What’s your greatest personal football highlight.

Remove this Banner Ad

My Football career was short and undistinguished due to 2 buggered knees when I was 15 and an utter lack of game awareness. I had good training track skills but was useless in games.

The highlight was playing with my 17 year old daughter in a 4 team footy bulletin board comp at Victoria Park. She grew up playing sport against the boys in our court so wasn't bothered by playing against men, after stinking it up in the forward line I was banished to full back where I played on a full forward waiting for a knee reconstruction so we both had the turning circle of road trains. She was playing HBF so I was able to feed her a couple of possessions and watch her sprint her 10 then unleash her left foot torps in the general direction of our forward line.
Biggest cheer of the day was for her from the other teams in the stands when she crash tackled a bloke a good 30kg heavier (she was 50kg wringing wet so possibly more) and won a free kick.

I never played club footy, as my Dad was a raging alcoholic and parenting wasn’t high on his agenda. My Mum was good enough to get basketball off the ground for us kids. She got three kids to training and games despite initially not even owning a car. God only knows how but a lot of networking and car pooling went on. Respect.

I did play footy for my high school though, and although I never had time to get comfortable at the level (I tended to get a bit of tunnel vision, the game not yet having slowed down for me) I had good skills and loved playing. Our team went the whole season undefeated and we won the Granny 91-0. I kicked two goals straight and one rushed through on the goal line.

One of my goals I snagged by picking it up off the ground and snapping it on my right from about 40m out, just flushed it. One of my mates (who had played footy since he could walk) roared “(insert nickname here) you GOALSNEAK!!!” A pretty minor achievement, but it still makes me happy to think about it 28 years later.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s your greatest personal football highlight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back