Western Border Football League - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Which teams have recruited well? Who has arrived where?
Who has lost key players?
Which teams will be the big movers this year up & down the ladder?
Grand finalists & Premiership side & margin?
League BnF?
Goal Kicking & how many?
Wooden Spooners?

Hi Vivacious (hopefully you are a woman;))
It is hard to tell how all the recruitment side of things have gone, a lot of player movement has taken place but the quality is not yet apparent imo.
http://www.wbfl.com.au/page_if.php?p=19 is alink to the site that lists all the movement.
Millicent have picked Byron Pickett for what it is worth??
North South and West have had a lot of player movement with South losing J Copping.
West have seen the return of J Ryan either he or J McConnel will kick a lot of goals imo.
BnF anybodies guess atm so many unknowns so far imo.
I dont see much changing in the way the ladder will finish this year with North being the team to beat imo.
Wooden spoon either to Casterton or East, Casterton has a lot of player movement all unknown to me if they have gained some good players things could be a bit different!

Hey Klem22 nah not a member of the fairer sex lol
Not too many people posting on this thread so of the others i'm following have a new page of posts at least daily!
Thoughts on the standard? Has it changed now with the smaller comp?

Tips for Round 1????
Casterton V Millicent
North V East
West V South

I'm going with
North as my shoe in!
South to beat west
And Casterton at home as my roughie for the week!

Tips for Round 1????
Casterton V Millicent
North V East
West V South
All home game winners imo. Except for West.
It is to early to judge on the standard of footy now there are only 6 teams in WBFL. IMO we have been going down hill for a long time
It is hard to see any major improvement the league is quickly becoming irrelevant. No interleague anymore and players tending
to leave for money elsewhere. Whether the smaller number of clubs to service in the region might see a concentration of
players bolster local stocks remains to be seen.

Since the early 90's steady decline i've heard, having said this it is a different game today than then!
IMO the stagnation of the growth/decline in population the Vic side of the border hasn't helped & now with the exit of all vic teams bar 1 makes it really tough to see a revival!
IMO a SA & VIC conference comp i.e. south west & mid south east, becoming SA & VIC Div 2 conference but the premiership side from each moving up into Western Border DIV 1 & bottom ViC & bottom SA side moving dowing into their respective state league! I feel this would have strengthened footy in the whole region so so much! I still feel it may be achieveable to some degree with just MSE & WBFL being div 1 & div 2!
Thoughts?

Bad move by the saints recruiting travis wilson into the club. Byron Picket doesn't look fit and I cant see why a club would spend this sort of money on a player and not recruit locally

Bad move by the saints recruiting travis wilson into the club. Byron Picket doesn't look fit and I cant see why a club would spend this sort of money on a player and not recruit locally

Saints recruited two from the burr which I believe they have lost to adelaide. I know they offered scott gamble from mt burr $600 a game whom I know little about.

Picket is named on the centre wing could be worn out before the first bounce;)
Money is the biggest issue amongst the league's here there is not enough to go around unfortunately what is available is not used that well and often does more harm than good.:confused:

Whats wrong with Travis Wilson? Apart from recruiting him last year and he didnt play a game

3 from 3 Klemm22 thats good tipping right there!
Little early to call finals contenders Chris Mac? Millicent had more scoring shots but couldn't convert by the look of things!
The Tigers thumped East!!! East boys will be looking to hit back this week you'd think so tough game again for the Cats!
Undoubtably match of the Round North Vs South at Vansittart Park HUUGGGEEE GAME :) whats the latest here? who is everyone tipping?
Millicent Vs West will be very interesting West were quite competitive with South & the Millicent Casterton game was quite low scoring another hard one to tip!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 from 3 Klemm22 thats good tipping right there!
Little early to call finals contenders Chris Mac? Millicent had more scoring shots but couldn't convert by the look of things!
The Tigers thumped East!!! East boys will be looking to hit back this week you'd think so tough game again for the Cats!
Undoubtably match of the Round North Vs South at Vansittart Park HUUGGGEEE GAME :) whats the latest here? who is everyone tipping?
Millicent Vs West will be very interesting West were quite competitive with South & the Millicent Casterton game was quite low scoring another hard one to tip!

Didn't say the Cats are finals contenders, just saying it would be fantastic if Casterton can push for finals this year. Don't know if they are good enough yet, but 1-0 is better than 0-1
Stand corrected, well done to the Under 15 boys too.

Didn't say Cats are finals contenders, just saying it would be fantastic if Casterton can push for finals this year. Don't know if they are good enough yet, but 1-0 is better than 0-1

It sounds like casterton has alot more depth this year. Where's the club at with merger talks with Sandford...is it still a possibility?

Didn't say the Cats are finals contenders, just saying it would be fantastic if Casterton can push for finals this year. Don't know if they are good enough yet, but 1-0 is better than 0-1

Yeh sorry Chris Mac last post was poorly worded I meant contenders to make finals!
Does anyone think that having one of or both MSE & KNTFL as Div 2 WBFL with the winners of each flag pushing up & bottom sides relegated a good idea?
IMO it would make all leagues much stronger as clubs would undoubtably want to get to Div 1 & stay! Thoughts?

Yeh sorry Chris Mac last post was poorly worded I meant contenders to make finals!
Does anyone think that having one of or both MSE & KNTFL as Div 2 WBFL with the winners of each flag pushing up & bottom sides relegated a good idea?
IMO it would make all leagues much stronger as clubs would undoubtably want to get to Div 1 & stay! Thoughts?

I think it would be a good idea having a division2 up and running but to get those leagues interested in the WBFL would be an impossible job imo.
Money is always the key to football as i understand MSE & KNTFL dont have the money problems that the WBFL have!

Went to see the last half of North V East
I think even North supporters were demoralised by the quality of the opposition.
A huge mistake in getting Carmen to coach East imo.
I notice that a young ruckman who signed with East during the off season took one look at what was happening and sought a clearance straight away to South where he played a strong role in Souths A grade side. Players when they realize what is going on there are just walking away from this crowd, now East are left with barely B graders playing for them.
Surely they will finish bottom!

Went to see the last half of North V East
I think even North supporters were demoralised by the quality of the opposition.
A huge mistake in getting Carmen to coach East imo.
I notice that a young ruckman who signed with East during the off season took one look at what was happening and sought a clearance straight away to South where he played a strong role in Souths A grade side. Players when they realize what is going on there are just walking away from this crowd, now East are left with barely B graders playing for them.
Surely they will finish bottom!
Klemm as a past player of many years ago I still follow what's happening there, when I was playing East were a power house, what has happened since then is it admin, money culture can you give me a briefing

Hi cleanhands
As a longtime supporter but never been involved with the club i can only offer an outside opinion.
There would be a number of reasons why East have deteriorated into a nothing club but i dont think you can go past administration and the leadership at the club. East no longer has the respect it once had even though there have been attempts to lift the club. The club fell apart after its last grand final loss against South which it was expected to win but was poorly coached in. After that loss on GF night there was a lot of internal hostility that led to brawls amongst the players seeing 3/4 of the playing group walk out disillusioned and fed up with the lack of success. IMO the club has not recovered since then continually losing its better players to surrounding clubs until now they can barely field a B grade outfit. The current admin does not seem to be capable of running the club, whether they are broke and cant afford to attract players or it is the reputation of the club that has players not interested in coming it is hard to tell but there are clearly huge problems there. There latest appointment Phil Carmen imo was a big mistake, high profile person but no talent to coach?? I dont know what made him accept the job it must have been the money offered! Unless he has a long term vision and is capable of turning things around which i doubt very much. So East continue in the cycle of bringing up their juniors exposing them to the brutality of bigger better players until they become beaten disillusioned and leave the club, that has been the cycle for years now. A club that is going no where fast and has simply become a boys club for those at the top.

Thanks Klemm
Sorry might have sounded like a past player from East which is not the case,but had a lot of respect for East when played against them. Might be a case of more people getting involved, put some sort of business plan together, football programme together and good people in the right positions to control it, all on the same page, won't be an easy task by the sound of it but good luck to them hope they can get it together, roll their sleeves up and be prepared for the grind

The way I understand it is the kntfl and mid se are under review, wbfl was done last year. We've seen some changes in the wbfl so you would expect some changes with these other leagues. Mount Gambier is the major population centre so it is highly likely things will change. I think penola will join.

51 point win to North over South the gap appears to be greater than i thought and these teams are my tip to play off in the grand final, while things can change it is not good imo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Border Football League - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back