What are you listening to right now? Pt VI

Remove this Banner Ad

For the Elvis fans among us.

I just finished watching the second part of the excellent HBO Elvis Presley documentary, The Searcher.

It's easily the best career spanning doco on EP that I've seen (and I've seen them all). And while it does gloss over - or miss - the odd memorable album or tour in it's 202 minutes, all the most important moments are there. And it doesn't shy away from highlighting the bad as well as the good. For a supremely talented artist, he made several appalling errors of judgement along the way.

And while the hardcore EP fans will thoroughly enjoy this doco, It's clearly aimed at music fans who don't know a great deal about the man and his importance in popular music in the 20th century (and beyond), but who have an interest.

Hopefully it goes some way to putting the emphasis back on Presley's music, rather than the image of him that's perpetuated by the disgusting hordes of Elvis "impersonators" who, in my bruncher's opinion, should all be rounded up and beaten to death with hammers.

I look forward to the imminent Blu-ray release which will hopefully have a shitload of extras.

Verdict: 4.5/5 (it really is very good).

My uncle played with the Red Onions for years. Not the original line up though. I think he joined after a year or two.
Yep i remember them as a kid at jazz conventions here in Melbourne. My dad was Spike Edwards- He was in many many bands over the years. A well known guy Dave rankin and he had a band local when they were young. I was lucky to have attended many many party's and gigs over the years and eventually played with many of the people that i post on here myself. I just feel blessed to have met them and to experience and later play myself. I was lucky i had the ear and could play. But I am blessed with the memories They were just great days late 60s 70s even a few playing in late 80s. People just don't realize what great days they were. Now everyone wonders around ice addicted and god knows what else. Anyway I hope you enjoyed mate.
Take care

Last edited:
Yep i remember them as a kid at jazz conventions here in Melbourne. My dad was Spike Edwards- He was in many many bands over the years. A well known guy Dave rankin and he had a band local when they were young. I was lucky to have attended many many party's and gigs over the years and eventually played with many of the people that i post on here myself. I just feel blessed to have met them and to experience and later play myself. I was lucky i had the ear and could play. But I am blessed with the memories.
That's so cool. My uncle is John Scurry. He plays guitar and banjo. He's still playing around the place with his own band.

I myself moved towards the blusier side of things. Veering between Chicago style rhythm and blues, and occasional bursts of heavy, blues based rock.

That's so cool. My uncle is John Scurry. He plays guitar and banjo. He's still playing around the place with his own band.

I myself moved towards the blusier side of things. Veering between Chicago style rhythm and blues, and occasional bursts of heavy, blues based rock.
Yep im sure I know his name. I'm probably a little shaky on the face. Mate I'm a bit shaky on a lot. I'm over the moon to hear that you play yourself. Its a great thing and even if you don't go play in public it is a real good thing for the soul so just keep strumming away with it mate ok.
I see your a tiger fan so I'll leave you with this ok.

Yep im sure I know his name. I'm probably a little shaky on the face. Mate I'm a bit shaky on a lot. I'm over the moon to hear that you play yourself. Its a great thing and even if you don't go play in public it is a real good thing for the soul so just keep strumming away with it mate ok.
I used to gig quite a lot. Not for the last 10 years or so, but before that there was a good 15 years or so of fairly solid gigging.

But you're right. Whether you play in public or not, it's good for the soul. I play bass. Yourself?

I used to gig quite a lot. Not for the last 10 years or so, but before that there was a good 15 years or so of fairly solid gigging.

But you're right. Whether you play in public or not, it's good for the soul. I play bass. Yourself?
Yep i gave up doing night gigs 12 years ago myself. There is just way to many F*ckheads getting around Melbourne after dark nowadays and their more and more vicious, Drug fulled, and dangerous. Plus there is just way way to many people around. I saw the writing on the wall years ago. All the mates of dads are dead and same with most of my mates. Also i started on stage at age 8 playing the drums sitting in iin a pizza restaurant in Fitzroy Street St Kilda when the the band took a break. i played with the piano player Russel, I'm 55 now so yeah i did a few years too lol. Started on drums( By Ear ) and as life went on i taut myself Banjo, Guitar, Ukulele Blues Harps , fiddled a bit with piano, And played all of those in bands. At school i learned trombone and later in life i had most of my teeth smashed out of my head so lost the lip a bit lol. At school i played in an AC/DC tribute band with mates and later in life a Doors tribute band. At home nowadays playing guitar i like to play Hendrix Rolling stones Bob Dylan ( I'm a huge Dylan fan ) and a bit of folk.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What band Hoos?

I played for Big Deal ,covers drums in their glory years.

Around 89 to 2003

Was in metal bands,alternative bands but didn’t quite make it.

I play drums,you play bass ,we follow Richmond!

What band Hoos?

I played for Big Deal ,covers drums in their glory years.

Around 89 to 2003

Was in metal bands,alternative bands but didn’t quite make it.

I play drums,you play bass ,we follow Richmond!
I remember Big Deal.

The best band that I was in that played regularly for a few years was a blues band called Howlin' Time. We did mostly Chicago style R&B. Really good band.

The rest were mainly blues based hard/heavy rock style bands doing originals with a handful of covers. None made it even though one or two were very good.

At home nowadays playing guitar i like to play Hendrix Rolling stones Bob Dylan ( I'm a huge Dylan fan ) and a bit of folk.
I love Bob too. Plus The Who, Stones, Elvis, Kinks, Hendrix, Otis Redding...etc, etc.

My main bass influences are

John Entwistle (the guv'nor)
Jack Bruce
Jerry Scheff
John Paul Jones
Bill Wyman
Donald "Duck" Dunn

There's a few others but these are my main guys.

For the Elvis fans among us.

I just finished watching the second part of the excellent HBO Elvis Presley documentary, The Searcher.

It's easily the best career spanning doco on EP that I've seen (and I've seen them all). And while it does gloss over - or miss - the odd memorable album or tour in it's 202 minutes, all the most important moments are there. And it doesn't shy away from highlighting the bad as well as the good. For a supremely talented artist, he made several appalling errors of judgement along the way.

And while the hardcore EP fans will thoroughly enjoy this doco, It's clearly aimed at music fans who don't know a great deal about the man and his importance in popular music in the 20th century (and beyond), but who have an interest.

Hopefully it goes some way to putting the emphasis back on Presley's music, rather than the image of him that's perpetuated by the disgusting hordes of Elvis "impersonators" who, in my bruncher's opinion, should all be rounded up and beaten to death with hammers.

I look forward to the imminent Blu-ray release which will hopefully have a shitload of extras.

Verdict: 4.5/5 (it really is very good).
This is interesting for the fact that you recognise how much he (Presley) was exploited.

And yet, I enjoyed his interpretation of many of the 'classics' musically & theatrically.

I was only a kid and lived his music thru my mother and what he meant to her generation. The Jive was a huge part of this.

This is interesting for the fact that you recognise how much he (Presley) was exploited
It's kind of incredible that we got as much great music from him as we did, such was the level of mismanagement by Parker.

I love Bob too. Plus The Who, Stones, Elvis, Kinks, Hendrix, Otis Redding...etc, etc.

My main bass influences are

John Entwistle (the guv'nor)
Jack Bruce
Jerry Scheff
John Paul Jones
Bill Wyman
Donald "Duck" Dunn

There's a few others but these are my main guys.
Dads brother ( my uncle )did well , He earned a living from music all his life. When he was younger he played with Judith Durum In a couple of bands before the seekers. Later was lucky enough to play with touring bands from over seas Shirley bassey was one that comes to mind. He was one of the original members of Galapagos Duck. Went to England long before it was the thing, and worked over there and in Europe. Came back to Australia and struggled a bit so went to teachers college and got a teaching degree and taught Music at Geelong college and continued to play around in various bands till he retired recently from teaching.

Dads brother ( my uncle )did well , He earned a living from music all his life. When he was younger he played with Judith Durum In a couple of bands before the seekers. Later was lucky enough to play with touring bands from over seas Shirley bassey was one that comes to mind. He was one of the original members of Galapagos Duck. Went to England long before it was the thing, and worked over there and in Europe. Came back to Australia and struggled a bit so went to teachers college and got a teaching degree and taught Music at Geelong college and continued to play around in various bands till he retired recently from teaching.
That's great that it worked out for him in the end (and in the beginning).

My uncle also teaches, but art not music.

Remove this Banner Ad

What are you listening to right now? Pt VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Back