Toast Welcome to the Suns, Mac Andrew!

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL numbers are sorted by positions
Even that's getting more and more loose over the years.

Prior to 2004 Wide Receivers were only allowed to wear 80-89 but when teams started retiring numbers and roster sizes started to expand, the league eventually relented and started allowing them to wear between 10-19 and again in 2021 to allow 1-9 and 20-49.

Personally; When I played Yankee Handegg I always got assigned classic defenders numbers befitting my position - 66, 73, 93, 95 (Also 22 but it always felt weird)

Australian culture around numbers is interesting though because if you look at rugby for example, You got assigned a jersey based on your position in the team that week, So a lower number designated that you were in the starting line up that week and that was a source of pride.

Frankly I think the club hasn't been around long enough for any jersey to have any kind of "prestige" attached to it. I think the first big one will be when Dave eventually retires and you get the first player that isn't him to don what will be the famous 24 for us.

As a final note - I'm not sure where the "Mac 11" nickname came from as the infamous firearm is the "Mac-10" which is no help to him anyway considering that Chuck just signed an extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to the Suns, Mac Andrew!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back