Toast Welcome to the SUNS, Daniel Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the SUNS, Daniel Rioli!

Rioli has flourished as a rebounding defender over the past few seasons and will provide the SUNS with run and carry and clean ball use off half back which has been sorely lacking.

Rioli is an accomplished player in the competition, most recently winning Richmond’s best and fairest this year alongside being a triple premiership player. Rioli is looking to add more premiership medals to the tally with joining the SUNS.

Rioli lands at the SUNS as part of a trade with Richmond which saw the SUNS give Pick 6 and 23 and receive Daniel Rioli and Picks 51, 61, 70 and 76 to assist with points to acquire Leo Lombard in the upcoming AFL Draft

Welcome again to the SUNS Daniel, we are super excited to see you be used to your strengths as part of Dimma’s game plan and explode off half back with your clean ball use.

ACA208A2-1C06-4726-B8DB-7B2C6713BACB.jpeg

Really excited to bring in a triple premiership player in his prime! He's played every game for the Tigers in the last three seasons and has been dominating as a halfback since 2022 when he was included in the All-Australian squad, which was backed up this year when he claimed the Richmond's BnF for the first time. Check out some of his highlights from that year:

It's going to be fun to watch Rioli and Noble bursting off the halfback and provide that much needed speed around the ground that we've been missing. There's always the option to throw Rioli forward (if needed) since he started his career as a small forward or even on the wing. I'm sure the NT boys will be happy to welcome Dan to the club and it's a nice touch to have famous footy names (who happen to be cousins) playing for us in Dan Rioli and Ben Long. The Darwin games next year will be special for Dan.

There was some ridiculous stat that came out a few years ago when it came to the Rioli family and winning premierships. It was something like every club that's recruited a Rioli has won a premiership within three years. It's probably not entirely true anymore, but it is accurate to say that a Rioli has featured in 7 of the last 12 premiership winning teams. So #FlagSuns could be on its way.

BvAAUMY.jpg

He's a very good get, and underrated in the league because he's only been a HBF for a couple of years, he'd probably have an AA by now if he'd played his whole career there.

Elite speed, elite endurance, durable, elite ball user, super performer on the track, and a guy that seems to lift when needed when the side needs a spark.

You'll get a lot of value out of him.

Do Weller and Powell move to the wings? Cornes said something about Powell in the midfield, that would leave Weller and Chlosey, both are handy
Gives us options, something we rarely have had. I'd play Clohesy and Powell on the wings personally. Both can work back and intercept and both can be dangerous attacking. We should play a hell of a lot faster and more direct next season.

Do Weller and Powell move to the wings? Cornes said something about Powell in the midfield, that would leave Weller and Chlosey, both are handy
Cornes is big on Powell. Talks about him all the time and always full of praise. He wants him to play midfield, and I heard him mention it several times.

I feel like it was hinted at a few years ago by our coaching team, to throw him in there, but never eventuated.

But I’d put him on a wing, or Weller, for sure. Probably Weller first, see if he is up to it, but Powell there just seems like a good idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to the SUNS, Daniel Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back