Wet weather footy

Remove this Banner Ad

The Zone

Senior List
May 29, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's pretty obvious that footy is a lot more skilled in the wet than when I used to play but I was just wondering whether those old "wet weather footy" fundamentals still hold water (forgive my puns)?

As I recall the basics were:

Play in front - a wet ball drops short. Rove at the back on high and/or long balls - wet balls go through packs. Soccer or tap the ball forward in contested or congested situations while looking for your, or a team mate's, opportunity to get clean possession. There may have been other rules but I might have been concentrating on rolling a smoke while my U/13's coach was talking.

Watching tonight's game I wonder if the wet weather rules need to be re-written?

With the ball being changed just about every time it goes through for a goal or behind it seems the golden days of getting smacked in the snoz by a water logged ball when you go for a mark is history.

What do you think?

Yeah def not the slog it used to be but the same fundamentals apply.
Clean possesion is compromised so long kicking and hard bodies around the footy are a must, the ball still carries over the back as we saw tonight and you dont want to over do the handball in really wet weather and especially in a tight man on man contest.

The real key in the wet now is to keep the ball moving forward at all costs through numbers around the contest and pressure on the man, clean possesion from one end of the ground to the other doesnt happen, esp if its man on man so contested footy is where you win these type of games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wet weather footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back