We're a mess; REFRESH THE TEAM!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

McGrath in particular and Warne were ready to retire. Sure they were going OK but Mcgrath was showing signs of age catching up and Warne averaged about 30 that series. Katich still has alot to offer.
If he hits a decline by all means move him on, but he's shown no signs of this so far.

How could you say my comments are stupid when you would prefer Hauritz, Harris, Geeves and Magofin? The Australian TEST XI would be considered the new version of Dad's Army. Why don't you have a look at the average age of the Indian, ENgland and South African sides and compare the average age to the Australian side?

Simon Katich has to make way for Phil Hughes whilst he is on top of his game. I know I am insane but lets look at the pass retirements of Matthew Hayden and Mark Taylor. Matthew Hayden retired from test cricket whilst his form was on the downer and Mark Taylor retired from test cricket when he knew he was in good batting form, and Taylor saw the light. He knew it would be a good time to bow out from test cricket whilst he scored some runs in his previous test innings and he knew he would not retire from test cricket with a list of bad scores in his last innings.

An example is Kim Hughes. Kim Hughes left test cricket with a pair beside his name and people would remember him as the captain who resigned in tears!!

Greg Chappell retired from test cricket after he scored 182 against Pakistan at the SCG in January 1984.

SK Warne retired from test cricket with respect and class. He did not get belted by the Poms during the 2006-07 Ashes series. The same applied to Glen McGrath.

In conclusion, the team has to be refreshed and Greg Chappell would look at Stephen Smith, Aaron Finch (he scored an excellent 80 in the One Day Game against the WA Warriors), Usman K, Mitchell Marsh, Josh Hazlewood, James Pattinson, Phil Hughes, Michael Hill and Moses Henriques.

I think half of you bloggers cannot remember the days when Australian cricket was at its lowest ebb. The South African rebel tours had hurt Australian cricket and the Australian Selectors (CHappell, Sawle, McCosker, Higgs, John Benaud and Bobbie Simpson) had to rebuild the Australian Test XI from scratch. They knew it was going to be a painful process, but Australia won the World Cup in 1987 with a young squad; won back the Ashes in 1989; suffered a slight hurdle in 1991 and the side was refreshed in 1992 to allow us to win the Sir Frank Worrell trophy in 1995.

Ricky, Michael Clarke and SHane Watson can form the nucleus of your batting lineup and they can be surrounded with Phil Hughes, Stephen Smith and Usman Khawaja or Aaron Finch.

I am going to go back to 1993. Do you remember the debate of DM Jones being dropped from the Australian test side in 1992? Do you recall the selectors made the tough call in retiring Geoff Marsh to Shield cricket?

Mark Taylor, Allan Border, Steve Waugh, David Boon and Mark Waugh formed the nucleus of our batting lineup. The selectors picked Michael Slater after 1 season of Shield cricket. That decision was a masterstroke!!

Tough decisions on the future of Australian cricket have to be made. Middle age shield players who have been floating in the shield system (Ferguson, Klinger and David Hussey) have to be by passed for younger players who have the energy and attacking attutude to play attacking positive cricket. If you go back to the 1992-93 season, the Australian selectors by passed Jamie Siddons when he had the runs on the board to replace Dean Jones for the West Indian test series in Australia. They picked a raw Damien Martyn and tried a raw Justin Langer for the West Indian test series and 1993 New Zealand test series in New Zealand.

If tough decisions are not made in the next 3 to 6 months, we will definitely lose the Ashes and major test series to place us in huge trouble. We can blame Ricky for everything, but the selectors have not given him a young side with the energy to learn how to play test cricket.

The biggest disadvantage of picking seasoned first class performers like Katich and North is they develop bad habits. A young player like Steve Smith has just finished his stint at the Academy under GS Chappell and he is willing to learn good habits. He has not picked any bad habits and he has no MENTAL SCARES. Katich and NOrth have the mental scars of previous series losses and if we want to have another test match winning era, a TEST XI cannot carry players who have the mental scars.

The England TEST XI from 1987 to 2001 had heaps of mental scars. The English selectors kept on picking them and surrounded them with young players like Hussein and Atherton. Because of this, they kept on losing the Ashes series. In hindsight, ENglish cricket would have been better off in dropping Gooch, Gatting, Robin Smith, Graeme Hick and Alec Stewart in favour of young batsmen of that time.

THE GOVERNOR

Apart from KAtich Governor, well said :thumbsu:

Have to start making some tough decisions, pity it is similar to a local club.. A mates club where only the 'in' players are selected in the firsts no matter what the form is.

That IS insane. Katich is in some of the best form of his life. You don't just drop a guy averaging 57 in the last 12 months for the sake of renewal.

North and Hussey have averages in the 20s and 30s in same period. If you really want Hughes opening, there is no reason why you can't move Katich or Watson down the order.

Why would you move Shane Watson down the order when his best period as a batsman has occurred since he has become an opening batsman? He is a much better player when he opens the batting for NSW or Australia. And, you have to congratulate Shane Warne and Darren Berry for making Shane Watson as an opener during his first stint with the Royals in 2008.

If you go back to the early 1990s, Dean Jones was dropped from the Australian test side when his average was in the 50s and his average over a 12 month period was around the 30s to 40s.

Tough decisions have to be made and I would be prepared to sack Ponting as captain and no 3 batsman if we do not win the Ashes test series. Ricky Thomas Ponting has become a huge joke over the past 2 years. Ever since he got his hair transplant from Advanced Hair, his form and captaincy has gone backwards!!

Ricky Thomas Ponting would go down as one of the worse tactical captains of Australia. I think we can compare him to KJ Hughes!!

Why would you move Shane Watson down the order when his best period as a batsman has occurred since he has become an opening batsman?
Both him and Katich have shown the ability to perform in the upper middle order. Who knows - Watson may even perform better lower down, it's always been his favoured position in the past.

Anyway, you might shave a couple of runs off their average by moving them down, but if it allows you to substitute someone like Hughes for North then overall you have a better team.

If you go back to the early 1990s, Dean Jones was dropped from the Australian test side when his average was in the 50s and his average over a 12 month period was around the 30s to 40s.
That's almost the complete opposite of Katich's situation. His average in the last 12 months is substantially higher than his career average (which is itself extremely good).

Tough decisions have to be made and I would be prepared to sack Ponting as captain and no 3 batsman if we do not win the Ashes test series.
Ponting still has an average of comfortably over 40 at number 3 in the last couple of years. He's not the player he used to be but that's fairly competent as far as world standards go. Add in his wealth of experience and the fact that nobody is really screaming out for his place and I see it hard to justify dropping him.

There's a difference between renewal and completely gutting the team. If you're ditching Ponting and Katich I presume you're also ditching North and Hussey, possibly also Haddin. How long are Hauritz and Bollinger going to be around?

That leaves you looking at a team with experience comparable to Border's side of the mid-80s. I don't know about you but I don't think Clarke has his sort of fortitude when it comes to moulding a side. You'd be losing the legacy of the last couple of decades, and IMO it would take a lot longer than 5 years to turn it around this time.

Any serious revamp of the team with a view to 10 year players would absolutely HAVE to include Mitch Marsh.
Going to be a gun and will play test cricket so why not get him in now?

Do NOT move Watson from the opening position. He is THE player in world cricket at the moment, let him come out and put pressure on the bowlers straight away, he always builds great platforms for us- don't change anything there.

I'm not sure how long it's going to take people to realise that Hussey cannot play anymore. His only two supposedly good innings in the last few years have been the century against Pakistan which was rigged and the century against England after he ran Ponting out and the game was gone. His average would be about 20 without those.

I agree with the Governor to an extent, but we don't need to make wholesale changes. The simple way is the best. I think we should go-

Out: Hussey and North

In: Hughes and Khawaja

Making the team look like:

Hughes
Katich
Watson
Clarke
Ponting
Khawaja
Paine/ Haddin

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Khawaja wouldn't be rushed into the team to be given an opportunity to play cricket with Ponting and Katich. North adds nothing, and is old!

I think Watson is best suited to opening or three, and the idea of Ponting having one or two more series down the order appeals. I'm sure England wouldn't appreciate the thought of Ponting at 5. Ponting could go for a fair bit longer. Even though he's averaging 40 in tests, should we replace him with someone struggling to average 40 in state cricket?

Katich should not be dropped. He is consistent and deserves to play as long as form allows. He is also someone who would be a great captain (or back up for Clarke initially).

I agree with the Governor to an extent, but we don't need to make wholesale changes. The simple way is the best. I think we should go-

Out: Hussey and North

In: Hughes and Khawaja

Making the team look like:

Hughes
Katich
Watson
Clarke
Ponting
Khawaja
Paine/ Haddin

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Khawaja wouldn't be rushed into the team to be given an opportunity to play cricket with Ponting and Katich. North adds nothing, and is old!

I think Watson is best suited to opening or three, and the idea of Ponting having one or two more series down the order appeals. I'm sure England wouldn't appreciate the thought of Ponting at 5. Ponting could go for a fair bit longer. Even though he's averaging 40 in tests, should we replace him with someone struggling to average 40 in state cricket?

Katich should not be dropped. He is consistent and deserves to play as long as form allows. He is also someone who would be a great captain (or back up for Clarke initially).

Yeah I reckon Hughes in at No. 3 and Ponting down to 4 is a good idea. I think 5 is a bit too low he is still our second best batsman.

DId anyone hear the Governor's passionate expression of opinion on SEN with Darren Berry and Daniel Harford on Friday afternoon?

As a matter of coincidence, Darren Berry writes an excellent article that basically calls for tough decisions to be made. He basically brought up the points I made to him on Friday afternoon. I would retire Simon Katich. He has done a magnificent job in rebuilding his test career and I will give him credit for it. But, it would be better for him to retire from test cricket after the Ashes series whilst he is on top of his game to allow him to finish his career for NSW.

Greg Chappell is the man to make the tough decisions. Even though people have ridiculed Greg Chappell for making the tough decisions whilst he was India's coach, the legacy he left has allowed India to be the number 1 test match nation. Youngsters like MS DOhni, Sharma and Gambir were given a go and he gave the Indian selection panel a sense of direction. And, with India being coached by Gary Kirsten, he has continued on with the legacy. Chappell will look at Steve Smith, Usman K, Mitchell Marsh, Aaron Finch, Josh Hazelwood, James Pattinson and a host of young players who have attended the AIS Academy in the pass 3 years.

The only way to go forward as a test match nation to reclaim the number 1 test match ranking is to bring youth into the batting lineup. Hussey, Katich and North have to be dropped for Hughes, Usman K and Aaron Finch.

And, the biggest benefit for bring young players at the age of 22 to 24 is the selectors can drop them when they suffer a drop in form for a couple of test matches and when they gather some runs in Shield cricket, they will be reinstated into the test XI and they will be better players. Ricky Ponting and David Boon are classic case studies. Ricky Ponting had a good 12 months from 1995 to 1996 in the test arena. He scored an 88 against the West Indies in Brisbane and he was dropped for the Boxing Day test match. The selectors gave him the advice to score some runs and figure his mental approach to building an innings. HE was reinstated in the test side in 1997 and scored some runs for Australia. He was dropped from the test side for the England Ashes series in 1998 after a couple of failures during the 1st 3 test matches. After he was dropped from the test side, he scored some runs for Australia in the one day arena and for Tasmania and he won back his spot for Australia in Sri Lanka in 1999. From that day on, he never looked back. David Boon suffered a run of outs in 1986 and was dropped from the test side. He worked out his game from January 1987 to April 1987 and he scored some runs for Tassie. The selectors picked him for the World Cup and he never looked back.

As I have blogged before, there is a huge upside in picking Steve Smith, Aaron Finch, Phil Hughes and Usman K for this Ashes test series. They are young and they have no baggage from previous test losses. They want to score runs and the English bowlers have not seen them at all. THey will want to take the game up to the English bowlers and that is the positive part of picking young players.

Whereas, as Ian Chappell pointed out in today's Herald Sun, picking mature players like Marcus North, Michael Klinger, George Bailey and Callum Ferguson is fraught with danger. You cannot drop them from the test side after a couple of failures. Once they are dropped, they are finished. And, with mature first class players, their reflexes are not as fast and sharp as a 21 year old.

In reference to Shane Watson, I would keep him as the opening batsman for Australia. We have found an opener who performs the role of Matty Hayden. Watson is prepared to attack the bowling from the 1st ball being bowled and he is a better player when he comes in at 0-0 than at 2-20 or 2 for 200. He is a better batsman after he faces the new ball.

Darren Berry calls for the selectors to retire Katich after the Ashes series. I basically call for Katich to retire after the Indian test series.

In conclusion, you can say that Marcus North is Graeme Wood's younger brother, and North is a distant cousin of Dean Jones. Wood and Jones scored runs for Australia when their place is on the line. After a decent score, they did not score runs for their country for a couple of test matches!!

I just hope we lost to India. The axe will be sharpened and we need to refresh the batting lineup with young players who have no fear!!

And, the sight of seeing Andrew Hilditch in the pavillon reminds me of him playing one too many hook shots during his test career. Andrew Hilditch's stint as Chairman of Selectors reminds me of his second stint as a test opener for Australia. Hilditch has shown faith in one of three players on too many occasions.

THE GOVERNOR

Gosh you talk a lot of crap. Callum Ferguson is a 'mature player'? He's 25, FFS. I'm not even going to bother to list how many quality batsmen have started in their mid 20s or later and had careers of up to a decade. And talking about Katich retiring when he's the form batsman in the side is just madness. Name one other batsman in history who's been dropped or pressured into retirement when he's averaged 57 in his last 10 Tests.

I guess people like you remind us that no matter how bad our selectors are, they could be worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gosh you talk a lot of crap. Callum Ferguson is a 'mature player'? He's 25, FFS. I'm not even going to bother to list how many quality batsmen have started in their mid 20s or later and had careers of up to a decade. And talking about Katich retiring when he's the form batsman in the side is just madness. Name one other batsman in history who's been dropped or pressured into retirement when he's averaged 57 in his last 10 Tests.

I guess people like you remind us that no matter how bad our selectors are, they could be worse.

Mark Taylor and David Boon.

How about Dean Jones?

Gee, most of you have no idea!!

Mark Taylor and David Boon.

How about Dean Jones?

Gee, most of you have no idea!!
Stop lying. None of those three averaged anywhere near 57 in their last 10 Tests. Boonie's average was in the 20s!

Mark Taylor is the only one who comes within spitting distance, but in 1999 he was leaving behind one of the best batting orders ever assembled in Test cricket. Bit of a difference from the current situation, where Katich is one of the only guys holding us together.

1. Katich
2. Hughes
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Watson
6. Khawaja
7. Paine
8. Hauritz
9. Johnson
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Bollinger

With George and Ferguson around the mark.

How the f**k can people keep selecting Hauritz?!?! This guy CANNOT play. Can't bowl, can't bat, can't field.

How can you say that Hauritz is more likely to take wickets or preserve runs that Siddle or any of our other fast bowlers.

We have some world class fast bowlers. We have no spinners. Therefore play our fast bowlers!

M. Johnson would also be better in a side with 3 other fast bowlers rather than just 2. Can't understand why you would play Watson at 5 either he is our best or second best batsman.

My team for the Ashes;

Watson
Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Khawaja
Smith
Haddin/Paine
Johnson
Hilf
Bollinger

That should be our team, no question in my mind.

Smith is your spinner, but Katich and Clarke are both required to bowl a bit as well.

Clarke should be at #4, but I don't know if he can hack it there.

Any issues with that?

How the f**k can people keep selecting Hauritz?!?! This guy CANNOT play. Can't bowl, can't bat, can't field.

How can you say that Hauritz is more likely to take wickets or preserve runs that Siddle or any of our other fast bowlers.

We have some world class fast bowlers. We have no spinners. Therefore play our fast bowlers!

M. Johnson would also be better in a side with 3 other fast bowlers rather than just 2. Can't understand why you would play Watson at 5 either he is our best or second best batsman.

He bowled ok last series in Australia, Who else would bowl spin? Smith is not up to it!

My team for the Ashes;

Watson
Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Khawaja
Smith
Haddin/Paine
Johnson
Hilf
Bollinger

Smith is your spinner, but Katich and Clarke are both required to bowl a bit as well.

Any issues with that?

Smith just aint good enough. He doen't move the ball a great deal and still bowls one or two bad balls an over.

My team for the Ashes;

Watson
Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Khawaja
Smith
Haddin/Paine
Johnson
Hilf
Bollinger

Clarke should be at #4, but I don't know if he can hack it there.

Any issues with that?

No arguments from me, except i'd move Watson to #3 permanantly, and have Clarke at 4 and Ponting at 5. Only change is i'd probably keep Hauritz for the Ashes, he bowled well in Australia last summer.

Hughes
Katich
Watson
Clarke
Ponting (c)
Khawaja
Paine/Haddin (much the same, so prob go with the younger)
Hauritz
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

I'll get hammered for this, but a guy that shouldn't be forgotten in the mix is Andrew McDonald from Victoria. Good bowler who can tie down an end and take a few wickets, and also capable of making scores with the bat.

It's tough with hauritz, i mean he hasn't bowled great in india but he did about what i expected and better than i think smith would have done.

Does anybody really think we have a spinner in the country that wouldn't get the heck kicked out of them in india?

The lack of genuine quality alternatives and his last summer performances are probably enough to earn hauritz an ashes start but he has to bowl well early or he's on the chopping block, issue then becomes will the bloke replacing him do any better?

Our spin bowling stocks really are depressing.

This thread has been a bit hijacked by teh Katich debate.

The real failure of selection has been Hussey and North

In his first 20 tests - Hussey averaged 84.8. In his last 34 tests he has averaged 27.6. He should have been dropped at least 18 months ago.

North - this test not withstanding - was brought into test cricket as an experienced player with a relatively average first class record. Unsuprisingly, he has proven to be an average test player. Why they ever picked him is a mystery why they have persisted with him is just stupidity.

By dropping Hughes instead of Hussey to make way for Watson, the selectors have now created the situation where Hughes has been frozen out of the team.

This is the worst selection panel in the history of selection panels. These are the clowns who brought a disinterested, out of form and unfit Symonds back into the team and effectively lost us the last home series against SA.

I don't hold much hope for Greg Chapell. Off-field, I'm not really sure what G. Chappell has ever achieved in test cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

We're a mess; REFRESH THE TEAM!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back