Warrack

Warriors
Nhill
Ararat
United

Player on the rise: Addison Milner
Goal Kicker: Brayden Ison/Dylan Parrish
Watch Out for: Pat Knott, Jayden Beaumont, Ryan Bell & Phil Butch

Dimboola had a easy day at the office seniors/reserves. Being to fit and fast for Kaniva. 100+ win for both seniors and reserves. 7 missing from senior side. And very nice to see Shaun smith back into the side, back from football in Adelaide/ to play with the old home green & gold. Ash clugston...one to watch out for. Major Toohey medal contender

So are we going to hear each week when Dimmy play that they were to fit for the opposition? Give it a rest. Dont forget to mention that they have spent the most money of any club in the Wimmera to get the players that they have got, so they would want to be beating a district side by 100+ then...

It was only a matter of time before Dimboola and the money factor was going to be brought to this forum. ‘Spent the most money of any club in the Wimmera’ Sounds like you are privy to all the financial goings of every club in the Wimmera. I do not believe that you do so that’s not a great comment. Yes, Dimboola has spent a significant amount to attract players to their club. A club with a population base of 2000 residents cannot compete without attracting new players. They have been able to do this by having exceptional management (Volunteers) and running a successful business which is how football clubs need to be run these days. It’s not just money that is making Dimboola a successful club, it’s the culture and loyalty. There’s some recruits this year who I agree have no real prior connection to the club – Seers, Rentsch, Chilver. But they haven’t just recruited mercenaries. MacFarlane could be getting twice as much as he does at Dimboola from other clubs around Australia but you ask him why he continues to go back. I know the people of the Dimboola Football Club would find it offensive to suggest that anyone could walk up with a large bank account and have the same calibre of players, culture, and loyalty as they have.

Maybe you would be happier if clubs such as Dimboola, Warracknabeal, Nhill, Min Murt who all have small population bases just stay in the bottom half of the ladder. I say good on them for having such passion and dedication to win a Wimmera League premiership. I reckon you would also love to have a supporters such as FullOfKnowledge voicing their support for your club.

Ps. How much do you think Kaniva (a town in the Wimmera) are paying for their team this year?

It was only a matter of time before Dimboola and the money factor was going to be brought to this forum. ‘Spent the most money of any club in the Wimmera’ Sounds like you are privy to all the financial goings of every club in the Wimmera. I do not believe that you do so that’s not a great comment. Yes, Dimboola has spent a significant amount to attract players to their club. A club with a population base of 2000 residents cannot compete without attracting new players. They have been able to do this by having exceptional management (Volunteers) and running a successful business which is how football clubs need to be run these days. It’s not just money that is making Dimboola a successful club, it’s the culture and loyalty. There’s some recruits this year who I agree have no real prior connection to the club – Seers, Rentsch, Chilver. But they haven’t just recruited mercenaries. MacFarlane could be getting twice as much as he does at Dimboola from other clubs around Australia but you ask him why he continues to go back. I know the people of the Dimboola Football Club would find it offensive to suggest that anyone could walk up with a large bank account and have the same calibre of players, culture, and loyalty as they have.

Maybe you would be happier if clubs such as Dimboola, Warracknabeal, Nhill, Min Murt who all have small population bases just stay in the bottom half of the ladder. I say good on them for having such passion and dedication to win a Wimmera League premiership. I reckon you would also love to have a supporters such as FullOfKnowledge voicing their support for your club.

Ps. How much do you think Kaniva (a town in the Wimmera) are paying for their team this year?

Well said.....couldn't agree more.

Any reports on Horsham v Burras practice match from Friday night?

Horsham were about 2-3 goals up on the Burras at 3 quarter time. After that the reserves came on. Pekin and Blake best for Demons. Ison and Beaumont best for Burras. Burras had a couple out like; Midgley, Gerdtz, Trenthowan.

Would imagine both teams will be in the top half again this year.

Did slakka88 delete his comment?. and thank you very much for this statement. could not have said it any better.

Roos
Saints
Demons
Burras
Eagles

Warriors
Tigers
Rats
Diggers

Granny to be between Saints & Roos, with the Green & Gold prevailing in a thriller.
Demons & Burras in a fight for third in a pretty even top four, the rest some ways behind the pack.

Dimmy are up and running, super-fit, developing mental toughness, confidence & a winning attitude, have recruited well to eliminate weaknesses and create real depth, all largely resulting from the appointment of Farr (building on the work of Davidson). Farr is recruit of the year without pulling on the boots - the most significant appointment from outside the club since Hugh Delahunty & Alan Lawson. Regardless, they have a lot to prove, so for me the Saints are the danger team.

The Saints have gone about things quietly but effectively in the off-season, and in truth, i have a feeling they will be the team to beat despite the hype about Dimmy. They have recruited well, their losses are minimal, and they are well positioned to break through for their first WFL premiership.

The Burras have recruited well, and should be big improvers with a great chance to play off in the big one, but seem a tad behind the Saints and Roos at this stage. Plenty of time for them to change that perception.

You can't loose so many key players such as the Demons have, replace them almost exclusively from within, and still maintain a dominance of the competition. Yet so many seem reluctant to downgrade them accordingly. I have no doubt they will be very competitive, however their consecutive-premiership era is over. But look out for them in 2014-15!

Warrack will be the biggest fallers this season, but i still expect them to be competitive for the majority of matches with the top teams with their youth and speed.

With their respective populations and talent-pools, Ararat & Stawell should be perenial finalists, but they both look certain to miss out once again by fair margins. If they could get their act together, they could be anything.

Nhill have experienced the highs and lows in recent years, but some recruiting will see them move a rung or two up the ladder from last year.

The plight of the Diggers is a real concern for the league and Wimmera football in general. Not dissing the efforts of key people in the club, but it seems their ongoing viability is in question. The loss of the diggers from the competition would be a big blow to the standing of WFL in country footy, and the Commission should be doing everything possible to give them equal footing in Horsham, because they are the poor cousins in regards to training nights etc.

Don't usually bother with Toohey Medal, but the ones already mentioned i would agree with as possibles, though i still wouldn't write off Steve Schultz despite leaving the league!

Look out for guys like Milner, Beaumont, Blake, G. Kelm, Clugston, R. Bell, Ison, Delahunty to establish (or re-establish) themselves as key players for their clubs, plus the usual number of ready-made Demons juniors.

Would have to agree with everyone that the main challengers for the flag this year are the Roos, Saints, Demons & Burras. I would expect some very closely fought battles through the year with some quality players running around which is great for the league.

Horsham Saints have been going under the radar a bit & look set for a big year. Gavin Kelm is a massive inclusion. Horsham will still be strong but can't see them improving anymore, will rely on Pekin, Parish, Burke, Hartigan too keep them up the top. Minyip/Murtoa look set to improve on there finish last year & would expect them to be very hard to beat, with J.Delahunty & Beaumont lining up for them they add a bit of class to the team.

All the talk has been with Dimboola & as a supporter i don't really want to pump them up as enough has been said. But to think they made the prelim last year & only lost to Horsham by 3 goals, you would have to think that with a massive pre-season & some handy inclusions they would be disappointed to not make the grand final. Watching them play a couple of practice matches the thing that struck me was there midfield depth with Al Mckinnon spending a lot of time off half back.

For the Toohey Medal i would expect Clugston, Pekin & J.Delahunty to be right up there. Parish & L.Exell to fight it out for the goal kicking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Season underway this weekend, Round 1. What does everyone think will happen?
Games:
Saints (H) Vs Burras- gonna be a solid game to start with but i think saints have to many star inclusions.

Nhill (H) Vs united: both sides have recruited a few names but Nhill will take the points this round with a solid preseason i think they will start off well but it will be tight game.

Demons (H) Vs Eagles- Grand final repeat? nahh. Warracks off season has been nothing but negatives with little numbers on the track, No major recruits apart from coach. Schultz boys is a huge loss. Demons will take this game and run over the eags.

Stawell (H) Vs Dimmy- Stawell having a walk out of players in the off season, and nothing really replacing the names. Dimmy will live upto this years hype with a big win. the ground will be very hard to being the stawell gift just ran. shocker ground

Ararat with the bye.

Just my picks. whats others thoughts?

Games:
Saints (H) Vs Burras- gonna be a solid game to start with but i think saints have to many star inclusions.

Nhill (H) Vs united: both sides have recruited a few names but Nhill will take the points this round with a solid preseason i think they will start off well but it will be tight game.

Demons (H) Vs Eagles- Grand final repeat? nahh. Warracks off season has been nothing but negatives with little numbers on the track, No major recruits apart from coach. Schultz boys is a huge loss. Demons will take this game and run over the eags.

Stawell (H) Vs Dimmy- Stawell having a walk out of players in the off season, and nothing really replacing the names. Dimmy will live upto this years hype with a big win. the ground will be very hard to being the stawell gift just ran. shocker ground

Ararat with the bye.

Games:

Ararat with the bye.

Every one is hyping up the saints a bit who have they picked up from last year???

Milners x 2, Kelms x 2, Stevie Thomas, Pat Knott & Cameron from injury, Dennis Adams,Lachie De Morton from Ultima,
There are some more names, I can't remember if a saints supporter could maybe fill you in

Saints had some really good juniors last year who should be filtering through. As long as they dont start that crap like North Bound Train they are a genuine threat.

They were finalists last year and will improve, unlike many of last years other finalists. That has got to give them a chance.

Saints had some really good juniors last year who should be filtering through. As long as they dont start that crap like North Bound Train they are a genuine threat.

They were finalists last year and will improve, unlike many of last years other finalists. That has got to give them a chance.

Is Steve Cameron coming back from injury? Must be a gun by all reports

Is Steve Cameron coming back from injury? Must be a gun by all reports

Dnt know about Steve Cameron, but Damian Cameron who is assistant coach at the Diggers this year can seriously play. If they can improve enough to win a few games he will poll well in the Toohey (whatever that prediction is worth at this time of year, which is basically nothing... anyway!). Play on.

Get your facts straight before you make a dickhead of yourself. Farr stood down. Horsham appointed new coaches in line with their succession plan and then Farr changed his mind after the appointment.

I have my facts straight as can be my friend.
There was no Kirribilli agreement at Horsham and anyone who says there was is either naïve or a liar. The things that Horsham have said about Farr since he departure have been disgraceful. Horsham are still yet to tell us why they think Burke and Hartigan are better coaches, are better recruiters, better developers of talent or more effective at retaining the list from 2012. Whatever the argument now it can be blown out of water by the summers events.
Maybe it's the Horsham board who should consider their position if Dimboola is able to get over a now full strength Horsham side?

I have my facts straight as can be my friend.
There was no Kirribilli agreement at Horsham and anyone who says there was is either naïve or a liar. The things that Horsham have said about Farr since he departure have been disgraceful. Horsham are still yet to tell us why they think Burke and Hartigan are better coaches, are better recruiters, better developers of talent or more effective at retaining the list from 2012. Whatever the argument now it can be blown out of water by the summers events.
Maybe it's the Horsham board who should consider their position if Dimboola is able to get over a now full strength Horsham side?

Perhaps stating the obvious, but you get the feeling Horsham were going all-out for the 'Ten-peat', and then in the minds of many in the club, they could go through a renewal process with guys moving on or retiring, and promoting from within. I imagine the biggest danger for the committee would have been retaining key current players like Burke and Hartigan, with perhaps a hint that they might look to coach elswhere if the opportunity didn't arise at the Demons if Farr stayed on and progression was unavailable. Perhaps Farr was seen as expendable as now a primarily non-playing coach, despite his significant contribution to the club? maybe there was a feeling the playing group were becoming stale?

Whatever the reason, it is clear there was a lack of proper planning, transparency and communication in the club, and its made them look fairly bad, but at least it has contributed to an apparent rebalancing of the competition which is welcome after ten years of Horsham 'Demon-ation'. It's pretty obvious Dimmy are delighted in the results of the falling-out so far, with an extremely motivated Farr already raising them to a new level. Bring on Sunday!

Remove this Banner Ad

WFL Whispers 2013.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back