Analysis Western Bulldogs 2024 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

DiamondDogs8 pair of picks for the Saints
With Pick 9 St Kilda select Harvey Langford, joint-Larke Medallist and big bodied midfielder from Vic Country and the Dandenong Stingrays. Whilst not blessed with blistering speed, Langford is a powerful runner and strong overhead.

Harvey’s physical traits allow him to impact in the forward half of the ground, showing he is capable of hitting the scoreboard throughout his top age year.

Touted by many as a top 5 prospect, the Saints pounce and take him with their first pick, adding a top talent to an area of the ground they have actively been trying to improve.

With Pick 10, St Kilda bid on Isaac Kako, exciting small forward and Essendon NGA prospect.

With Pick 9 St Kilda select Harvey Langford, joint-Larke Medallist and big bodied midfielder from Vic Country and the Dandenong Stingrays. Whilst not blessed with blistering speed, Langford is a powerful runner and strong overhead.

Harvey’s physical traits allow him to impact in the forward half of the ground, showing he is capable of hitting the scoreboard throughout his top age year.

Touted by many as a top 5 prospect, the Saints pounce and take him with their first pick, adding a top talent to an area of the ground they have actively been trying to improve.

With Pick 10, St Kilda bid on Isaac Kako, exciting small forward and Essendon NGA prospect.
Essendon will match.

I think it's pick 29 with pick 62 coming back as change.

Last edited:

(Just kidding)

With Pick 11, St Kilda select Tobie Travaglia, intercepting defender from Bendigo Pioneers and Vic Country. Possessing line breaking speed off half back with potential to push onto a wing, Travaglia is one of the best kicks in the draft.

A couple of home run picks by the Sainters who are pleased with the way the draft has run out thus far.

Pick 7 Melbourne:
Josh Smillie, Eastern Ranges FC

His under age year had him touted to go No 1 this year, but has drifted due to others rising over the last 12 months.

A big bodied mid in the Bontempelli mould. Good hands, clean skills and can play along other lines.

Although Melbourne have a strong midfield currently, question marks still sit over both Oliver and Petracca’s future, and so bringing in someone of Smillies ability, and physical attributes is a no brainer. Too good to pass on at 7.

All yours DiamondDogs8
You're up again my man

Pick 10 - Melbourne Football Club
Harry Armstrong, Sandringham Dragons FC.

Considering Melbourne list imbalance forward of centre, Harry Armstrong pretty much picks himself.

Not an over big, dominant forward, he makes that up with his athleticism and ability to get on the scoreboard even when having a quiet week.

Back to back to back bags of 4+ goals later in the year means he’s trending strongly in the right direction, with a heap of improvement still to come.

A set and forget type selection for the Dees. They’d have to be very happy Harry’s onboard.

Pick 13 - Richmond - Bo Allan
Peel Thunder, 190cm Midfielder/Defender

I was hoping Armstrong would make it through to this pick. With a gap to the next key position talent, I’m going best available, which was a close choice between two. Allan won out. His combination of size, athleticism, ball winning and defensive intent is too good to pass up. Was a stand out for Peel Colts and WA and gave a good account of himself in the WAFL seniors.

Arguably, he could be a bit of a boom or bust prospect, as he isn’t as much of a natural midfielder as the others in the top group and may have a bigger gap to close to become an elite mid at the next level. But as with my previous two picks, he has a secondary position that he can develop and likely play in from next year, and perhaps excel in down the road: medium defender. With Vlastuin and Broad the wrong side of 30 and Grimes retired, he could play a fair bit of footy at half back and wing from next year.

IMG_3935.jpeg

Hoges64

Last edited:
Pick 13 - Richmond - Bo Allan
Peel Thunder, 190cm Midfielder/Defender

I was hoping Armstrong would make it through to this pick. With a gap to the next key position talent, I’m going best available, which was a close choice between two. Allan won out. His combination of size, athleticism, ball winning and defensive intent is too good to pass up. Was a stand out for Peel Colts and WA and gave a good account of himself in the WAFL seniors.

Arguably, he could be a bit of a boom or bust prospect, as he isn’t as much of a natural midfielder as the others in the top group and may have a bigger gap to close to become an elite mid at the next level. But as with my previous two picks, he has a secondary position that he can develop and likely play in from next year, and perhaps excel in down the road: medium defender. With Vlastuin and Broad the wrong side of 30 and Grimes retired, he could play a fair bit of footy at half back and wing from next year.

View attachment 2152296

Hoges64

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(Just kidding)

With Pick 11, St Kilda select Tobie Travaglia, intercepting defender from Bendigo Pioneers and Vic Country. Possessing line breaking speed off half back with potential to push onto a wing, Travaglia is one of the best kicks in the draft.

A couple of home run picks by the Sainters who are pleased with the way the draft has run out thus far.
The Saints love him apparently.

In all honesty, if I were North at this stage I'd maybe check to see if GWS were interested in trading 14 and something, (maybe a F2?) for 20 & 21, as I really don't think North need ANOTHER midfielder, and the Key Forward they should be looking at to partner Larkey is a reach at this pick, but for the sake of this draft for Murphy Reid to slide this far they'd be mad not to take him.

Murphy Reid
height: 180cm
D.O.B: 30-07-2006

STRENGTHS:

• Class
  • Decision making
  • Handballing
  • Poise
  • Running capacity
  • Scoreboard impact

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Explosive speed
  • Size

Reid is an incredibly poised user of the ball, proving efficient in both his decision making and execution. While not blessed with explosive speed, he is fleet of thought and can either use deft feints to relieve pressure or find teammates with creative disposal by hand and foot. He simply plays at a different tempo to others, and has some of the sharpest skills going around. Few can match him for impact per possession.

Along with sound fundamentals, Reid's ease in finding possessions comes on the back of a strong running base. He can rack up the ball both at and away from the contest, leaning on an enormous footy IQ to work into the right spots and hurt the opposition during attacking phases. It was a theme throughout Sandringham's engine room this year - players who could manufacture clean stoppage exits and punish sides on the spread.

Being reliable from week to week and impacting games consistently are factors which make top five prospects safe selections. Reid does both. He fulfilled team roles up forward and on the wing among high quality squads, but also took his chance when utilised as a midfielder to showcase his dependability. His only Coates Talent League performance under 21 disposals was the Grand Final, which he exited in the third quarter.

Only compounding Reid's hurt factor is his ability to hit the scoreboard prolifically. He bagged goals in six of nine outings for Sandringham this season, while also averaging a goal per game with Vic Metro. Among his best hauls were back-to-back efforts of three in Wildcard Round and the quarter finals, along with an identical haul against SA in the National Championships. He also had 25 disposals or more in each of those games.

Reid did well later in the season to add some run-and-carry to his game, venturing on forays which connected the field. His leg speed is not quite elite, though he nearly pipped the three-second mark for the preseason 20-metre sprint. Adding an element of explosiveness and strength is perhaps the bridge between translating his game as a full-time midfielder at the top level. Still, Reid's junior exploits in said role have been exemplary.

Another element Reid can look to enhance is his defensive output. He thrives with ball in hand, and more defensive minded midfielders will allow his strengths to shine, but he can certainly chase, transition and tackle with more intent. That, and his toned down tempo are part of the reason why perhaps he'll have to establish himself outside of the on-ball group at the elite level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Western Bulldogs 2024 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back