through the middle when needed.
Bit of a Zorko/Elliott fusion. This guy is going to be seriously good.
I'm excited to see what he brings to the table

(Log in to remove this ad.)

22nd of november. 5min 35sec, on talking about his parents thoughts on possibility of moving interstate to play.

"the thought of moving into a sunny place other than melbourne springs to mind for them"
parents sound like they're not too displeased to have their son playing up on the gc :D

Geez he speaks well. Clayton has picked awesome characters the last few drafts.

Begs the question what he was doing in 2010/11 bringing in Campbell Brown, Nathan Bock, Nathan Krakour, Jared Brennan and Karmichael Hunt... sounds like he learnt about good character the hard way...

How's he going for you guys? I was a fan in his draft year but haven't followed him much since.
Good question.
2nd half of his first year he kicked 2's, 3 and 4 etc as a small forward and I thought he could be a 50-60 goal small forward
Has then mixed mainly forward with stints in the midfield.
Had a few injuries too along the way at times when you think he's ready to blossom.

Looks to have a different role this year and playing further up the field as a high half forward. I've been a little disappointed in his development this year compared to some others but that could be him learning a new role.
Last game of 2019 he was up against GWS midfield and had 28 possessions and looked at home.

Hoping he realises his potential at some stage but he's only 22.
Ripper bloke though around the club and fully invested into the club.

Good question.
2nd half of his first year he kicked 2's, 3 and 4 etc as a small forward and I thought he could be a 50-60 goal small forward
Has then mixed mainly forward with stints in the midfield.
Had a few injuries too along the way at times when you think he's ready to blossom.

Looks to have a different role this year and playing further up the field as a high half forward. I've been a little disappointed in his development this year compared to some others but that could be him learning a new role.
Last game of 2019 he was up against GWS midfield and had 28 possessions and looked at home.

Hoping he realises his potential at some stage but he's only 22.
Ripper bloke though around the club and fully invested into the club.
I've got to say, am a little disappointed in his play.
His best strengths just seem to be offset by his weaknesses.

Great leap but seems to have hard hands
and drops a lot of marks
Can find the ball playing midfield but not a great kick
Really busy in the forward 50, but not particularly poised when snapping for goal in general play

Look at his shot chart in general play - so many behinds or complete misses from right in front.

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 6.22.12 pm.png

His set-shots aren't much better. Kicking at 44% for his career. He is yet to have a set shot closer than 35m out in his 54 game career. Probably says more about our team than him necessarily..

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 6.24.32 pm.png

I'll add that he usually slices his kicks off the outside of his foot.
Telling that he has kicked only 8 of his 38 career goals from the right half of the ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Back