Toast Welcome to the SUNS - Jack Lukosius

Remove this Banner Ad

Lukosius still dreams of partnering with fellow top 10 draft pick Ben King in the forward line further into their careers but the 19-year-old predicts he will feature down back next season.

“I played across all three lines throughout the year but I settled down back in the last 10 rounds or so,” Lukosius said.

“I was really enjoying it back there. It would be good to make an impact down there again next year but I’m still open to playing wherever (coach Stuart Dew) wants me to.

“I have got some footy smarts and can read the ball in the air. If you can do that you can play back and watch the ball coming at you or you can play forward and make your own decisions.

“I have the tools to play at either end of the ground so it will come down to what is best for the club and me.”

I was confident he'd re-sign but it will fantastic to watch him in action (along with King) next season knowing they are 100% loving the club and committed. It was difficult watching them develop and hearing from the SA and Vic flogs that they are guaranteed to return. For the first time since the pre season 2015 I'm excited with what's happening and feel like we've got a real future.
One of my boys will be wearing his number once they are released. Does anyone know when they announce numbers? Is it jumper presentation day normally?

So how do you guys think he is looking down back?
If Luko becomes your intercept marker back there what does that mean for Collins? Is Collins capable of playing a 1 vs 1 lock down/key position defender role?
From memory, I thought Collins was brought in to do that intercept role but he wasn't known as a great key defender.

So how do you guys think he is looking down back?
If Luko becomes your intercept marker back there what does that mean for Collins? Is Collins capable of playing a 1 vs 1 lock down/key position defender role?
From memory, I thought Collins was brought in to do that intercept role but he wasn't known as a great key defender.

Collins and Lukosius will both play in the back six every game, barring injuries...and Thompson will play the 1v1 lock down role when he returns.

Think it's worth pointing out that Luko will play his 99th AFL game this weekend, which means he's on track to play game 100 on the Gold Coast in our R5 clash against Hawthorn. 23 years old and about to hit 100 AFL games - we're about to launch into the best years of Jack Lukosius and the exciting part for us is that he's committed to us until at least the end of 2026. How exciting and Jack deserves to be celebrated properly next week in his 100th AFL game.

Think it's worth pointing out that Luko will play his 99th AFL game this weekend, which means he's on track to play game 100 on the Gold Coast in our R5 clash against Hawthorn. 23 years old and about to hit 100 AFL games - we're about to launch into the best years of Jack Lukosius and the exciting part for us is that he's committed to us until at least the end of 2026. How exciting and Jack deserves to be celebrated properly next week in his 100th AFL game.
The little fact that he's playing his 99th game in SA and likely his 100th game on the GC tickles me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unsure whether to post this here, in the draft/trade thread, or the Venting thread, or the "Where are they now" thread. But the recent article about why Jack Lukosius left the Suns from the Australian caused a miniature crisis within me. Here is the article text:

Port Adelaide recruit Jack Lukosius says it took him a while to realise that leaving Gold Coast and returning to South Australia would be the best move for his career.
Lukosius wanted to stay at the Suns but queries – from both sides – about his fit in Damien Hardwick’s game plan led to open talks with the club about a potential exit.
People close to the 24-year-old swingman convinced him he needed to change teams to fulfil his potential.
“Especially this season, I was very committed to the Gold Coast and didn’t want to talk to any other clubs,” said Lukosius, who played 116 games for the Suns across six seasons.
“There’s nothing more I wanted than to play finals and succeed up there.
“I’m pretty flat I won’t be able to achieve that.
“I think the new system and game plan they implemented under Dimma (Hardwick) wasn’t quite suiting me.
“They were open to (a move) – we had a pretty open chat in my exit (interview) – they said the way we play here might not suit your strengths and the way you play.
“All the important people were all aligned that this was the best move.
“It took me a while to realise, but I’m very grateful.”
Lukosius joined the Power last week in a three-way trade with the Suns and Collingwood.
He described leaving Gold Coast, which drafted him as an 18-year-old from Woodville-West Torrens at pick 2 in 2018, as one of the most difficult decisions of his life.
Picking Port over the Crows – the club he supported growing – was a very close call.
One that came down to what he felt would help him unlock his best football.
He liked how settled the Power was, its blend of older and younger players, the direction the team was heading and what he felt he could add to its forward line.
Lukosius told long-time friend Connor Rozee he had chosen Port over Adelaide on Brownlow Medal night.
“He was stoked,” said Lukosius, a groomsman in Rozee’s wedding this weekend.
“He was pushing for me to go to Port but kind of knew I had to make my own call.
“I thought I would fit in at both (SA clubs) and it was an incredibly tough decision.
“Now it’s up to me to make the absolute most of this opportunity.”
The Suns did not finish higher than 12th on the ladder during Lukosius’s tenure.
He hoped to be part of something special at the Power, which reached a preliminary final this past season.
“I’m very excited for what’s to come,” he said.
“I couldn’t be happier.”

It seems like he truly loved the club, but the club fell out of love first. I suppose that is a testament to the close-knit culture the Suns have built.

This has been a tough trade period for me as a Jack Lukosius truther, particularly since he has fallen out of favour with the people on this board big time. 2024 was a bad year for him but I'm certain he'll be back to his gun form, kicking goals and reminding people he's the best field kick in the competition. Mitch Georgiades is going to love getting the silver service from him.

This probably combined with my burnout from university workout to form a potent poison. I realised this morning I may be broken as a sporting fan. I realised I'd rather be a kumbaya club than a ruthless and ambitious club because I don't expect success either way. I don't expect to make finals for 10 years, and I don't expect to actually win one until the same year I die. At the core, Hardwick's ambition for the club to succeed scares me.

Unsure whether to post this here, in the draft/trade thread, or the Venting thread, or the "Where are they now" thread. But the recent article about why Jack Lukosius left the Suns from the Australian caused a miniature crisis within me. Here is the article text:

Port Adelaide recruit Jack Lukosius says it took him a while to realise that leaving Gold Coast and returning to South Australia would be the best move for his career.
Lukosius wanted to stay at the Suns but queries – from both sides – about his fit in Damien Hardwick’s game plan led to open talks with the club about a potential exit.
People close to the 24-year-old swingman convinced him he needed to change teams to fulfil his potential.
“Especially this season, I was very committed to the Gold Coast and didn’t want to talk to any other clubs,” said Lukosius, who played 116 games for the Suns across six seasons.
“I think the new system and game plan they implemented under Dimma (Hardwick) wasn’t quite suiting me.
“They were open to (a move) – we had a pretty open chat in my exit (interview) – they said the way we play here might not suit your strengths and the way you play.
Lukosius joined the Power last week in a three-way trade with the Suns and Collingwood.
He described leaving Gold Coast, which drafted him as an 18-year-old from Woodville-West Torrens at pick 2 in 2018, as one of the most difficult decisions of his life.
Picking Port over the Crows – the club he supported growing – was a very close call.
He liked how settled the Power was, its blend of older and younger players, the direction the team was heading and what he felt he could add to its forward line.
Lukosius told long-time friend Connor Rozee he had chosen Port over Adelaide on Brownlow Medal night.
“He was pushing for me to go to Port but kind of knew I had to make my own call.
“I thought I would fit in at both (SA clubs) and it was an incredibly tough decision.
The Suns did not finish higher than 12th on the ladder during Lukosius’s tenure.
He hoped to be part of something special at the Power, which reached a preliminary final this past season.
“I couldn’t be happier.”

It seems like he truly loved the club, but the club fell out of love first. I suppose that is a testament to the close-knit culture the Suns have built.

This has been a tough trade period for me as a Jack Lukosius truther, particularly since he has fallen out of favour with the people on this board big time. 2024 was a bad year for him but I'm certain he'll be back to his gun form, kicking goals and reminding people he's the best field kick in the competition. Mitch Georgiades is going to love getting the silver service from him.

This probably combined with my burnout from university workout to form a potent poison. I realised this morning I may be broken as a sporting fan. I realised I'd rather be a kumbaya club than a ruthless and ambitious club because I don't expect success either way. I don't expect to make finals for 10 years, and I don't expect to actually win one until the same year I die. At the core, Hardwick's ambition for the club to succeed scares me.

Him and Rowell have been the draftees in the Suns history that I have coveted the most.

He has fantastic attributes and can blossom in the right system that looks to spread and lace him out in space. However he's not a tall target and he's not a midfielder and you shouldn't build a game plan around 1 player's attributes, especially when his uncontested style probably won't hold up in September.

“I couldn’t be happier.”

Ruthless clubs win flags. Singing kumbaya and playing happy teams gets you nothing.

“I couldn’t be happier.”

I look at this this way, for our whole existence the players have been show me the money or I’ll bounce, lukos comments highlight that the culture is changing both from the players that are keen to stay and the club which is becoming ruthless. I for one embrace the change. It sure beats watching Lynch and May mope around while taking up a big portion of the salary cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to the SUNS - Jack Lukosius

Remove this Banner Ad

Back