West Coast's five best home and away wins

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll always remember this one.

We've played some crackers against the bulldogs over the years, including round 1 last year (which although we lost I think was one of the games of the season). I really loved this one in 2004:

And I really enjoyed round 10, 1998 v the doggies at the WACA. Down by 8 goals at 1/4 time with a disgruntled crowd. My dad was absolutely spitting chips. Little 13 year old optimist I was turned to him and said "Dad, if they can kick 8 goals to none in a quarter, then so can we." I think he brushed it off.
Nek minnit, we kick 8 goals to go into half time a point up and win the game by 13 points. It was the corresponding game the previous year I really started to hate the dirty Terry Wallace-coached dogs, after Libba's scrag job on Ben Cousins, so victory that night was even sweeter.

We've played some crackers against the bulldogs over the years, including round 1 last year (which although we lost I think was one of the games of the season).

The second game we played against them last year was great too. The first half was a great, exciting game of footy from both sides. The second half was probably the best display we have put on with the current team. Pure dominance.

The second game we played against them last year was great too. The first half was a great, exciting game of footy from both sides. The second half was probably the best display we have put on with the current team. Pure dominance.

I was there :D Big build up too, the Doggies were one of the form teams of the competition at that stage too, pushing hard for a top 4 spot and were the darlings of the Vic press.

Was a sweet, sweet demolition job and pretty much ended the Doggies season as a potential contender :thumbsu:

I think the best one I've been to was vs Geelong in 2011:

Remembering the context, until this game Geelong had lost one game all year and would go on to win the premiership. We finished dead last the year before.

And we won :D

The game itself was incredible but what will remain with me forever is heading to the train station after the game, walking under the tunnel there, was the crowd spontaneously busting out the club song. Still sends shivers down my spine to this day. After the horrors of 2010 it was just an expression of pure passionate joy :thumbsu:

Remembering the context, until this game Geelong had lost one game all year and would go on to win the premiership. We finished dead last the year before.

The game itself was incredible but what will remain with me forever is heading to the train station after the game, walking under the tunnel there, was the crowd spontaneously busting out the club song. Still sends shivers down my spine to this day. After the horrors of 2010 it was just an expression of pure passionate joy :thumbsu:

YES I was sitting right near the cheersquad for that game. Probably the best atmosphere I've ever experienced at subi in a H+A game. I think it was a couple weeks later we beat Carlton in a final and I sat in the same block again. It was epic.

EDIT: Just noticed it was round 12. Maybe I'm thinking of a different game.
Or it was a lot more than a few weeks and my memory is bad.

Last edited:
Round 10, 1998 vs Bulldogs was pretty memorable for me.
WB kicked 8 goals to 0 in the 1st quarter, we reversed that in the 2nd term.
Glad that the 1st derby match wasn't included like a lot of other lists.

Came in to post this - IIRC we were at the WACA? Pretty sure my old man was considering leaving at the end of the first quarter. Soft ****.

I was right on the fence for that game. I watched it on tv afterwards and there's a shot of my family with Stevie J in the picture with my mum giving him the most evil glare. She really doesn't like him. :p

How about this one?

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1998/051819980619.html

Won 11.17 to 11.6, Peter Matera kicked 7.

I was at the G that night in the MCG members which was full of Bombers supporters. Malthouse moved Matera to full forward and cleared out the forward line except for him in the last one and a half quarters. Matera killed them on his own. I remember waving my jacket around my head at the end of the game .........mobile phones were about the size of and weight of half a house brick back then and it was in my jacket at the time. I whacked a Bombers supporter next to me across the back of his head ...... almost knocked him out and just about started a riot. Lucky there was a group of 5 of us!
A great night!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the G that night in the MCG members which was full of Bombers supporters. Malthouse moved Matera to full forward and cleared out the forward line except for him in the last one and a half quarters. Matera killed them on his own. I remember waving my jacket around my head at the end of the game .........mobile phones were about the size of and weight of half a house brick back then and it was in my jacket at the time. I whacked a Bombers supporter next to me across the back of his head ...... almost knocked him out and just about started a riot. Lucky there was a group of 5 of us!
A great night!!

I was only 13 and remember following the game on ABC radio waiting for the delayed telecast to start.

**** I hated Friday night footy until about 2012.

the geelong game was unforgettable. the carlton the game after just as good.

but in the past five years. it would have to be either the port game last year and to go a bit further back itd def be the geelong 2011 game.

My favourite of recent memory is definitely the West Coast vs. Adelaide game - round 17, 2006.

Adelaide were such hot favourites the premiership was basically theirs.
Leading in to the game they were 8 points clear on top of the ladder with a percentage of 172%!!
They'd lost only 2 games all year.

We were missing Cox, Embley, Hunter and Fletcher - I think we were paying about $4 to win despite being at home.

We just go BANG!!
6 goals in the first quarter to 1, it was such a statement, Adelaide were shellshocked, they hadn't had this type of resistance all year.
A quieter Quarter 2 still saw us 6 goals ahead, but there was still a chance Adelaide could have come back.

But we go BANG again, with 9 goals in Q3 and 7 in Q4 to win by 85 points, the entire season was flipped on it's head, Adelaide won the next week, but then went on a 3 game losing streak and we added more misery beating them at AAMI stadium in the Prelim.

I'm certain if we didn't smash them in that game we never would have made the GF.

Brisbane 03 at the Gabba was pretty awesome. Shame we went backwards not long after in that season.

The port game last year was also very cool, was the most excited I had been in years after a win.

Brisbane 03 at the Gabba was pretty awesome. Shame we went backwards not long after in that season.

The port game last year was also very cool, was the most excited I had been in years after a win.

Didn't we go backwards because Port Adelaide's 'tough men' roughed up our up and coming boys taking out Gardiner's PCL, along with at least Cousins and Kerr, one of whom was spear tackled?

Didn't we go backwards because Port Adelaide's 'tough men' roughed up our up and coming boys taking out Gardiner's PCL, along with at least Cousins and Kerr, one of whom was spear tackled?
I recall Kerr getting drilled, and Gardiner, Judd etc were done basically after this game.

Ones that stay in my memory was the 8 goal turnaround game from the first to second quarter against the dogs in 98 i think it was, against the lions in 03, against the crowbots in 06, against geelong in 2011 and against the swans round 1 of 2007.

Some of the other ones that others have mentioned like the geelong and carlton comeback games were were really poor for a lot of those games. The game against port this year was exciting because we got over the line but historically i dont think it was that great a win. The two games against north melbourne where our ruckmen won us the game were better than those ones for me and even our games this year against sydney, richmond and the dogs i preferred.

" Line in the sand " Bombers vs Hawks is on FF atm , googled and landed here funnily enough.

That WC Cats game - epic ( overused word but , my god this match was bonkers )
Also , THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!....

r89019_264036.jpg

Still can't believe Gaz got off too.

Also can't believe that last minute comeback vs my mob 2 years ago didn't make the list.

A lot of great games so far. A few are good in hindsight and others were pumped up beforehand and were big games. I tend to favour a good game against a top team over a milestone or blowout. And ive probably forgotten a few as well. Here are my thoughts;

I think the comeback Geelong game in 2006 gets mentioned a lot but mainly because of the score reversal. Was like watching a Geelong training drill the first half and a bit then a West Coast training drill from then on. No Judd but Cousins ran his arse off to get us back into it. Was a bit disappointing to be playing so poorly (with gf aspirations in mind) and we also had a number of come behind wins around that time so it never seemed that special.

We have had a few games against the doggies lately that have been gripping. Need more of those with each team having a crack no matter the ladder position but they just don't seem as significant to me.

North 2012 & 2013. Cheeky buggers should never have been that close anyway. Our ruckmen like playing them, with great marks by Cox then Natanui winning the game for us in red time.

When we beat Brisbane in 2002-2004 a few times? Don't remember anything specific but was a special win from a young bottom side against the hardened premiers and were seen as huge upsets. Probably thought they would just show up and win, but Brisbane never dominated as much during the home and away games in those years compared to finals.

;)Lecras 12 was awesome, also Cummings 10 againt Freo, and Kennedy is a Bandit against bottom 8 teams so I expect it from him but these games were mostly blowouts.

My top 5

1. WCE v Geelong 2011 R-16.
From last spot the year before(IMO we werent the worst team though), it looked like we had played well to get a few wins. We had yet to prove anything against any of the top teams and had been touched up a few times by the all conquering Geelong in the previous years. Embley ran amok and Scott Selwood stood up and played a great game in a tough guy role (which was a bit of a breakout performance in my eyes). Showed a nice blend of our veterans and youth. The win solidified our spot in the top 8 and from there we went on to made the top 4 and then a prelim.

2. Sydney vs WCE 2007 R-1.
Such a epic rivalry, and the shit hit the fan that offseason. Both teams flag windows were still wide open and there was a lot of talk about revenge and the focus from Sydney and how West coast had partied their hunger away. I personally didn't ever want to see Sydney beat us until every player from 2005 had retired. We traveled to Sydney, Kerr carved it up and Mitch Brown absolutely killed it at CHF on debut and looked a superstar in the making. 1 point win shut the media up and we looked good.

3. WCE v Adelaide 2006 R-17.
Amazing win at home when we were down on form and struggling a bit with injuries. Took top spot from a high quality Adelaide team who had performed just as well as us ( if not better) over the gf years '05 '06. From memory a lot of our "lesser" players dominated, and was the first time I ever saw an inside out kick at goals along the ground by Brett Burton in the last quater. Wow! Must have though of hetting goal of the year as we were giving Adelaide a touch up. At the time the general feeling was that West Coast would do well to just stay with them and in the end probably gave us the belief to go on and win the flag.

4. Port Adelaide v WCE 2015 R-6.
Beat Port at home, who at the time were seen as a good top 4 team but having a sluggish start to the year-after just missing out on making the gf in 2014. After a decent start to the year we needed a big scalp. A bit of a scrappy game (where I think we won tactically) Ports match winners, Robbie Grey and Chad Wingard were getting loose all game and had kicked pretty much all their goals. To me the last 15 minutes really stood out. Holding a narrow lead Port threw the kitchen sink at us and for the first time in a long time we stood up in 1 on 1s, didn't give away soft frees or turn the ball over while under immense pressure. No doubt this kept PA under pressure with no easy possessions, and didn't allow them to play at their tempo or set up. Our mids actually nullified an opposition midfield. Ports esteemed gut runners didn't get free space to run and carry and our mid size defenders Welingham and Sheppard cut off attack after attack. -- Side note probably cheapened a bit by ports poor year

5. WCE v Fremantle 2015 R-20.
Finally beat Freo after 6 losses in a row :( Is ahead of the 2011 R 8 streak breaking win based on a few facts. This is still fresh in my mind :D, Freo had flogged us with a massive win in round 3 with a blistering 1st quater and 14-3 goals until half time, and we repaid the favour. Freo were a premiership fancy and had finished top 4 for consecutive seasons. We played a great team game in an easy win (I think no one got over 25 possessions??) with Rosa playing his best game for a long time.

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast's five best home and away wins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back