West Indies Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a fair point but their guys aren’t in nearly as much demand as most of the Windies guys.

Of the Bangladesh regulars Shakib and maybe Liton Das would probably be walk-ups to any franchise league, I am really not sure as decent as they are at ODI level whether the likes of Williams and Ervine from Zimbabwe would be in high demand. Sikanda Raza would be a gun in most leagues I think.

So while I can’t really prove this I suspect that a lot of the time with both those teams, they’re not ‘avoiding’ having their players unavailable because they probably aren’t that likely to feature.

From a BBL perspective how many of them do you think would have been attractive to the Aussie franchises in the last decade? Not a lot.
Meanwhile we’ve had Gayle, Bravo, Pollard, Russell, Pooran, Holder, Roach, Carlos Brathwaite, Andre Fletcher, Keemo Paul, Lendl Simmons etc etc.

Essentially, there are a lot more West Indies players having to make that choice.
I agree

The West Indies have more talent than those teams Afg, Zim, Ban etc but there problem is getting their best XI on to the park and converting it into performances IMO

The token big hitting West Indian that is used as a finisher has now gone out of favour with the IPL, Pollard and DJ stayed way too long. And there was a mass exodus/delisting for IPL 2023. The Caribbean podcast covered this

Hopefully they only pull specialty players like Pooran and Akeal that have more of a purpose than being the token player to the IPL, so that this younger generation don't defect to T20 circuits and stay in the West Indies.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

West Indies Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back