Western Bears

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought I would start a thread for the incoming expansion team. I was a mad Norths fan growing up and though I adopted the Bulldogs as my team when the Bears were expelled (**** Manly) really haven't followed the NRL closely since. This has me excited though.

I just hope that they have a strong North Sydney vibe coming through and not just a token acknowledgment like the Brisbane Lions and Fitzroy. A couple of games at North Sydney Oval every year would be awesome.

Who knows? We may even break our premiership drought which has lasted since 1922. St. Kilda has nothing on us.

Is it going to be the same club as the one that last played NRL in 1999 (similar to how the Cleveland Browns came back as the same club in the NFL after an absence when the old club moved to Baltimore) or are they just using the Bears name?

I've always had a soft spot for the North Sydney Bears, I had a great Uncle who was a lifelong Bears supporter and was not only old enough to remember their only two Premierships in 1921 and 1922, but he was also able to attend the 1922 GF. He was diagnosed with lung cancer in 1995, but continued to fight on for a number of years because Norths had a strong team and he was hopeful of seeing them reach another Grand Final. Unfortunately, Preliminary Final appearences in 1996 and 1997 was a s close as they got. He passed away in 1999, and I think it was only a few weeks after it was announced that Norths would merge with the hated Manly.

It would great to see the Bears back and hopefully they bring back their "traditional" jersey, it was one of the most unique looking jerseys with unusual stripes/square pattern at the top.

1724237597563.png

And let's be honest, it's one of the few times Red and Black has looked good together. At least in Australian sport. :)

Last edited:

Is it going to be the same club as the one that last played NRL in 1999 (similar to how the Cleveland Browns came back as the same club in the NFL after an absence when the old club moved to Baltimore) or are they just using the Bears name?
That's my worry. Hopefully there will still be an obvious North Sydney link. A few games at North Sydney Oval, wearing the retro jumper some games. I will be disappointed if they are the Bears in name only.

I've always had a soft spot for the North Sydney Bears, I had a great Unkle who was a lifelong Bears supporter and was not only old enough to remember their only two Premierships in 1921 and 1922, but he was also able to attend the 1922 GF. He was diagnosed with lung cancer in 1995, but continued to fight on for a number of years because Norths had a strong team and he was hopeful of seeing them reach another Grand Final. Unfortunately, Preliminary Final appearences in 1996 and 1997 was a s close as they got. He passed away in 1999, and I think it was only a few weeks after it was announced that Norths would merge with the hated Manly.

It would great to see the Bears back and hopefully they bring back their "traditional" jersey, it was one of the most unique looking jerseys with unusual stripes/square pattern at the top.

View attachment 2086807

And let's be honest, it's one of the few times Red and Black has looked good together. At least in Australian sport. :)

I had that jumper in the picture. Lost it somehow in one of my many moves.

We made quite a few prelims in the 90s. 91, 94, 95, 96, 97. Just couldn't get to the big one. 96 was devastating for me. The Bears and the Bombers both lost their prelims. And I went to both games because the Bears game was at the Sydney Football Stadium followed by the Bombers game at the SCG. The Bears were warm favourites for their prelim too. Soul crushing. The Bears colours were what made me become an Essendon fan. Best sporting colours in the country!

I was going to say the world but that would mean I would have to be an Atlanta Falcons fan. Eeeww.
September 4 2004 - My 33rd birthday and Essendon's last finals victory. At least the Falcons have won a final in the last 20 years. In fact, they have won 4. Should be 5. :( :(

I wonder if I'll reach my 73rd before Essendon win their next. ;)

September 4 2004 - My 33rd birthday and Essendon's last finals victory. At least the Falcons have won a final in the last 20 years. In fact, they have won 4. Should be 5. :( :(

I wonder if I'll reach my 73rd before Essendon win their next. ;)
The way North are going it will be your 73rd before they do. ;)

The way North are going it will be your 73rd before they do. ;)
I'm confident we'll win a final before Essendon, we don't have Brad Scott for a coach anymore which is a big positive we have going for us.

Anyway, back to the Bears, when are we expecting an announcement that they will be the 18th team?

Is there an appetite for rugby league team in Perth?
Yes, but I hate the fact that they brought an extinct team with them to sure up the bid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am strongly considering swapping to the Bears.

North Sydney were the first team I loved as a kid but changed to Newcastle when they were kicked out of the comp.

I haven't been up to see Newcastle play in years now and have felt the emotional pull to the club waning for some time. The Bears coming back seems like perfect timing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bears

Remove this Banner Ad

Back