2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to add to it when you are not allowed to be competitive. It’s a bit self fulfilling.

Sounds like lots of ego if they are referring to it as vfl or whatever they call it. And unfortunately you cannot reason with those types. They sound like the old generation types and they won’t be around forever.

With less concessions they were very competitive just 3 years ago, people forget that. They got a massive injury issue at the Eagles and of course this had a serious impact on their two's.
If West Perth got 15-20 injuries to their senior squad they would also be not competitive in the two's.
I think way to much is being made of this by the Eagles.
Just 3 years ago with less recruiting concessions they made the finals!! They never complained that season?

Like I said hope fully Don Pyke can mend some issues that appear to be there from both camps.

With less concessions they were very competitive just 3 years ago, people forget that. They got a massive injury issue at the Eagles and of course this had a serious impact on their two's.
If West Perth got 15-20 injuries to their senior squad they would also be not competitive in the two's.
Just 3 years ago with less recruiting concessions they made the finals!! They never complained that season?

Like I said hope fully Don Pyke can mend some issues that appear to be there from both camps.

The team’s performance between now and the June deadline will be very interesting.

Last season they looked great during the scratchies, but the demolition Derby when the seniors lost seven players in one day coincided with the start of the WAFL season and they were on the back foot from the start.

If the squad can stay healthy for at least a few months and the Beagles can chalk up a few wins, maybe this national reserves talk goes away.

The team’s performance between now and the June deadline will be very interesting.

Last season they looked great during the scratchies, but the demolition Derby when the seniors lost seven players in one day coincided with the start of the WAFL season and they were on the back foot from the start.

If the squad can stay healthy for at least a few months and the Beagles can chalk up a few wins, maybe this national reserves talk goes away.

Yes mate, I think as long as the injury list stays normal then the Eagles should be more than fine in the Two's. But a huge injury run will again decimate them.
You simply cannot recruit for huge injury runs.

Changing topic

You’ll have a had time convincing me that Bailey (son of Drew) Banfield isn’t going to be lining up for our WAFL side this year

He’s been training with the club since the end of last year and as been there almost as regularly as our other recruits Ruscoe and Gilbee. Played in the match sim yesterday alongside Luke Yeo and Spadanuda who are also on our WAFL list

It’s not a father/son predraft thing because he nominated for last year’s draft and was overlooked

If we haven’t signed him I have no idea why he wouldn’t be training at Claremont where he played last year

Seems odd nothings been mentioned though

They never mention the WAFL side. Did they even officially announced the Ruscoe and Gillbee signings?

Don’t think the club did but it was reported on that they had - probably because they were both delisted AFL players though

Think they’ve both been mentioned as our WAFL players in some of the club’s training reports but Banfield as only been identified as Drew’s son

Don’t think the club did but it was reported on that they had - probably because they were both delisted AFL players though

Think they’ve both been mentioned as our WAFL players in some of the club’s training reports but Banfield as only been identified as Drew’s son

For what it’s worth, the WAFL site is still showing him as a Claremont player but there doesn’t seem to have been any update on our list on there for weeks.

I think Vishy also picked up on the fact that Jackson Nelson was in a knee brace recently, so who knows what his timeline for recovery is

15-20 injuries covers eagles and wafl. Two competitions. West Perth is just one competition, not the same. At end of the day there is competitiveness issue. No matter what arrangement there is. Injuries are part of it and reduced list sizes has had impact too.

Bottom line is eagles want to be competitive and wafl don’t want them to be. Thats the no1 issue and excuses are just that, excuses.

15-20 injuries covers eagles and wafl. Two competitions. West Perth is just one competition, not the same. At end of the day there is competitiveness issue. No matter what arrangement there is. Injuries are part of it and reduced list sizes has had impact too.

Bottom line is eagles want to be competitive and wafl don’t want them to be. Thats the no1 issue and excuses are just that, excuses.

Sorry mate but thats absolute rubbish. The Eagles were very competitive just 3 years ago, since then more concessions have been granted. It's the Eagles with the excuses, every system they have had they have complained about.

West Coast had 70-odd players across the AFL and WAFL squads last year and still had times when they were drawing on the absolute bottom of the squad and didn’t have enough available players to fill out an extended WAFL bench. List sizes aren’t the issue.

I did the exercise last season of going through the WAFL squad and listing out all the senior AFL and WAFL experience in it. I’ll do it again this year when the squad is officially announced but they’ve got Nelson, Ruscoe and Gillbee as players with AFL or AFL-list experience, plus Hansen, Henderson, Creasey, Burke, Nitschke off the top of my head that have a reasonable amount of WAFL experience.

There’s a good enough squad to compete provided they have a reasonable number of AFL-listed players available and they’re not having to field 20 top-ups, including a bunch of guys who’ve never played seniors before. That’s what we saw last year.

"Were very competitive just 3 years ago...."
"Just 3 years ago...."
"Very competitive, yep, 3 years ago..."

Keep saying that like they haven't been a total basket case since the conclusion of the 2019 season. We're now in 2024.

The club has had 1 competitive season and been a total shit show disaster for 3 other seasons, so 75% of their time in the comp.

Keep saying like they haven't been a total basket case since the conclusion of the 2019 season. We're now in 2024.

The club has had 1 competitive season and been a total s**t show disaster for 3 other seasons, so 75% of their time in the comp.

Sort the injuries out and better things will happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Just 3 years ago...."
"Very competitive, yep, 3 years ago..."

Keep saying that like they haven't been a total basket case since the conclusion of the 2019 season. We're now in 2024.

The club has had 1 competitive season and been a total s**t show disaster for 3 other seasons, so 75% of their time in the comp.

2021 was reasonable considering the club only very belatedly made the decision to field a side and the only top up player of any note was Hammer.

2022 and 2023 were shitshows for the entire club.

Sorry mate but thats absolute rubbish. The Eagles were very competitive just 3 years ago, since then more concessions have been granted. It's the Eagles with the excuses, every system they have had they have complained about.

What are you talking about out?

We were competitive in 2019 as club who had a premiership winning afl squad and even at that strength and depth, only won 50% of games.

So you have a bit of a distorted view to think that is “concessions” and somehow competitive.

I look forward to our wafl team reaching 50% win rate only next time we win a premiership. Until then, let the hammerings continue. It’s eagles fault they don’t have a premiership winning team after all and damn the wafl development.

WAFL thinks it can come to arrangement where it can micro manage amount of games eagles win. If we can’t win more than 9 games under best case scenario, then it is actually wafl “concessions” that are a problem.

Not sure what else you are talking about 3 years ago. Winning 4 games with percentage of 65?? Good.one. At least check your facts.

Bit of a copout i reckon.

Your team shouldn't just fall to pieces due to injuries. It's the fact it's injuries + lack of actual WAFL standard player depth which causes the combined problem.

Well that’s how teams fall to pieces. We see it every year. Injuries are part of playing sport. That’s why access to adequate numbers is required.

It’s why afl has a 44 list and not 21. Everyone would love absolute perfection.

Not giving eagles excuse on injuries but development of players suffer if for whatever reason there are injuries and not their fault. There has to be access to adequate depth to cover injuries.

Well that’s how teams fall to pieces. We see it every year. Injuries are part of playing sport. That’s why access to adequate numbers is required.

It’s why afl has a 44 list and not 21. Everyone would love absolute perfection.

Not giving eagles excuse on injuries but development of players suffer if for whatever reason there are injuries and not their fault. There has to be access to adequate depth to cover injuries.

How do you do that unless you give the Eagles the same salary cap? How can they get the same salary cap when they have up to 20 odd AFL listed players that could play?

Stop blaming the WAFL clubs, they will never ever agree that the sane salary cap can be used and the Eagles should not even be asking. Recruiting is hard for the Eagles because they don’t have the money to throw at players in the WAFL.

How do you do that unless you give the Eagles the same salary cap? How can they get the same salary cap when they have up to 20 odd AFL listed players that could play?

Stop blaming the WAFL clubs, they will never ever agree that the sane salary cap can be used and the Eagles should not even be asking. Recruiting is hard for the Eagles because they don’t have the money to throw at players in the WAFL.

So there you go. Roadblock is wafl. Salary cap can be moved to something higher but they won’t because of self interest. Better to let eagles get smacked each week.

So what if once or twice in decade eagles win the premiership? Is that really so bad? Needle needs to move more and it’s in their power to do that but egos won’t let that happen. Sooner the old farts go, the better as no one else is interested in wafl.

They may be afl listed players, but it’s not as though there are 15 to 20 Dustin Martin’s. Most will be skinny 18-21 year olds who aren’t really good enough.

AFL listed does not mean they can hold an afl position. Let’s not kid ourselves.

So there you go. Roadblock is wafl. Salary cap can be moved to something higher but they won’t because of self interest. Better to let eagles get smacked each week.

So what if once or twice in decade eagles win the premiership? Is that really so bad? Needle needs to move more and it’s in their power to do that but egos won’t let that happen. Sooner the old farts go, the better as no one else is interested in wafl.

They may be afl listed players, but it’s not as though there are 15 to 20 Dustin Martin’s. Most will be skinny 18-21 year olds who aren’t really good enough.

AFL listed does not mean they can hold an afl position. Let’s not kid ourselves.

More fanboy nonsense.

Does it really matter whose fault it is? The reality is the WAFL set up hasn't worked, doesn't work and doesn't look like it can work unless far greater concessions are given to the Eagles that the WAFL may not be willing to grant. There is no doubt that the Eagles injury issues have exacerbated the problems but when the back ups are amateur park players, there is no hope for the Beagles.

In terms of fixing the WAFL set up, I am not sure what the answer is as I see why the WAFL can't just give the Eagles a much higher salary cap or have unlimited access to WAFL players who may sit on the sidelines when the BEagles have a healthy list, as it may wreck the other WAFL teams/ the "competitiveness" of the competition (using that term loosely). But the current "concessions" simply don't work and from an Eagles perspective, we would, in my view, be far better off in a national comp where we can build our own B list and recruit who we want, assuming the players have an interest to play for us. Money and exposure will help.

However, the BEagles entering a national comp may detrimentally impact the WAFL if there is a player drain. Whilst that is not a direct concern of the Eagles, if the comp suffers, the talent coming through will also suffer and we have seen how light on WA seems to be of late.

It's either a national reserves comp for me or back to the old farm out system which, whilst not ideal, kind of worked. But there seems to be no appetite for that.

Its not just salary cap its that WAFL player points system that stops WCE from recruiting too many "name" players hence the need to get ammos. They have slightly increased both the points and salary cap for this year so WCE should be able to form a more competitive team.

Does it really matter whose fault it is? The reality is the WAFL set up hasn't worked, doesn't work and doesn't look like it can work unless far greater concessions are given to the Eagles that the WAFL may not be willing to grant. There is no doubt that the Eagles injury issues have exacerbated the problems but when the back ups are amateur park players, there is no hope for the Beagles.

In terms of fixing the WAFL set up, I am not sure what the answer is as I see why the WAFL can't just give the Eagles a much higher salary cap or have unlimited access to WAFL players who may sit on the sidelines when the BEagles have a healthy list, as it may wreck the other WAFL teams/ the "competitiveness" of the competition (using that term loosely). But the current "concessions" simply don't work and from an Eagles perspective, we would, in my view, be far better off in a national comp where we can build our own B list and recruit who we want, assuming the players have an interest to play for us. Money and exposure will help.

However, the BEagles entering a national comp may detrimentally impact the WAFL if there is a player drain. Whilst that is not a direct concern of the Eagles, if the comp suffers, the talent coming through will also suffer and we have seen how light on WA seems to be of late.

It's either a national reserves comp for me or back to the old farm out system which, whilst not ideal, kind of worked. But there seems to be no appetite for that.

Good post, the reality is nothing works for the Eagles. 4 different systems all no good apparently.

I mean, the Beagles made the WAFL finals before the injury tsunami hit.

Doesn't that indicate there isn't much wrong with the WAFL arrangement and more to do with our injury/surface management? We're talking basically unprecedented extended levels of player unavailability here.

The WAFL should concern itself more with making Perth more competitive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back