West Coast 2014-15 offseason thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Coniglio news has been on a number of board from people that have historically had some insights so not starting a rumour or breaking any news here. GWS have also stated that they are expecting to lose a few players but to date Coniglio has not been stated as one. Rightfully so as currency starts to get impacted if a club states that someone is teetering. So the deal is a realistic possibility and not done or dusted. There has been a gulf in valuations with Giants overpricing in past years but they are hopefully less arrogant this year. 2014 was OK but not brilliant for Coniglio. I believe it would be a good move for both clubs.

Expect this year on the trade period to be very active for a number of clubs. This Essendon ban is going to playing fun and games on any player with a show cause notice looming and potential ban will wipe out valuations. Thank goodness we did not complete the Brown for Hooker trade. In 2014, Hooker went passed Brown even though Brown stepped up to be a sure starter. Great year from Hooker and hope for his sake he doesn't get an extended holiday.

If I was on Eagles list management, I would be going to Geelong to give them our R2 and Sinclair for their R1. That way we either get 2 first rounders or we get one R1 plus say a Coniglio. The draft looks deep to 15 but then drops a bit so Geelong out earlier in the finals works in this case.

If I was on Eagles list management, I would be going to Geelong to give them our R2 and Sinclair for their R1. That way we either get 2 first rounders or we get one R1 plus say a Coniglio. The draft looks deep to 15 but then drops a bit so Geelong out earlier in the finals works in this case.

There is just no chance we'll go into 2015 with 2 rucks on the list. It's not as simple as just drafting another - there aren't many good ones out there.

There is just no chance we'll go into 2015 with 2 rucks on the list. It's not as simple as just drafting another - there aren't many good ones out there.

We have already mentioned Sinclair is tradeable.

I agree though - no chance we go in with 2 rucks on the list

We'd have to go and secure someone like Lowden, Giles. Or at the very least get a couple from the WAFL like Johnson etc. Maybe rookie the big Q :)

McGovern can ruck at a pinch

We'd have to go and secure someone like Lowden, Giles. Or at the very least get a couple from the WAFL like Johnson etc. Maybe rookie the big Q :)

I'd be okay with a Giles instead of Sinclair but isn't that kind of breaking even trade wise? ;)

A more profitable scenario would be trading Sinclair and recruiting Johnson cheap, but that seems unlikely to me.

Forget Lowden or Giles. McInnes and McGovern are good coverage. We have 2 ruckmen and push comes to shove we can cover with NicNat or Lycett and one of the Mac. Not ideal but decent cover. If we lose both then yes we are in trouble. Likewise if we lose both McKenzie and Brown we are in trouble.

Would be OK if we drafted as a rookie Frampton from Souths.

Seems excessive pick 7 ,10 would be enough to satisfy Collingwood .Also pick 10 for Swallow is overs and may invoke a exchange of 2 nd round picks for Wce
Pick 10 for swallow is overs??! No one at pick 10 in this draft will come close to producing what Swallow can and does

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You didn't respond at all to my post. Swallow is better than anyone well get at 10

My original post said Swallow was overs and would need to involve a swap of 2nd rd picks .
What wrong with that ?

As for Swallow well he's not a starting midfielder he's behind Ablett ,Omeare ,Prestia ,Bennell and Martin will leapfrog him too .So there should be some leeway in negotiating for him with a top 10 pick .

Last edited:
Swallow is better than anyone well get at 10

Let time be the judge of that statement. Dangerfield went at 10 (and no he was not a slider at the time) and Nat Fyfe went at 20 (few if anyone saw that coming). On the so called "best available scale", Bontempelli was seen as a bolter by many at and look who at the change in just 12 months. Emma Quayle had Bontempelli at 11 weeks prior to the draft!!

Drafting is not an exact science. I believe the lack of diversity in the first 10 draft picks shows that we as a group of spectators suffer from Group Think. Poor old Callum Twomey thinks he has nailed the draft because he waits until the day before the draft and has spoken to most of the recruiters and knows who is on the plane to the location.

My original post said Swallow was overs and would need to involve a swap of 2nd rd picks .
What wrong with that ?

As for Swallow well he's not a starting midfielder he's behind Ablett ,Omeare ,Prestia ,Bennell and Martin will leapfrog him too .So there should be some leeway in negotiating for him with a top 10 pick .

Based on this year I'd pick him 2nd behind Ablett.
I know Prestia had a slightly better year but Swallow is just a bull at the contest.
Exactly what we need IMO and I'd love the club to swing big for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast 2014-15 offseason thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back