West Coast and 2006 - The Footy Show (10/6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Terry Wallace's comments were quite bizarre.

He basically says that he feared for Cousins' wellbeing/life and that after consultation with other members of the board, they felt obligated to draft him just to more or less "save his life."

The whole Wallace segue seemed pretty strange/what's wrong with this picture to me. When has a club ever knowingly drafted a drug addict just for "their own well being."?

Dunno what barrow Wallace is trying to push there but that seemed fishy as f@ck to me.

but people with addictions shouldn't be shamed and you sound like someone who has no real world experience.

Do you know some one personally affected by a drug addiction?

I know two. Or knew. Both are now dead. I was also married to a rehab counselor for 5 years. And the primary thing I learned in those experiences is that anyone who makes definitive statements like you do with such utter certainty knows **** all. Lacks real world experience.

Shame is a key motivation factor in recovery from addiction. Some of it comes from inside, but many addicts need external help finding it. It is not found by love and support and plattitudes. It's found by life as an addict delivering a kick up the arse that shoves the individual into a place they don't like and can't ignore.

That doesn't have to mean everyone gets around in a circle and shouts "filthy junky". But what it definitely means is that family and friends and football clubs have to stop smoothing away little problems.

Who leaked the report?
There is nothing in here that hadn't already come to light... and is ten years old.
The coverup at the afl and wce is now official .
The 2006 flag is tainted?
The screams from a set of supporters suggesting wce having governance issues
Maybe fitzpatrick forgot to shred his copy when cleaning out his office?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course it belongs here. Illicit drugs are banned in match day/competition because they have performance enhancement benefits.

Cousin's second half in the prelim final of 2006 has been raised many times if he had a snort at half time or took some other stimulant to produce such a dominate performance in the second half..

That's merely speculation. Understandable speculation, given what we know about him, but also completely unsupported by fact. Cousins was known to deliberately avoid drugs around competition where he may be tested. He would also have been one of the most targeted players for drug tests at that time, and with most drugs staying in your system for a couple of days to a week at a minimum, I find it very unlikely he could have gotten away with that.

Have any other players ever produced a dominant second half? If so, was it because of drugs?

Don't forget that Cousins was always a VERY talented and hard working footballer, from his first year in the system right through until when his hamstrings gave up on him.

That's merely speculation. Understandable speculation, given what we know about him, but also completely unsupported by fact. Cousins was known to deliberately avoid drugs around competition where he may be tested. He would also have been one of the most targeted players for drug tests at that time, and with most drugs staying in your system for a couple of days to a week at a minimum, I find it very unlikely he could have gotten away with that.

Have any other players ever produced a dominant second half? If so, was it because of drugs?

Don't forget that Cousins was always a VERY talented and hard working footballer, from his first year in the system right through until when his hamstrings gave up on him.

I hear Michael Braun had some big second half performances...

Akka told me.

Did Ben Cousins produce a urine or blood sample for ASADA/ASDA after that 2006 Prelim Final? If the answer is no, then it just adds to the intrigue. Several university studies have shown you have between a 2% to 3% chance of getting done for PED's in or out of competition. So that means you have a 97% chance of getting away with it, which are pretty good odds if you are desperate.

I am a big athletics and cycling fan. Over 3 or 4 decades I have heard plenty of but,but,but arguments and excuses. I have learnt to be sceptical of all athletes.

Last edited:
Ok do I go for the cheap laugh and ask if his hammys went ping on him or do I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment.

Ben was an extremely hard worker. Adelaides issues in the Prelim were more losing Biglands and having Van Berlo, who while undoubtedly fit, was still a 2nd/3rd year player.

The only item of note here is that Wallet interview and how solariums may bring on early dementia. The thought that Richmond, or any other club for that matter, would see it necessary to draft Ben "for the good of the game and Ben" is highly implausible.

The only item of note here is that Wallet interview and how solariums may bring on early dementia. The thought that Richmond, or any other club for that matter, would see it necessary to draft Ben "for the good of the game and Ben" is highly implausible.

Terry Wallace's interview about Ben and the fact Richmond still drafted him is the strangest thing in the whole affair for me.

It won't be the last club to be implicated. Three members of the Hawthorn team that reached the Preliminary final in 2001 have already admitted to drug use in that year. Not a premiership year but they went deep into September! These players were quickly offloaded by Hawthorn.

Did Ben Cousins produce a urine or blood sample for ASADA/ASDA after that 2006 Prelim Final? If the answer is no, then it just adds to the intrigue. Several university studies have shown you have between a 2% to 3% chance of getting done for PED's in or out of competition. So that means you have a 97% chance of getting away with it, which are pretty good odds if you are desperate.

I am a big athletics and cycling fan. Over 3 or 4 decades I have heard plenty of but,but,but arguments and excuses. I have learnt to be sceptical of all athletes.

I don't know. I'd like to think so, but couldn't find anything indicating one way or another.

If he wasn't tested, but was tested immediately after 10 other brilliant performances that year (and was clean each time) that would at least be enough for me to be confident, as mentioned previously, that he was not on something for match day.

Also, those PED studies are likely not based on stimulant party drugs which have a much more straightforward test with clear results. It was implied such a drug could have been responsible for his 2nd half effort. We aren't talking bicycle or athletic doping with masking agents, we are talking amphetamines and ecstasy etc.

The scepticism is warranted, but at the end of the day it's far from the (even circumstantial) proof required to say that 2nd half performance was drug assisted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast and 2006 - The Footy Show (10/6)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back