Were we competitive today?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Dry Rot
Thank you for your succinct report. ;)

Who played well? Badly?

Some posts on a thread on the main board seemed to suggest that Eagleton did well again.

Here's the game from my view:

For three quarters we were really competitive, and had Ports measure quite well. We were hard at it and kept play moving very smartly. Darcy was dropping back to help Crusher cover Tredders, with a little effect. Tredders still kicked a few, but playing with the big body in the hole was a very smart move and short circuited a few of Ports moves forward.

Bandy was horrible in the ruck and around the ground. It may have been some sort of plan, but when he was on Primus, and Port had the ball, Bandy would try and get to the contest, often leaving Primus 20 meters in the clear. Wasn't particularly smart football imo.

Dimattina had a good solid game in the middle and got a bit of the ball and provided a good body in the middle and both him and Hahn rotated very well.

Eagleton was close to BOG imo. Was everywhere. His current form is why we wanted him so much, and if he can continue to play like this, will be a key in the midfield.

Nathan Brown. Kicked 1 goal 2 i think. When he's having a day like he did today, he needs to be rotated through the midfield more.

K Mac, Power & Garlick all spent most of the game on the bench. I would have thought throwing K Mac (who did get cleaned up at one stage) into the forward line would have been a good idea, but alas, it wasn't too be. Had one shot on goal which was a horrible kick, but that's to be expected when you haven't been given chances

West was his irrapressable self. Provided most of the drive out of the middle with Eagleton. Had a flying shot for goal in the last that didn't have the legs from about 50 out. Add Johnno to this ground and you see where we got a lot of our ball from.

Robbins played a good game, but would have liked to have seen him pick off that little sniper bastard.

Smurf started in the middle (or on the wing) and was playing some nice football before being moved down back in the third (maybe even the second) and didn't really have much of an influence.

Hargrave was lead to the ball far to often today, and seemed to want to play off his man too many times. Strange player - some weeks looks like he's got it all together, some weeks looks very out of sorts.

Smith was very quiet and was flattened by Monty at one stage, but in a bizzar twist, what should have been a free kick and perhaps a report, ended up being a report further up the ground against us, although i can recall who it was that got reported.

Boyd was good without being brilliant, and would probably be best served to stay in the side for the rest of the year.

Like i said, we were good, but not quite good enough.

We were certainly competitive Dry Rot but at the same time the style of game we played isn't going to send us soaring back up the ladder.Good to get some respect back never the less!Overall we had our chances and were found wanting for a bit for composure IMO.We made some crucial errors at vital stages and were always pushing *##* up hill with a couple of mismatches we had down back.Quick player by player

Murphy-Had 18 touches and did some nice things but he is still going for passes that are just very low percentage.He made 2 or 3 very bad clangers.

Garlick-Spent alot of time on the bench and when he came on he wasted a few great opportunities around goals.Not a game for the memory bank.

Smith-Bit quieter today than he has been lately but was brave as usual.

Jonno-29 touches and carried the ball alot.Thought he had the fumbles early but improved through out the day.One of our best as usual.

West-36 touches and a brillioant captains game.Cant ask for much more.

Hahn-Not as influential as he has been in previous weeks but still had a dip.I actually thought that when he was a bit quiet when he was on the ball that he could have been used else where.Rohde seems reluctant to swing guys around when things arn't working.Alot different to Wallace in that way.

Gilbee-Was fantastic when he came on IMO.Made one or two mistakes but some of his field kicking set up goals.He is going to be a great winger or half back player for a long time.

Eagleton-Played absolutely out of his skin.30 touches and 4 goals aswell as some quality use of the ball.Terry Wallace commented that he had never seen him work so hard in a game.Absolutely ran himself ragged and put his head over the ball which was pleasing.Can he keep it going?Should add that he got burnt by his team mates a couple of times when he was in a great position.They still seem to lack confidence in him.

Bandy-I thought he was reasonable.Thought we could have done with a bit more from him.It was a shame we had to use him as our round the ground ruckmen as he would have been a handful up forward with the game plan we were using.

Guido-Had a bit of a downer.Chimed in with a couple of second half goals.Need more from him!

Darcy-Was pretty good in his role.Was asked to sit in the hole and help out the defenders and played it well for the most part.

Power-Barely on the ground.

Croft-Gave us a target up forward and probably had 5 or 6 shots on goal.I think he had 2 fall short and one on the full.Rohde would have been tempted to switch him down back at some stages but we really needed him down forward.

Brown-Had to work his arse off because he was out numbered on most occasions.I thought that he should have been on the ball at times because he was always going to struggle against port because they are so good at zoning off there men and cutting off the short passes.

Harrison-Did some nice things across the half forward line and was a good contributor but he was shown up horribly for a couple of his limitations at times.Absolutely refuses to kick on his opposite side and his pace is a liability.Has better hands than I gave him credit for.

Dimma-Typical dimma game he was hard at it especially early and tried his guts out.

Mcguiness-Didn't get much of a chance once again.When he did get on he did well to get the ball but made some mistakes.Needs time on the ground.

Robbins-In my best players for us.Done all the hard things and had 20 touches.Decision making is a worry at times.

Hargrave-Was out sized by Chad Cornes but played it pretty smartly.Just pushed him wide and made him work for his kicks.Hargrave had 17 touches and Cornes had only 15 but 13 of them were marks.Got a couple of soft marks where shaggy just lost a bit of body contact with him.

Kretiuk-Massacred by Tredrea in what was a very unfair battle for him.Was moved off him late but the damage had been done.Probably should never have been on him but we were strecthed for talls all over the ground.

Harris-Touched up the resting ruckmen (usually Primus) and went on to Tredrea late in the game.Did some fantastic things like his tackle on Cornes and a couple of his clearing punches.Used his leap well and just basically did his job.Probably could have been shifted to Tredrea earlier given that Tredrea was already dominating and we had nothing to lose.

Boyd-Very good in the clinches and used the ball well in general.A couple of times he was shown up for a bit of polish but he was having a dead set crack.Will need to improve a couple of things if he is to become a long term option.

My turn!

Murphy- A bit frustrating to watch. Had an ok game but stuffed a few things up.

Garlick- More frustrating to watch. Wasn't very hard at it.

Smith- Pretty hard at it, as usual, but wasn't a stand out.

Johnno- Looked pretty pumped. Tried very hard all day, did alot of running.

West- Also really hard at it and one of our best. Was a bit stupid going for a 60 metre goal in the later parts of the game.

Hahn- hhmmm. Ok, not great. But even though he wasn't a stand out he worked fairly hard at it. Don't think it was through lack of trying.

Gilbee- Had a few bursts. Didn't muck many things up. I think he should be given more of a chance on the ground.

Eagleton- Playing for his career, and if it was to be decided on today's game he should be signed for next year. Very hard at it, didnt stop working all day and I really hope he keeps it up. If all the other players were going in as hard as him we might have won.

Bandy- I didn't have many reasons to hate him today. He was reliable. Didn't fumble as often as usual.

Guido- Didn't really get the ball much but when he did he used it well.

Darcy- He's been better, but he's starting to find a bit of form.

Power- mmm. ??

Croft- Showed that loser behind me! Kicked a few goals, did pretty well.

Brown- Played very smart today. Was heavily tagged for alot of the game, managed to set up a few other goals though.

Harrison- Reliable. Shots on goal were shyt though.

Dimma- very hard at it and kicked suprisingly fast and direct. (and the biggest shock...accurately!)

McGuinness- Must have been nervous or something. His kicking was shocking.

Robbins- really hard at it and fearless. Not much of a change from most games. He played really well.

Hargrave- Shorter than most of his opponents and couldn't really keep up. Did the occaisional good thing. Tried harder than the last few weeks.

Kretuik- Tredrea was way too good for him.

Harris- can't say I thought he stood out.

Boyd- Can't wait till he plays more regularly. Really good at scooping the ball off the ground. Very aggressive at the ball. Tried really hard.

Robbo was good when he got the ball, but he should have been tighter on Pickett.

We lost simply because of errors in the last quarter. Smurf and Harris gifted them goals. Robbo gave away a stupid down the field free kick. Garlick dropped an easy mark. We gave them the game in the last quarter. However we played well for most of the game and were far more accountable and hard then of late

Are there any skills coaches down at the Whitten Oval? The number of skill errors, particularly in the last quarter was embarrassing.

I was very impressed with Boyd, he has great 2nd and 3rd efforts and never stops chasing. Wont be suprised if he is on the senior list next year, a very promising player who made the most of his ground time. Kicked a nice goal to.

Well done boydy.

Much better effort this week but I am still bitterly dissapointed that we basicly handed the game over to them in the last qtr (and probably late in the 3rd). However when you look back over our last month and a bit you can see a bit of a cycle where we have a shocker and slowly build momentum until a game like the WCE one. You get the feeling the cycle may be starting again, a win in the next two weeks would keep that going.

Here are a few thoughts,
Good:
Boyd and Eagleton's work ethic was sensational, both ran all day and continually pushed to the contest or chased the opposition. Eagleton's 1%'s were a highlight and I was really impressed with Boyd's marking and shepherding - he has a good habit of pushing to support the ball carrier.

Harris and Robbo's efforts down back were serviceable, both attacked the footy well. Robbo perhaps was a little loose on Pickett at times but IMO he had the better of him for the most part, a few lucky bounces and opportunist type goals would suggest not though.

Physical aggression and assertion over the football was much improved, dropped off as the game went on but I think the early effort justified most fans thoughtsof 'just because there are light frames out there doesn't mean that they can't do the hard things'

Gilbee had a horrible start to his game but managed to win some footy and show why he should be picked ahead of some others

Bad:
Basic skills were generally poor, turnovers from miskicks and indecision proved very costly. Too many times we headed into attack only to not even get a shot on goal or register a score. In the backline skill errors handed Port at least 3 goals on a silver platter.

Guido was very quiet, popped up late but didn't do much. Was he on the ground much?

Ugly:
Contested marks: 3 to 25 or along those lines, desparately need someone to stand up and start taking contested grabs - Rohde suggested after the game this was the vital stat that was costing us.

Still couldn't play out 4 consistent quarters of football, had our chances but failed to make the most of our opportunities.

I was also quite impressed with Boyd. He really threw himself into it, especially early in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Chops
bring back Choco Royal:)
Heard him on radio last week saying that he still harbours senior coaching aspirations. Was an excellent player, has had vast coaches box experience - surprised nobody's gone for him yet.

Originally posted by Gilbee9
I was very impressed with Boyd, he has great 2nd and 3rd efforts and never stops chasing. Wont be suprised if he is on the senior list next year, a very promising player who made the most of his ground time. Kicked a nice goal to.

Thats the type of player he is, most of the time he has a 2nd and 3rd effort.
I really hope he is on our senior list next year, cause i think hes the type of player that we need.
The goeal he kiched was his 1st in his career, i was wondering why he got so excited, until i looked at the screen and saw how many goals he had kicked.

Originally posted by McAlmanac
Heard him on radio last week saying that he still harbours senior coaching aspirations. Was an excellent player, has had vast coaches box experience - surprised nobody's gone for him yet.
Its a bit of a running "joke" McAlmanac. Our Chocco was our skils coach during the 97,98 and there have been a number of calls to get him back.(Because he is only one that improve our skills)

Sorry to get off the topic McAlmanac, Ray Huppatz (#7???) was great little player for us in the late 70s. Teaming with Dempsey a great combination and followed him to North.

Originally posted by Chops
Sorry to get off the topic McAlmanac, Ray Huppatz (#7???) was great little player for us in the late 70s. Teaming with Dempsey a great combination and followed him to North.
[off topic] Ray Huppatz (yes, #7 for Footscray) was my first footy guernsey - number 14 for Woodville (SANFL) circa 1969. 3 B&F's for our club then went to Footscray in 1974. Played State footy for SA and Victoria. In fact the three guys mentioned in my sig formed our first ruck in that year and all went on to play for Victoria and in VFL grand finals. [/off topic]

Back on topic - there's plenty of decent young players at the Bulldogs, but their development may be blunted by the team's plight.

Robbins looked like a rabbit caught in someone's headlights when he took that free in the back pocket in the last quarter.

Originally posted by Bulldog1954
Robbo was good when he got the ball, but he should have been tighter on Pickett.

We lost simply because of errors in the last quarter. Smurf and Harris gifted them goals. Robbo gave away a stupid down the field free kick. Garlick dropped an easy mark. We gave them the game in the last quarter. However we played well for most of the game and were far more accountable and hard then of late
From a Port supporter's (who went to the game) view I'd say you were in right till half-time. Port had the measure after the break, but peppered the goals missing easy shots in the third and fourth quarters (4.6 in the 3rd, 4.4 in the 4th compared to an accurate 3.2 and 3.2 from the bulldogs respectively). 33 scoring shots to 23 is a more accurate reflection of the game then the 15 point margin.

That said Bulldogs are certainly not the worst team Port have played this year and certainly don't deserve the spoon on how they've played against the top sides.

Originally posted by Andre
From a Port supporter's (who went to the game) view I'd say you were in right till half-time. Port had the measure after the break, but peppered the goals missing easy shots in the third and fourth quarters (4.6 in the 3rd, 4.4 in the 4th compared to an accurate 3.2 and 3.2 from the bulldogs respectively). 33 scoring shots to 23 is a more accurate reflection of the game then the 15 point margin.

That said Bulldogs are certainly not the worst team Port have played this year and certainly don't deserve the spoon on how they've played against the top sides.

Draw at Subi against the Coasters.
23 points up against the Crows at 3/4 time
Under 5 goal loss to Brisbane at the Gabba.

We seem to rise to a different level of intensity against the top sides but against StKilda,Richmond and Carlton we drop off or don't do it for 4 quarters. Frustrating because against the top sides playing well most times doesn't get you over the line.

Considering looking at the ladder only seeing that Port is first and we are last, I think we played pretty well... I mean we must give some credit! There were some great players in the match, I think in the last quater Croft needed to be moved down to the backline and be put on Tredrae because he was just too tall and that bit stronger than Crusher. Boyd played very well and I'd be really happy to see him on the senior list next year, he hasn't been given much of a run there this season but in the time he has played he has done pretty well. Our main problem is we play a three quater game, if they were to put in the efforts in the fourth quater that they did in the first three we would have come out much closer to winning if not with another win for the season. Dissapointing that we couldn't hang in there, but it was well played by the boys!

Remove this Banner Ad

Were we competitive today?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back