2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL's around the state leagues appears to be someone literally looking up the stats & trying to add some commentary to suggest they watched the games, but not succeeding in doing so

Well I mean they have gone to the trouble to glance over the stats sheets for all those boring state league games from around the country (well, the ‘VFL’ + SA and WA), it’s probably a bit to expect anybody to have actually watched the games too….

Let’s face it though, I’m not even sure Kyal Horsely caught this one.

Thats the joke.

Oh, I thought he might have kicked one that got credited to someone else. Looking at the highlights it seemed like
Mouritz got given one that was actually kicked by Lucassen.

I think Burgiel is one who has to go onto the rookie list at the end of the season. Just seems a fair way off it at this stage. His injuries basically put him back to square one.

I feel like with the versatility to Culleys game he is next cab off the rank. Luke Edwards time has come really. A easy swap id like to think for next week

Didn't see a second but 25 touches and 2 goals looks pretty good next to Culleys name in that sort of a score, good to see.

Edwars played well at AFL level just 2 weeks ago I think he's allowed a down game playing full back in that rabble. Perfect example of how this terrible setup is stifling development
It's a concern for the forwards more so. Thought Archer played a very good game yesterday considering.

His height really had his opponents panicking at times.

Question for those with more knowledge of the WAFL than me. Is it actually possible for players to develop in the WAFL? I can’t understand how we can be soooo bad week after week (yet beat last year’s premiers - ????)
Is it possible we’ve debuted so many players because it’s the only way they’ll learn about high level football - because their Beagles’ experiences are so mediocre?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for those with more knowledge of the WAFL than me. Is it actually possible for players to develop in the WAFL? I can’t understand how we can be soooo bad week after week (yet beat last year’s premiers - ????)
Is it possible we’ve debuted so many players because it’s the only way they’ll learn about high level football - because their Beagles’ experiences are so mediocre?

I think the biggest issue is the absence of about half a dozen or so experienced WAFL players in their mid to late twenties

That would give us a seasoned core to build around

It can be easy to fall into the trap of thinking we have 10-15 AFL listed players so we should do alright. Problem is the majority of listed players are in their first or second year at the club and are undeveloped, so putting them in with a group of amateur level players leaves us too inexperienced

That’s probably due to a combination of recruitment rules, an unwillingness of those experienced type WAFL players to be at West Coast and our own inability to attract them

That’s the issue the club needs to address and I’m not convinced moving to what is currently the VFL rectifies that problem

I think we also have an issue with the game plan. Trying to get the WAFL side to play an AFL game plan using players that are unfamiliar and/or unsuited to it doesn’t work against experienced WAFL sides. They can too easily pick our method apart whilst playing to their own strengths which we aren’t set up for

Peel works for Freo because they have that core of strong WAFL players that play a style more suited to the WAFL

I didn’t watch the game but I don’t know how Edwards can go from a great game at AFL level to being absolutely being dominated at WAFL level. I know Keitel is decent and loves beating us up but it still you expect a lot more from an afl listed player thats been in a list for 6 years

I think the biggest issue is the absence of about half a dozen or so experienced WAFL players in their mid to late twenties

That would give us a seasoned core to build around

It can be easy to fall into the trap of thinking we have 10-15 AFL listed players so we should do alright. Problem is the majority of listed players are in their first or second year at the club and are undeveloped, so putting them in with a group of amateur level players leaves us too inexperienced

That’s probably due to a combination of recruitment rules, an unwillingness of those experienced type WAFL players to be at West Coast and our own inability to attract them

That’s the issue the club needs to address and I’m not convinced moving to what is currently the VFL rectifies that problem

I think we also have an issue with the game plan. Trying to get the WAFL side to play an AFL game plan using players that are unfamiliar and/or unsuited to it doesn’t work against experienced WAFL sides. They can too easily pick our method apart whilst playing to their own strengths which we aren’t set up for

Peel works for Freo because they have that core of strong WAFL players that play a style more suited to the WAFL
This has been true for 3 years now. The issue isn’t hard to find or solve. The issue is no one has any interest in solving it. WAFL clubs love the free win and Pyke/Nisbett love to take the soft way out and cower to the demands of the WAFL teams

Pretending the problem is tough to solve or unsolvable isn’t living in reality when we have Peel as evidence of a working system

This has been true for 3 years now. The issue isn’t hard to find or solve. The issue is no one has any interest in solving it. WAFL clubs love the free win and Pyke/Nisbett love to take the soft way out and cower to the demands of the WAFL teams

Pretending the problem is tough to solve or unsolvable isn’t living in reality when we have Peel as evidence of a working system

So based on what you said the answer is obvious, please tell us what it is?

So based on what you said the answer is obvious, please tell us what it is?
We operate the exact same way Peel does is the start. Without that we simply got to pack it in dont we?

I’m past the point of fixing it. I’d pull the plug mid season and organise practice matches behind closed doors from now to the end of the year. Don’t think Archer Reid and Loch Rawlinson learn much chasing shadows

We operate the exact same way Peel does is the start. Without that we simply got to pack it in dont we?

I’m past the point of fixing it. I’d pull the plug mid season and organise practice matches behind closed doors from now to the end of the year. Don’t think Archer Reid and Loch Rawlinson learn much chasing shadows

How can you operate the same as Peel do if you don’t have a WAFL footy club? League-reserves-colts.
And by the way it’s not to far apart anyway. The difference being Peel are a club.
Again abd this has been mentioned many times, we have only used 65% of our points allowance. Why didn’t the Eagles recruit players? Most of if not all the recruiting restrictions are gone now.
Surely there has to be a way, nothing will change being in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back