Western Bears

Remove this Banner Ad

I had that jumper in the picture. Lost it somehow in one of my many moves.

We made quite a few prelims in the 90s. 91, 94, 95, 96, 97. Just couldn't get to the big one. 96 was devastating for me. The Bears and the Bombers both lost their prelims. And I went to both games because the Bears game was at the Sydney Football Stadium followed by the Bombers game at the SCG. The Bears were warm favourites for their prelim too. Soul crushing. The Bears colours were what made me become an Essendon fan. Best sporting colours in the country!
I remember that day/night in ‘96 well, I was also at both games but was supporting the Bears and the Swans. Tough afternoon for me was well and truly made with an iconic prelim victory for the Swans.

Lifelong Bears fan it’ll be a shame if this Western Bears bid falls through (though deep down I did not fully believe it was the best fit for both Perth and Bears fans). Norths were well and truly shafted by Manly and the NRL, and I’ve never been able to support another NRL team apart from the Bears’ NSW Cup side.

Western Bears’ expansion bid rejected as shock NRL call blows expansion race wide open :(

Western Bears’ expansion bid rejected as shock NRL call blows expansion race wide open​

October 8th, 2024 5:33 pm

The Western Bears’ bid to join the NRL has been rejected by ARLC boss Peter V’landys in a move that could send shockwaves through the expansion landscape.

That is according to The Daily Telegraph, who are reporting NRL bosses are considering starting, owning and operating their own Western Australian franchise.

The Western Bears are a joint bid started by a Perth consortium and North Sydney, with backing by the Western Australian government.

However, V’landys has now made it clear their bid could be unsuccessful after falling short in their bid document when it came to the NRL’s financial requirements.

The ARL Commission reportedly have concerns around the Western Bears’ multimillion-dollar licence fee.

The expansion group will reportedly hold urgent talks to revive their expansion push, however major changes will reportedly need to be made to their proposal.

“The bid that the consortium has put in has been rejected. We will still deal with the Western Australian government to try and resuscitate the bid,” V’landys said.

“The bid that they put in was significantly short. No bid team can take the expansion process for granted.

“I have made this clear from day one. We will only expand if there is a firm business case and at the moment Perth’s business case doesn’t stack up.

“If we can’t stack it up I can’t take it to the members for consideration.

“All I will say their bid is extremely short. I will have more talks with the WA government, but not necessarily the current consortium.”

NRL powerbrokers reportedly want the Bears to be involved if they do move forward with their own expansion plans.

WA Government officials were reportedly informed the consortium’s bid failed during the grand final, while PNG’s push to join the NRL is growing stronger.

PNG Prime Minister James Marape attended Sunday’s clash and met with Anthony Albanese and NRL powerbrokers.

“I am happy with the progress so far,” Marape said.

“There are a few more regulatory processes to complete before an official announcement can be made, but the future is looking bright for our national team.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bears

Remove this Banner Ad

Back