2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Barnett reads to me like another Brander. Has talent but no fight or grit. He doesn't seem the type to get dirty before/during or even after the whips are cracking.
I know talls take longer to develop but usually you see bits and pieces of what they could bring, or effort at the very least.
Barnett isn't showing even that.

Was impressed by Baker today, held up well under the weight of Perth’s forward entries (that was a weird sentence to write).

Wasn’t a lot else to like, frankly.

Barnett reads to me like another Brander. Has talent but no fight or grit. He doesn't seem the type to get dirty before/during or even after the whips are cracking.
I know talls take longer to develop but usually you see bits and pieces of what they could bring, or effort at the very least.
Barnett isn't showing even that.

Disappointing him being rated higher than Knobel in his draft year yet Knobel looking by far the better prospect at this stage.

Another blight on how the Beagles setup develops players - at Peel Knobel has played a bunch of reserves games getting used to being the #1 ruck and confidence up, then that form has translated well to WAFL league when he's played. Think some time in a ressies side could be so good for Barnett - sometimes confidence can bring out fight and grit

Was impressed by Baker today, held up well under the weight of Perth’s forward entries (that was a weird sentence to write).

Wasn’t a lot else to like, frankly.
I could be wrong but didn’t you try and tell me yesterday that “you are easily impressed if you think baker has been in good wafl form”. Did you decide to actually watch him today?

I could be wrong but didn’t you try and tell me yesterday that “you are easily impressed if you think baker has been in good wafl form”. Did you decide to actually watch him today?

Best game I’ve seen him play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has played better games than this and been in similar form for awhile.

Did you watch the game against west Perth? Level above this game in that game.

He was good that game as well, I was more impressed with him this week.

I said it last week, but I really think we should try to negotiate time for Harry in a reserves team for another WAFL side.

He seems like a nice kid really low on confidence. A slow build did wonders for Knobel and Harry isn't ready for WAFL league.

I said it last week, but I really think we should try to negotiate time for Harry in a reserves team for another WAFL side.

He seems like a nice kid really low on confidence. A slow build did wonders for Knobel and Harry isn't ready for WAFL league.
I think you are right here. Some kids just aren't ready for WAFL hardened bodies, especially ruckmen...brutal.
I do really hope it's just confidence. Would like to see Harry crack in more, though...don't worry about winning ruck or being outmuscled, just chase, tackle, put heat on oppo, effort

More often than not Barnett is the biggest and heaviest player on the ground. He's done match Sim and trained with mature bodies ever since he walked through the door to the club 2 years ago.

He's got access to professional coaching, advice, resources and facilities WAFL players do not. I think he's well equipped to handle state level footy.

Bloke needs to dig deep and find something quick, or the pitch forks will be out soon.

Any chance Barnett is just suffering from the shin splints he developed around the time he went to poo and probably should be on ice already? Decision not to play him in the ruck seems to have been made and seems he's pretty much checked out mentally. Keen to see how he performs after a break and another preseason.

The comment by Barnett early this year that, when he loses the first ruck contest of the day, he knows he’s in for a bad day was insightful. All he’s done so far appears to confirm that sort of pessimism, lack of competitive spirit and lack of resilience. Talls take time of course but this guy’s displaying traits which suggest he’s totally unsuited to an AFL career, despite his obvious physical attributes.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds West Coast Eagles WAFL Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back