Wells the bike rider

Remove this Banner Ad

Refulgent ROO

Debutant
Jan 24, 2004
Moonee Ponds
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Daniel Wells....he must be good at bike riding because he HATES traffic...
Im tiring of his one handed efforts.....As good as he will be...you dont like talent without courage. He needs to do something about this before its to late..any time it goes over his head its always one handed and fingertip stuff.
Im not against the kid id just prefer his efforts to be stronger than they are..
Im expecting a tirade of abuse here....but b4 u post just ask yourself if im correct....happy to accept any criticism that is constructive not personal.

Agreed, overrated.

His one-handed attempt to mark in the third term, which led to a goal to Davey, almost made me cry.

Actually, a bit like the bit in the Simpsons when Bart can see the exact moment Lisa breaks Ralph's heart. :(

He had to go up one handed because the short past from 25m away was 10 meters too high. You can reach higher going with one hand than you can with two.

Wells is not built to be an in and under player, he is not in great form and his kicking today was woeful but he has the skills, he lacks the support that would make him a better player today.

guys, havent seen any games in the last couple of years what with being over here and all. But the first season Wells played he was probably our best chaser, i still remember the tackle he laid in the Jason McCartney comeback game. The biggest wraps on him from all the coaches and stuff were that he is fantastic with doing all the 1% stuff.

Reading the threads here I'm getting a completely different picture. Whats going on?

Yep he could hardly reach that hospital pass.

I think Wells just has to learn the right times to put his body on he line. We sure don’t want him as an in and under, but other times he just has to go in. With more experience and confidence im sure this area will improved. Lets not forget he is still a kid.

His kicking has seemed to fall away a bit, are the other rubbing off on him? Our disposal is simply terrible, way too often. Really makes you wonder just how hard we work on skills.

Tas,
I appreciate the comments but im talking about quite a few contests not a singular one....i think if you watch the game again and focus on him.....you would be dissapointed. Ive noticed this trend over the season and what first attracted mr to him was his one touch football......now there is to much one handed stuff befoe securing the footy...simply doesnt like the presence of a lot of bodies and does his best to get it without applying himself totally and is content to run over it and wait for someone else....desperation levels have fallen dramatically for mine. I like what he brings, but dont like what l see.
Anyone agree with this?

There's an old fashioned expression that might be used to suggest where he's gone....but lets just say he's been very disappointing.

At the moment the 1 percenters are a distant memory - he is playing very lazy football and does not deserve his spot in the starting 18. Apart from a loose man 30 posession game last week, you'd be forgiven for wondering what all the hype has been about this kid.

Its one thing to be down on form but to at least work hard like some of the other fringe / down on form players such as say Harding, Petrie, Jones, but Wells is just not bothering to chase or run and it is just so disappointing. In fact at times today he was a liability.

He is certainly a problem for the selectors as the messages he is sending are not positive for the rest of the side.

He is not overrated he oozes class just hes being a lazy piece of dung this year I dont understand he has the potential to be one of the best players in this league but refuses to do his part

Wells

The question was raised a week or 2 as to whether Daniel Wells was suffering Osteitis Pubis. Well, maybe he is - if it affects your shoulders??? I counted 4-5 occasions when Wells went for marks with just one arm raised - terrible stuff. And there were several other occasions where he was simply too flimsy in the contest. We all know his kicking has deteriorated this season (today's game was no exception) but now this `flimsyness' has entered his game. Has Shane Clayton been appointed as Wellsy's physical conditioning coach? What is wrong with Wellsy? I know he had a great game last week against Brisbane but he was paid no respect by the Lions.

Refulgent ROO said:
Tas,
I appreciate the comments but im talking about quite a few contests not a singular one....i think if you watch the game again and focus on him.....you would be dissapointed. Ive noticed this trend over the season and what first attracted mr to him was his one touch football......now there is to much one handed stuff befoe securing the footy...simply doesnt like the presence of a lot of bodies and does his best to get it without applying himself totally and is content to run over it and wait for someone else....desperation levels have fallen dramatically for mine. I like what he brings, but dont like what l see.
Anyone agree with this?

His 1%ers are way off but Laidley is using him to create some spark in terms of finishing skills or to run loose and make some play. If you are told to do that then doing the tackling, the smothering and the hard stuff is going to put you in the wrong place.

He is down on confidence and what is a little disappointing is how often he goes to ground when he is not playing well. He has amazing balance and grace and am sure when his mind is on the job could tapdance on a greased pole.

The main problem is the whole team puts too much pressure on him. If the other 21 blokes are pulling their weight and things are even then he will provide that spark we need. At the moment we have 10 players playing acceptable football and 5 or 6 that are real passengers that spend a lot of time on the ground, he is surrounded by guys that can't kick, can't handpass and can only play on one side of their body. We have far too many athletes trained to be football players rather than have natural footballers.

Wells is a natural footballer and he will come good, he is not in the best form but has a lot of weight on his shoulders to do the amazing to make this club competitive. The club has put too much pressure on the young players and they are not ready.

The best way to get the best out of Wells is to get rid of the dead wood around him that puts too much pressure on him to try and do too much. He will have a greater opportunity to just play his natural game.

The question was raised a week or 2 as to whether Daniel Wells was suffering Osteitis Pubis. Well, maybe he is - if it affects your shoulders??? I counted 4-5 occasions when Wells went for marks with just one arm raised - terrible stuff. And there were several other occasions where he was simply too flimsy in the contest. We all know his kicking has deteriorated this season (today's game was no exception) but now this `flimsyness' has entered his game. Has Shane Clayton been appointed as Wellsy's physical conditioning coach? What is wrong with Wellsy? I know he had a great game last week against Brisbane but he was paid no respect by the Lions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Wells

NeoBlaze said:
Shame on Laidley on making him unaccountable and telling him to be selfish Idiot Dish

Yes, all the coach's fault.

When he plays well though, it's about how great Wellsy is (which he is). When he plays badly, it's Dean's fault for teaching him bad habits.

Gee, I don't want to get in on this thread but he has only played 50 odd games and is built like a match still.

I think it is his role to be the "receiver." It is just such an ugly word but I have said in a thread somewhere else that Craig Bradley was a receiver and it served him well for 350 games or so. Not every player needs to be diving on the bottom of packs and getting mauled. It is not much use him doing the grunt work if it is going to be farmed out to Lance. I think we would all agree that it is better for Lance, Harro or Spud to be getting the ball out to Wells then Wells getting the ball out to any of those three.

However, if he is shirking the issue when the ball is to be won then that is a different story. If you are going to cop one that you need to take it and not squib it.

Tas....
He made a name for himself by doing the 1%ers....you dont have to be good to do 1%ers but thats when you have to try.....today not one tackle from the quickest guy in the club...tells you something there in fact 13 in 11 games this year (2004 49 from 22 games 2003 39 from 18 games).
I will concede, as you say that if everyone is pulling there weight he will be better but so would anyone. Your giving him a bit of licence to not do the 1%ers because you believe its a coaching directive for him to be the play maker....Agreed id like him running forward with the footy looking for a leading forward more than all except Shagger. but If you dont want the ball dont stand in the middle of the ground and make a ******** weak effort stand on the wing and tyr and beat your man one on one...the tough players generally call for the footy in the middle and make an effort to gt it.
I dont know how so many people here know what the coach expects from certain players...but l know this.
Wells got dragged against Geelong for not sprinting into the centre after the first two bounces and if you watch todays game count how many times he was beaten into the fray by McDonald...Last week he got a lot of possesions against Brisbane...but having played footy l can assure you he had been challenged by laidley big time......The reason l know if you watch it again when Quarter time came the commentators were talking up his start the camera was on him....but it was the way the players all came across when he was adjusting his boot....and rubbed his head etc that told me ....he has done what was asked or challenged from him...
I wouldnt think today he would be getting praise for a few of his efforts...
Im not suggesting he isnt going to be worth his weight in black gold but lm not liking all that l see...in fact i find this hard to type but reality is on todays efforts only.... Harding was stronger without the footy than Wells not a good barometer to be compared to.

I sort of agree with Nuffy here (blech). I don't know why Laidley didn't use Wells in the same role that he did last week where he was clearly BOG and back to his damaging best. It was obvious pretty early on that it was not working out for him in the middle, so he should have been thrown down back. Maybe on Robertson? May not have killed us if that had happened.

Wellsy deserves an absoluten rocket for his attempts at marking today. No matter how you look at it, he jibbed it twice today when the ball was hovering over his head. That last one in the third quarter spelt the end for us. Wouldn't matter how many games you've played, or how well you are built, you simply have to keep your head up in those situations. Amazing how supporters can the blokes they want to, and come up with all sorts of excuses for their faves.

NeoBlaze I seriously hope you are tongue in cheek there.

I am not making excuses for him, just saying the roles that Laidley plays him he is not looking for the hard contests but seems to want him out wide receiving. If you are doing the 1%ers you are 99% of the time in the wrong position to receive.

I agree with you, it is much better to make him play a natural game with the hard work and at times to show that flair but not to rely on it.

He has huge expecations on his shoulders because we have far too many passengers. Nonetheless, he has been playing poorly the last couple of month but he is not in the boat by himself.

Of all the underperforming players he is one that I am confident will come good, not 100% sure about the others.

I am with Refulgent Roo.

That third quarter kick a hospital pass?!! You have to be kidding! It was a ********** weak effort. You don't have to be an in and under player to keep your eye on the pill.

And his one handed efforts when the ball was on the ground were disappointing to say the least.

I'll also say he has 'stumbled' a couple of times this year when he has been a position to fill the hole in the backline. Jesse Smith hasn't done that once this year and he's not exactly Anthony Koutoufides.

He is a fantastic player and all, but there are a few facets of his game that need addressing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wells the bike rider

Remove this Banner Ad

Back