What do we want in this rebuilding (third) year?

I absolutely want in 2022:

• Competitiveness in most games

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • More wins than 2021

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • More tanking than 2021

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • General team skills and fitness improvements

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • Making the Finals

• Winning the premiership

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I don’t know what I want

• All the above

• Other - more might be added depending on the replies

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Sackings

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
In one word, one sentence, or one paragraph, what is/are the key issues you want to see in 2022 (apart from sackings)?

How far off are we really from meeting the AFL standards of a rebuilding team in their third year?

One final point to ponder, is it fair to judge us with other past rebuilding teams, when our current rebuild basically coincides with the pandemic craze? (2020-?)

[Poll added with multiple picks allowed.]

This year was always going to be a regression year (sophmore slumps with our kids)
So getting games into the kids was all that really matters.

This year was always going to be a regression year (sophmore slumps with our kids)
So getting games into the kids was all that really matters.
Correct - this year is all about getting as many games as possible into our best talent to get them to 50+ games asap.

Also, embed the game plans for the future... rather than worrying about loss minimisation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Establish who has a future in our best 22.

That means playing the likes of Worrell , Newchurch, McAsey , Pedlar , cook (ie guys who have been in the system a year or 2) and see how they play in AFL company
Yep, I would have liked to have seen a few more guys getting games instead of sticking strictly to a squad of 26-27 players all year.

Whilst there have been positives, I've been really frustrated that we have not been more aggresive with pumping games into people like newchruch, Worrel, Pedlar and Cook.

Theres been way to much merry go rounding for my liking, as others have said almost an obsession with a selection of 26/27 players.

Yep, I would have liked to have seen a few more guys getting games instead of sticking strictly to a squad of 26-27 players all year.
In addition to the 22 who played yesterday we have played the following;
Rowe
Hately
Rachele
Frampton
Sholl
Crouch
Brown
Himmelberg
Sloane
Pedlar
Gollant
Cook
McPherson
Strachan
Davis

Seedsman has been unavailable all season and Turner has just joined us. The only players not to get a run are Worrell, Borlase, McAsey, Newchurch, Taylor and Nankervis.

Last edited:
In addition to the 22 who played yesterday we have played the following;
Rowe
Hately
Rachele
Frampton
Sholl
Crouch
Brown
Himmelberg
Sloane
Pedlar
Gollant
Cook
McPherson
Strachan
Davis

Seedsman has been unavailable all season and Turner has just joined us. The only players not to get a run are Worrell, Borlase, McAsey, Newchurch, Taylor and Nankervis.
So which of these are you confident of being 100 game players ? (Barring injury of course )

Rowe -no
Hately - ?
Rachele - yes
Frampton no
Sholl - yes
Crouch - yes
Brown - yes
Himmelberg - no
Sloane - yes
Pedlar - ?
Gollant -?
Cook - yes
McPherson - no
Strachan - no
Davis - no

I’d be playing the ? , rather than the Rowe/Murphy/McHenry yo-yo

Correct - this year is all about getting as many games as possible into our best talent to get them to 50+ games asap.

Also, embed the game plans for the future... rather than worrying about loss minimisation.
You could argue we have failed both.

Cook, Pedlar, McAsey, Sholl haven't played at all.
Our game plan is literally to protect from scores.

You could argue we have failed both.

Cook, Pedlar, McAsey, Sholl haven't played at all.
Our game plan is literally to protect from scores.
Cook & Sholl were playing earlier in the season, but haven't got a look in recently. Cook is someone imo we should be getting to 50 games asap. Sholl is more worthy of a wing than playing inside mids for most of the past month.

Pedlar you can excuse as just hasn't had much continuity.

But we haven't even given McAsey, Worrell or Newchurch a single game... which is bizarre when rebuilding a team & working out who is your future best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

What do we want in this rebuilding (third) year?

Back