West Gippy Latrobe (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I have heard a rumour not sure of how true it is but anyway.

A man from down the line wrote into the paper asking gippsland power for access to the players that gippsland power turned down from their squad to challenge the actual team of gippsland power. As he believes there are players in power who truely don't deserve to be there.

There has been no response from power. as it would be like Australia Playing australia a in cricket and would look bad on them if the "Rejects" actually had a win. Would be a interesting game if it actually happened, which it won't.

Re: West Gippy Latrobe

A man from down the line wrote into the paper asking gippsland power for access to the players that gippsland power turned down from their squad to challenge the actual team of gippsland power. As he believes there are players in power who truely don't deserve to be there.

There has been no response from power. as it would be like Australia Playing australia a in cricket and would look bad on them if the "Rejects" actually had a win. Would be a interesting game if it actually happened, which it won't.

Don't know if that belongs in this thread. But it gives me hope so I can get my revenge of not making Gippy Powers first 22

They must have really been making the most of the government grant for broadband restricted areas in Dargo. I think 90% of posters in this thread are from Dargo, Dargo Upper or Dargo North. Great to see them getting on board in anticipation of the return to football of the Dargo Stingrays.

They must have really been making the most of the government grant for broadband restricted areas in Dargo. I think 90% of posters in this thread are from Dargo, Dargo Upper or Dargo North. Great to see them getting on board in anticipation of the return to football of the Dargo Stingrays.

II just think these kids are lucky that they no longer have Mike Loax around their school to disable bigfooty.com

haha absolutely no chance of happening and if it did Gippy Power would win by at least 100 points. every year there are kids that are lucky to make it and kids that are stiff not too. but the reality is most of those guys hardly get a game anyway.. a full strength power side would dismantle any "rebel" side made to play them.

as you say though, no chance of happening... maybe there are some players who are "better" than others who made it. but people need to realise it's all about development. A lanky 200cm ex basketballer who has been playing for 2 years and looks promising without any real results will get selected over a 170cm midfielder who has won club best and fairests nearly all the time..

haha absolutely no chance of happening and if it did Gippy Power would win by at least 100 points. every year there are kids that are lucky to make it and kids that are stiff not too. but the reality is most of those guys hardly get a game anyway.. a full strength power side would dismantle any "rebel" side made to play them.

as you say though, no chance of happening... maybe there are some players who are "better" than others who made it. but people need to realise it's all about development. A lanky 200cm ex basketballer who has been playing for 2 years and looks promising without any real results will get selected over a 170cm midfielder who has won club best and fairests nearly all the time..

you can't compare a 200 cm player with a 170 cm player. they totally different mate

A good example is Don Webb circa 1998. Prior to playing Power he had played a couple of games of school footy and that is it. no club footy. He was about 18 foot tall and had potential rather than a history of good footy. Don't see this policy changing

A good example is Don Webb circa 1998. Prior to playing Power he had played a couple of games of school footy and that is it. no club footy. He was about 18 foot tall and had potential rather than a history of good footy. Don't see this policy changing

Wasn't Dean Cox in that same boat?

There are maybe a couple each year that might get in on name only rather than ability ,but usually nowdays Power seem to get their squad to somewhere being the best prospects in the area.A guy like Pendlebury (Scott) for e.g had no real junior football history just basketball for the selectors to go on yet look how he has turned out.There no doubt would've been a lot of guys in his age group who would've dominated junior footy ranks more than Scott and would've felt hard done by when they missed out and he got in.I could'nt see this game if it went ahead being any real contest.

you can't compare a 200 cm player with a 170 cm player. they totally different mate

yes you can. the 170cm midfielder might have dominated junior footy and at the time of the squad being put together he's probably going to be 100 times better than this 200cm bloke, but he's probably basically reached his full potential, whereas this 200cm bloke would have plenty of upside and could be force if given the right coaching. happens all the time

tips for todays games
traralgon over sale 40 points
moe over the guls 35 points
drouin to beat gatha in an upset 30 points
morwell to beat maffra 10 points

There are maybe a couple each year that might get in on name only rather than ability ,but usually nowdays Power seem to get their squad to somewhere being the best prospects in the area.A guy like Pendlebury (Scott) for e.g had no real junior football history just basketball for the selectors to go on yet look how he has turned out.There no doubt would've been a lot of guys in his age group who would've dominated junior footy ranks more than Scott and would've felt hard done by when they missed out and he got in.I could'nt see this game if it went ahead being any real contest.

Agreed. There would have been others upset, but thats the way it turns out, I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To those of you bother to stay up and watch "off the bench" after the footy show on Thursday nights ,has any one noticed how bias it is towards every other hick country league anywhere in Victoria apart from Gippsland.The West Gippy Latrobe barely rates a mention and Gippsland Power is repeatedly overlooked in the TAC wrap up.They give details of games played and who is playing well for every other country TAC team apart from Power.Anyone would think that O&M and Goulburn Valley are the only two major leagues that exist in country Vic.

To those of you bother to stay up and watch "off the bench" after the footy show on Thursday nights ,has any one noticed how bias it is towards every other hick country league anywhere in Victoria apart from Gippsland.The West Gippy Latrobe barely rates a mention and Gippsland Power is repeatedly overlooked in the TAC wrap up.They give details of games played and who is playing well for every other country TAC team apart from Power.Anyone would think that O&M and Goulburn Valley are the only two major leagues that exist in country Vic.

Very little coverage down here in Melbourne of the west gippsland leauge.

My rating of leauges would be
O and M
Goubourne
West Gippsland
Peninsula

Geelong Football Leauge would surely be regarded as a metro leauge??

Also

Can somone give me a wrap of Adrian Burgiel? From what i've read hes been injured lately? Can somone tell me how he is doing and if hes still in form?

Geelong Leagues are most certainly not "metro"..

you're right though, as much as we all love the West Gippy Latrobe it certainly is a few notches below the GFL, O&MFL and Goulbourne league.

still doesn't explain why it's not covered though (especially considering ros lanigan is from Maffra)

Very little coverage down here in Melbourne of the west gippsland leauge.

Can somone give me a wrap of Adrian Burgiel? From what i've read hes been injured lately? Can somone tell me how he is doing and if hes still in form?

Has had a hammy problem - back this week. Ben Batahla will also return this week and hopefully Adams, Costigan and Fish Coleman as well. H. Burgiel, Kade Killoran, Jack Tatterson and Bedggood will be a little longer

Geelong Leagues are most certainly not "metro"..

you're right though, as much as we all love the West Gippy Latrobe it certainly is a few notches below the GFL, O&MFL and Goulbourne league.

still doesn't explain why it's not covered though (especially considering ros lanigan is from Maffra)
Geelong league definitely is country Vic but probably shouldn't be considering the amount of people they have to pick from neither should Mornington Peninsula IMO.

well here's something for ya, "Off The Bench" isn't even shown in Geelong so i don't see why they'd be covering any of our leagues anyway. I'd say a major factor as to why the WGLFL doesn't get a gig on the show is the fact that the media coverage of the league is terrible.. all of the highlights etc. are accompanied with television footage sent in to the show.. is there even any recording done of the West Gippy games?

No footy at sale this weekend ,be interesting to see how the ground ends up after the "one night stand concert" not to mention the clubrooms .They're predicting 20000 people on the oval on Saturday.

No footy at sale this weekend ,be interesting to see how the ground ends up after the "one night stand concert" not to mention the clubrooms .They're predicting 20000 people on the oval on Saturday.

if it rains the ground will get absolutley stuffed n no one will be able 2 play on it for like 6 weeks.

The club rooms? Are they using the toilets in the clubrooms? If not, I wouldn't see any reason that they would be open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back