Western Oval memories

Remove this Banner Ad

I might be wrong but I think the Doug Hawkins Wing was on the other side

You're not wrong. I was responding to Leon's question "Where did everyone sit or stand at the Whitten Oval? "

Where did everyone sit or stand at the Whitten Oval?

I was lucky enough to watch some games from the Whitten Stand in the early 90’s.

When we stood we were generally on the half forward line of the Doug Hawkins Wing towards the Barkly Street End.

Sat in the Gent Stand once with Dad, made a flogger for the occasion to
I think it might have been Footcray v Essendon, Don McKenzie v Barry Round, not 100% sure
I was lucky enough to see Whitten play
Sat in Whitten stand a lot
I was there the day Hudson ran down Welsh then kicked a goal
Unfortunately I was there the day Neil Sachse went down
Stood mainly on the Gent side with friends and family
85 mainly half forward Hawkins side Geelong road end with the in-laws, that was different
The in-laws where big drinks and wiped me out, glad when the 2 tiny rule came in
Another rule I had was only start drinking after 1/2 time
Last game, seats in front of the Gent Stand, got soaked, however the Brazilian dances were great
Hot start great game
I regret not going to the Hawkins / Whitten game, but such is life
One thing I remember as a kid was going to the loo, talk about under pressure

Overall fond memories

The Peanut Man's story is a fascinating read which brings back many great memories. Here's the link to his story:

Thanks much appreciated

About where the man with the white jumper turning his head is :D

View attachment 1151517

I used stand about 50 yards (correct terminology in those days) to right of the guy in white turning his head with my Dad. Some of his favourite sayings were ball up you white maggot and if there was a dogs player going badly he would say would not get a kick locked up in Jack Holts (a well known horse trainer of the time) stable all night.

Last edited:
Where did everyone sit or stand at the Whitten Oval?

I was lucky enough to watch some games from the Whitten Stand in the early 90’s.

When we stood we were generally on the half forward line of the Doug Hawkins Wing towards the Barkly Street End.
Where the Training facility is now. Forward pocket Barkley Street end.

Longest kick ever at the Whitten Oval I saw was Matthew Campbell from the Brisbane Bears.

Centre Wing, members side kicking towards the Geelong road end, nailed a torpedoe with the wind. Its the longest kick I have ever seen live or on tv.

Anyone else remember it. I tried looking for it on you tube. Would love to see it again.
Yep remember it well. Massive kick.

Last H&A game of ‘92. Don’t think it will be found based on the lack of popularity of Brisbane Bears in the early 90’s, and they just had the one camera at game there probably.

Yep remember it well. Massive kick.

Last H&A game of ‘92. Don’t think it will be found based on the lack of popularity of Brisbane Bears in the early 90’s, and they just had the one camera at game there probably.

Our 1992 Season Highlights - Diamond Dogs - is on YouTube and I watched during the lockdown last year.

It’s quite good but some of the games are actually missing from it, they just show the final scores and Doug Hawkins talking about the game.

A bit annoying really. I’m not sure every game in those days actually had a TV telecast.

Love that photo Chicago1
One of my favourite memories of that day was waiting at Flinders Street Station after the match for our train to Box Hill. A train rolled up from Glen Waverley packed with Collingwood supporters after their win at VFL Park. Scared the crap out of my parents!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't go to many games at WO, was pretty young when we stopped playing there but I remember we used to stand on a fence behind the barkley street goals and hold on to a dry area sign.

I remember seeing Dunstall kick a bag one day and he would just lead and take chest marks and I was thinking I can do that Why aren't any of our players doing the same thing!

Also remember being at the last game against West Coast with the big melee.

Got a certificate saying I was at Dougie Hawkins 300th but I'm pretty sure I wasn't, I think they just sent them out to everyone.

Doug’s comeback game from his knee reco in ‘87 against the Eagles. First time we ever played them.

Super was lining up for goal and this massive roar came over the ground as Hawk ran out.

Great win as well with Super kicking 6 and Dougie being chaired off.

Game was played in glorious winter sun.

Also recall as there was no reserves game we were able to have a kick on the ground before the game.

The year is 1985

Was a year for the dogs

Beasley

Fossie

Bamblet

Royal

Purser

Dougie

Super

Cordy

Captain gronawagan

Wallis

Daniels

Sewell

Kellet

And a red head back man who wins a Brownlow from back pocket
Mr Hardie

We averaged 22 goals a game and let me tell you full houses every home game.
Ted Whitten sitting in his own stand yelling out ball you maggots...

It was what dreams where made off 👌

Going back to the WO for the AFLW or VFL feels like going back home.

I started going in the early 70's.

I remember being there for the following:
Beating reigning Premiers Carlton in 1973
Beating Reigning Premiers and then Premiers Richmond in 1974
The Sachse incident
Putting Carlton out of the Finals in round 22 1977
The drawn Game against Essendon in 1979 where we went 7 goals down early in the 3rd Quarter
Watching Bags of goals from Templeton and Beasley
Our wins against the Bombers then Hawks in 1985

And many more of those mentioned by others up to and including the last game.

Would still love it to be our home for games against interstate clubs to provided a more significant home ground advantage

Doug’s comeback game from his knee reco in ‘87 against the Eagles. First time we ever played them.

Super was lining up for goal and this massive roar came over the ground as Hawk ran out.

Great win as well with Super kicking 6 and Dougie being chaired off.

Game was played in glorious winter sun.

Also recall as there was no reserves game we were able to have a kick on the ground before the game.

I remember it well. What a great day. Geez we loved Douggie didn't we?

Going back to the WO for the AFLW or VFL feels like going back home.

I started going in the early 70's.

I remember being there for the following:
Beating reigning Premiers Carlton in 1973
Beating Reigning Premiers and then Premiers Richmond in 1974
The Sachse incident
Putting Carlton out of the Finals in round 22 1977
The drawn Game against Essendon in 1979 where we went 7 goals down early in the 3rd Quarter
Watching Bags of goals from Templeton and Beasley
Our wins against the Bombers then Hawks in 1985

And many more of those mentioned by others up to and including the last game.

Would still love it to be our home for games against interstate clubs to provided a more significant home ground advantage

I remember the crowd swelling around the door into the rooms, pounding on the door to get in and celebrating like we'd won

I remember the crowd swelling around the door into the rooms, pounding on the door to get in and celebrating like we'd won
We were ordinary that year and the Bombres played finals. I remember in 81 pushing the pies to within 5 points and the players got an ovation coming off, and we had LOST

Bit of a random question this:

Did anyone ever go into the away team dressing room in the Whitten Stand? If yes, what were they like - I take it quite small and pretty crap?

Our home change rooms took up the majority of the Whitten Stand and I remember the away change room tunnel being further out on the Whitten Stand towards the Barkly Street End.

I saw the Whitten Oval from just about everywhere - Gent Stand, Whitten Stand, Hawkins Wing, Barkly St End, Scoreboard End, home change rooms, the old social club - but never saw what the away rooms were like.

The last game at WO, in 1997 vs Wet Toast. The boys, led by Danny Southern (?) ganged up on poor young Gardiner, all 200cm of him. Poor thing ;-)

It was also Multicultural Day, and I can recall the half-time entertainment included various nationalities in costume. The poor women from the Pacific Islands were dressed in grass skirts and bugger all on top. The day was blizzard like, poor souls :-(, but we won.

One of my favourite games was against Richmond in 79. The battle of the two gun full forwards Templeton and Roach. Neck and neck all year in the race to kick most goals ( no Coleman Medal then). Ordinary weather, Tigers smashed us earlier in year by 70+. Ian Morrison plays full back and Roach is KICKLESS for the game. Kelvin kicks 6, we smash them by 50+ and Templeton wins the battle 91-90 for the year THANKS TO IAN MORRISON FFS!! ( a year later Roach kicks 21 goals in two games against us -55 in 6 games against the bottom 3 Us, Melbourne and Saints).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of my favourite games was against Richmond in 79. The battle of the two gun full forwards Templeton and Roach. Neck and neck all year in the race to kick most goals ( no Coleman Medal then). Ordinary weather, Tigers smashed us earlier in year by 70+. Ian Morrison plays full back and Roach is KICKLESS for the game. Kelvin kicks 6, we smash them by 50+ and Templeton wins the battle 91-90 for the year THANKS TO IAN MORRISON FFS!! ( a year later Roach kicks 21 goals in two games against us -55 in 6 games against the bottom 3 Us, Melbourne and Saints).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Morrison, like Merrington before him, was vastly underrated.

The Peanut Man's story is a fascinating read which brings back many great memories. Here's the link to his story:
Who could forget his "Peanuts, peanuts" call. LOL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Oval memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Back