What’s your greatest personal football highlight.

Remove this Banner Ad

DWil6

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2007
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Premier League
As in, something you achieved as a footballer along the way. Whether it be kicking 13 goals in the u8’s or standing on someone’s head taking a screamer.

My ‘career’ as a footballer was short lived and underwhelming.
One time I took a mark about 50m out from goal. I knew it was beyond my range but I had a plan. A forward lead to the pocket on his own. The coach shouted at me from the bench to pass it but this was my time to shine.
I ran at the man on the mark and as he jumped to smother my shot, I stepped on the gas and flew past. I took a ‘bounce’. The ball had other thoughts and tumbled along in front of me. It all felt like it was unfolding in slow motion, because it probably was. I managed to scoop the ball up eventually and jam it on my boot from about 30 out. I hit it poorly but it tumbled through the big sticks as I celebrated my amazing achievement.
My team mates were bamboozled and my coach was in stitches on the bench. He told me after the quarter that if I missed the goal after ignoring the lead he’d have dragged me for sure. But when you show the poise and skill to pull off the impossible, you get to bask in the glory evermore.

Now your turn. Now’s not the time to be modest. Hopefully it’s better than this!

Got Best Clubman for YCW U12s

Coach - an ex-Navy nutter - demonstrated a hip and shoulder on me at training

He forgot (probably) that I was a foot shorter at the time and he mashed my face

Blood spurted everywhere but no tears

I didn’t complain so got a trophy

Brutal. I was always slim so I copped a fair share of hip and shoulders. One big tattooed forward that I approached to tackle literally sized me up then deliberately threw his elbow into my nose as I grabbed him. I was bleeding like a stuck pig.

I was asked one pay to run with Nicky Winmar, he was recently retired. I was young and had only been playing the game for a short period. I learnt a lot about running patterns and making space in the forward line that day. Up to that point most of my opponents, sprinted 25/50 m which I had the speed and repeat speed strength to handle. Nicky worked me over with longer leads up the ground and finding space on the way back towards goal, on the way back he would lead diagonally to space or stop and prop. All this running was performed at a high intensity. As a defender that day I really learnt a lot about finding space as a forward, it was awesome.....It wasn't anywhere near my personal greatest achievement footy day but I it was a special day for me.

I was asked one pay to run with Nicky Winmar, he was recently retired. I was young and had only been playing the game for a short period. I learnt a lot about running patterns and making space in the forward line that day. Up to that point most of my opponents, sprinted 25/50 m which I had the speed and repeat speed strength to handle. Nicky worked me over with longer leads up the ground and finding space on the way back towards goal, on the way back he would lead diagonally to space or stop and prop. All this running was performed at a high intensity. As a defender that day I really learnt a lot about finding space as a forward, it was awesome.....It wasn't anywhere near my personal greatest achievement footy day but I it was a special day for me.

And you kept him goalless which is no small feat!!

Club was low on cash and a crisis meeting was called start of the season.
I suggested we use the remaining $6k to punt on a horse race that weekend. Someone had a strong ('inside') tip paying $15.
If it lost, we play for the season for nothing. The team agreed.

We played for nothing....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club was low on cash and a crisis meeting was called start of the season.
I suggested we use the remaining $6k to punt on a horse race that weekend. Someone had a strong ('inside') tip paying $15.
If it lost, we play for the season for nothing. The team agreed.

We played for nothing....
End thread. By the way, want to join our punters club? :tearsofjoy:. 6k at 15s? Wow

My mind goes back to possibly my 1st under 14 game,
Was selected in the back pocket :(
My stats from the day are as follows,
Zero Kicks
Zero Handballs
Zero Marks
Zero Tackles

We won the game and kicked over 30 goals!

The coach must have noticed my ability to lock down an opponent and was moved to the wing :)

Snagging 6 in a half of footy for my school.. wind was blowing a gale that day.. spent the other half down back.

Playing soccer for my Uni.. snagged a hat trick v Tassie Uni. The first pigeon hole was in the first coupla.. started the game with a dart in me gob.. hadn't finished it right.. so I decided to run over to The Tassie bench and blow smoke rings at em. And I was like.. how do you like that and that re.. they lost it a bit at me and that re.. and they went after me on the pitch after that and that re.. copped a few.. khehaseto.. but dished a few out as well mate.. that's what motivated me to snag 3 on the day.. told the lads to spark one up for me after I score again.. so I can stand in front of their bench like a statue of a Greek God blowing rings at em. We shook hands at the end of the game though.. they thought I was a brilliant soccer player and a funny bugger.. had a few beers and laughs with them after the game as well and that re.

Last edited:
Snagging 6 in a half of footy for my school.. wind was blowing a gale that day.. spent the other half down back.

Playing soccer for my Uni.. snagged a hat trick v Tassie Uni. The first pigeon hole was in the first coupla.. started the game with a dart in me gob.. hadn't finished it right.. so I decided to run over to The Tassie bench and blow smoke rings at em. And I was like.. how do you like that and that re.. they lost it a bit at me and that re.. and they went after me on the pitch after that and that re.. copped a few.. khehaseto.. but dished a few out as well mate.. that's what motivated me to snag 3 on the day.. told the lads to spark one up for me after I score again.. so I can stand in front of their bench like a statue of a Greek God blowing rings at em. We shook hands at the end of the game though.. they thought I was a brilliant soccer player and a funny bugger.. had a few beers and laughs with them after the game as well and that re.

Sent to the backline after kicking 6 in a half?! Who was the coach...Pagan?

Sent to the backline after kicking 6 in a half?! Who was the coach...Pagan?

The wind was ****ed that day re.. the pill was always on one side of the pitch. Even going for a ****en 10-15 mtr hand pass agst it.. the pill would come back flying over your cranium.. or would hit you flat in the fatsa and that re.. team was pretty avg.. the only way to move the pill agst it was either just run with it and look for dinky lil handpasses.. soccer it forward.. or keep it low with 15 mtr stab kicks.. so the coach placed me back for half the game agst it.. to sure up the defence.. the other half with it.. to snag sausage rolls.

There was 3 awards given on the day.. best defensive player.. best forward player.. and best on ground.. awards.. no midfield award cause it was never in there and that re.. I won all 3!

Only one I reckon in the history of this great and all encompassing game of ours to achieve this amazing feat I reckon and that re sort of a thing and that re.

Am I a great or what re. Am I a great or what re.

Last edited:
Played my footy in Sydney and was playing Sydney Uni in the SFL GF in 1982 from memory. I was playing FB and their FF kicked over 100 goals that season. They kicked a point very early and I took the kick out. A beautiful short pass hit their FF on the chest and he duly kicked the goal.
Anger and embarrassment spurred me on and I kept him goal-less for the rest of the game and smashed him (legally then) at every opportunity. We won the GF and it was the first of a run of 3 in a row.

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s your greatest personal football highlight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back