Western Border Football League - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club has handled it well regarding Gascoyne & Egan, whilst the incident is still under investigation the club is being supportive and behind the two mentioned.
The coach would be some what happy as he wanted turn around the disasterous loss too south in round two to be 5-1 at the interleague break. On last yr's ladder completion they've beaten 3 outta the 5 finalists.....West have beaten less, heywood have obviously passed there first test (beaten North) and play millicent (away) south (presuming @ hywd).
The next 5 weeks will be interesting in shaping the rest of the season.

jarrod ryan is a hot head on the field .....simple, but in the his defence he is a quality player and does cop some pretty decent attention as most good players do.
whats this crap about all these d$%^heads in portland involved in this IMAGE gang, bunch of tools if u ask me... if thats true what goes around comes around
He is small but plays tall & cops heaps every week targeted all the time he will need the 4 weeks off to mend his 2 broken ribs he got when kicked in them while unconcious on the ground. Football is the loser in this.

He is small but plays tall & cops heaps every week targeted all the time he will need the 4 weeks off to mend his 2 broken ribs he got when kicked in them while unconcious on the ground. Football is the loser in this.
Are people saying Ryan was unconcious in the Portland game? The Ryan I saw walked off fine after the incident.

Are people saying Ryan was unconcious in the Portland game? The Ryan I saw walked off fine after the incident.
He actually was unconcious, hense the reason he didnt come back on the ground! Did take a while to get up off the ground. Haven't u ever been unconcious and walk off or u never played footy!!

He actually was unconcious, hense the reason he didnt come back on the ground! Did take a while to get up off the ground. Haven't u ever been unconcious and walk off or u never played footy!!
I'll take your word for it. Moved pretty quickly towards the changerooms. Thought he might have been more worried about something else. And yes I have played footy.

I saw the Heywood v North game on my return back from Warnambool and what I saw was a good game of country football with players having a real good go and both sides should be proud of the way they played. But the disappointment to me was the umpiring as they seemed to scared or imtimidated by the presence of the Ex AFL players as there was a number of obivious free kicks that should have been given against them but were`nt given, the umpires semmed confused about what is a 50m penalty and were being told by certain players what is 50m. It was a shame that the two blocks in the middle spoilt what was a fantastic game. And no I don`t follow North or Heywood just love watching football, and before any say`s I am umpiring bashing I am 62 years old and was a central umpire for a number of years and before that played the game. And congratulations to heywood for what looks like a pretty good team they have on park this year.

I'll take your word for it. Moved pretty quickly towards the changerooms. Thought he might have been more worried about something else. And yes I have played footy.
The something else was his breathing and his broken ribs, apart from the concussion.:thumbsdown:

the massive article in todays portland observer with winis imbi confirms he is the biggest sook in the wbfl.

the massive article in todays portland observer with winis imbi confirms he is the biggest sook in the wbfl.

How about someone knocks out 6 of your best pearly whites, and lets see how responsive your coach is when the perp gets 4 weeks from it.
Dont stick your head in the sand, maybe Imbi has a point?

Just read the Winis Imbi article in the Portland Observer. Let me just say this.....Winis is one of the most respected people on and off the footy field. For him to say what he did people should sit up and take notice.

The something else was his breathing and his broken ribs, apart from the concussion.:thumbsdown:
Tell me if he was in such a bad way why did he go up to the rooms in the last quarter(he was sent off in the third quarter) alone...no trainer..no one.

That is just a stupid thing to say. I think Imbi has every right to say what he did. For West to be able to take into the tribunal a mobile phone photo of Ryan on the ground but Portland couldn't take actual photographs of O'brien in hospital is utter bull s..t.
Good on him for speaking out and sticking up for his playing group, who are obviously concerned.
If it was one of your players with sickening facial injuries, I'm sure you wouldn't be happy about it and you definately wouldn't keep quiet either.

How about someone knocks out 6 of your best pearly whites, and lets see how responsive your coach is when the perp gets 4 weeks from it.
Dont stick your head in the sand, maybe Imbi has a point?

i must admit i do agree with winis on the issue of the light sentence that was handed to ryan.
but to come out and have a crack at the league and the umpires has to be looked at. coaches in the afl would be in serious trouble if they come out saying this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell me if he was in such a bad way why did he go up to the rooms in the last quarter(he was sent off in the third quarter) alone...no trainer..no one.
Well i guess he had to be attended by trainers on the bench firstly after walking off the ground groggy, and then had to get away from all the noise etc.. I'm pretty sure a trainer went and sat by his side during all of the 4th quater though didn't walk up to the rooms with him. Just wondering if grug (Winis) saw the incident or is speaking on the story's and injuries O'brien recieved? Did O'brien wear a mouthguard? Don't know how many people have had teeth knocked out not wearing one. All the stuff about the tribunal is out of everyone's hands, and also depending on the evidence given.

Well i guess he had to be attended by trainers on the bench firstly after walking off the ground groggy, and then had to get away from all the noise etc.. I'm pretty sure a trainer went and sat by his side during all of the 4th quater though didn't walk up to the rooms with him. Just wondering if grug (Winis) saw the incident or is speaking on the story's and injuries O'brien recieved? Did O'brien wear a mouthguard? Don't know how many people have had teeth knocked out not wearing one. All the stuff about the tribunal is out of everyone's hands, and also depending on the evidence given.

If O'Brien lost his teeth in a marking contest, head clash or tackle and wasn't wearing a mouth guard I would understand your point, but he was elbowed in the face behind play by a bloke who ran him down. Are you suggesting that if a bloke is not wearing a mouth guard anything goes in terms of contact to their face and it is their fault for not wearing protection? Have a think about it champion. The big issue is the action, not the outcome. I hope like hell there are not too many blokes with your mentality still playing in this league, because if there are we are running the risk of taking the last couple of steps to becoming a thug minor bush league.

You are kidding?? Winis never says a bad word about anyone, so for him to speak out like this shows how incompetent the Western Border and it's tribunal are.
Your a Heywood supporter and you call him a sook, why have Heywood tried to throw thousands of dollars at him and his brother for so many years???

I see in todays Warrnambool Standard that the best player in the WBFL has finally been punished for being the thug he is off the footy field. http://www.standard.net.au/news/loc...e-teacher-sentenced-over-assault/1833444.aspx

He is one of the greatest players of recent times to play in the WBFL but off the field he is a completely different person one who can not handle alcohol or drugs to well. He is going to learn the hard way and hopefully after his jail time he comes out a better person.

You are kidding?? Winis never says a bad word about anyone, so for him to speak out like this shows how incompetent the Western Border and it's tribunal are.
Your a Heywood supporter and you call him a sook, why have Heywood tried to throw thousands of dollars at him and his brother for so many years???

Winnis Imbi is probably the most respected player and coach in the league. When he speaks out about the WBFL he is right. The league has been poorly run for many years, which all started with too many Mt Gambier people thinking they knew everything. The league needed to set an example in this case and they didnt. Now players know they can go around smack an opposition players teeth out and probably get 4 weeks as this case has set a precident for similar incidents. The WBFL is meant to be professionally run with a full time CEO (who is pretty lazy and incompedent).

Winnis Imbi is probably the most respected player and coach in the league. When he speaks out about the WBFL he is right. The league has been poorly run for many years, which all started with too many Mt Gambier people thinking they knew everything. The league needed to set an example in this case and they didnt. Now players know they can go around smack an opposition players teeth out and probably get 4 weeks as this case has set a precident for similar incidents. The WBFL is meant to be professionally run with a full time CEO (who is pretty lazy and incompedent).

I agree with the sentiment behind Winis' argument, but I am not sure in terms of the attack on the league in regards to the tribunal and Ryan that he is aiming his anger in the right direction. I don't know that it is neccesarily the league's fault, or the CEO's fault, that BOTH Ryan and Hockley's suspensions were too light. Maybe the league could have called for an investigation or a re-hearing, but to an extent publicly you do have to back your tribunal panel. What happens from now is where the league has some real control. I do believe league's should have an interest in how their competition is being governed by umpires and tribunals and if the standards do not match their expectations they are not only entitled but I would say obligated to ask why. The tribunals in recent years, probably since the 16-weeks and out rule came in, have generally been quite light, although at times inconsistent. The level of violence in football has generally reduced over the past 20 years, we need to remember that, but that is no reason to not want to try and continue to clean up the behind the play incidents that go outside the spirit of good, hard fair play.
The umpires did the right thing on this occasion and reported both players for some pretty poor behaviour on the field. If we can get the umpires to continue to report players for striking instead of just yellow carding them, which has been the case a number of times in recent years, it should go a long way towards cleaning the game up further. Perhaps the league now can talk with its umpiring bodies about what its expectations are in regards to striking incidents and behind the play violence and also discuss with the tribunal panel it appoints what its expectations are in regards to penalties for players who play outside the acceptable expectations of fair play. The one area where it sounds like Winis may have concerns is if he and his club are seeking answers from the league or umpires and are not getting responses, although David Heard did say in that article that Portland had received a response, so someone there is either not telling the truth or is not well informed by their own party.

If O'Brien lost his teeth in a marking contest, head clash or tackle and wasn't wearing a mouth guard I would understand your point, but he was elbowed in the face behind play by a bloke who ran him down. Are you suggesting that if a bloke is not wearing a mouth guard anything goes in terms of contact to their face and it is their fault for not wearing protection? Have a think about it champion. The big issue is the action, not the outcome. I hope like hell there are not too many blokes with your mentality still playing in this league, because if there are we are running the risk of taking the last couple of steps to becoming a thug minor bush league.
I undersand your valid point as well, but i do believe all players should be made to play with one, and for his own sake may not have had to gone through so much, though that is not the point. We will become a minor league if we don't win this weekend with the interleague clash. And with certain coaches telling their players not to play well we are a long way off, getting back up there to become a good league in Vic country footy.

I undersand your valid point as well, but i do believe all players should be made to play with one, and for his own sake may not have had to gone through so much, though that is not the point. We will become a minor league if we don't win this weekend with the interleague clash. And with certain coaches telling their players not to play well we are a long way off, getting back up there to become a good league in Vic country footy.

Forget interleague. If our comp condones this, no good players will come to this league and it will always be known as a thug, hack league.
Get rid of the scum and the WBFL will prosper.

I dont think thats sooking....

I have heard marcus england is out of jail....any truth to this rumor and will he be able to play footy if he is out?????

I have heard marcus england is out of jail....any truth to this rumor and will he be able to play footy if he is out?????

He has appealed against his sentence believing the judge was against him from the start. He is gulty as and deserves to be behind bars. Hopefully he gets a bit of a taste of his own medicine when he finally ends up behind bars he is a thug.

agreed, have heard he is not a popular person in portland. What goes around comes around as they say
will he be able to travel to SA as he may be not able to leave VIC since he is out on bail????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back