What does our best forward 6 look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

If we play Morton on the wing, I'd say

hf: houli griffiths king
ff: nahas reiwoldt vickery

Webberley and Helbig can play forward too :thumbsu:
Explain where you get Houli from

... and as far as Griffiths goes , he needs to show he is in our front 6 , not be played simply because he is the great white hope . So as far as i am concerned Miller plays until someone boots him out . Whether thats Griffiths or someone else is yet to be seen .

...you have to remember with Griffiths to that he is but one more serious shoulder injury away from being "Sean Rusling"

And I still cling to my long held belief that Reiwoldt would serve us much better at CHF than FF. He uses the ball too well to be just sitting in the goalsquare.

And I still cling to my long held belief that Reiwoldt would serve us much better at CHF than FF. He uses the ball too well to be just sitting in the goalsquare.
Agree with this. Jack is very good at ground level too, and I still think he is best served by being a 2nd or 3rd forward like we all thought he was two years ago. If, and I mean if, Griff can come through like we all hope, I see him and Vickery being the two KPFs and Jack being a floater.

This -

HF: Nahas Miller (Resting Mid)
FF: King Riewoldt Vickery

In saying this I would be happy to trade King and Nahas. I only believe Riewoldt, Vickery and maybe Nahas will make it in the forward line. King has been found out a bit and seems to be getting most of his kicks around the middle these days

JR weakness is his pace. His strengths are agility, lateral movement, goal sense and kicking, contestable marking. Needs to lead from square and hand around deep.

JR should be all Australian forward pocket for the rest of his career.

We need to find a full forward, and we need to figure out our half forward line.

Lot of work to be done in our forward 6 but with Martin and Lids chipping in at times with Cotch resting still potent against middle range teams. Vick is to tall to play deep alongside JR but certainly has a place in our forward line at times throughout the game!!

HF: Martin/Cotchin Vickery Edwards/Foley
F: Nahas/Conca Riewoldt Miller(Griffiths)

For mine I like the above. 3 talls that can pretty much rotate through the 3 positions they are named in. The other 3 positions are taken by midfielders who rotate through. You can add other names like Deledio Morton Grigg to them as well. As good as King was earlier in the season I just don't see a full time spot for him next year, for mine if he isn't kicking 2-3 goals he just doesn't offer enough to carry him for 6-8 touches. At least guys like Conca Edwards & Nahas can push up into the midfield and get a few touches and provide us with some flexibility.

HF : Delidio Vickery Riewoldt

FF: Nahas Griffiths King

Rotations: Martin , Morton , Clarke

Delidio is the x-factor here that can either go down to the wing with 3 bounces kick a 50 mtr goal on the run
Or
Sprint Down to foward pocket to crumb a goal of the pack
Or
Lead out from the foward pocket with his spead to mark & Kick a goal

3 Very Big Strong Mobile Fowards
1 Super fast Super agile Super Talented Mid size Foward
2 Crumbing Fast Smalls

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nahas Griffiths Edwards
Vickery Riewoldt King

Given how hard it was to find any players to put on a HFF, hopefully we address this in the draft/trade week.

We need a player in the mould of Walker, even Karnezis from Brisbane would fit in well. (I'm not saying we should target these players because it won't happen, but a player of similar traits)

Explain where you get Houli from

... and as far as Griffiths goes , he needs to show he is in our front 6 , not be played simply because he is the great white hope . So as far as i am concerned Miller plays until someone boots him out . Whether thats Griffiths or someone else is yet to be seen .

...you have to remember with Griffiths to that he is but one more serious shoulder injury away from being "Sean Rusling"

Houli would add skill to the forward line. As for Griffiths, with that much height, pace and strength with a huge kick he's bound to be good with Reiwoldt and Vickery standing next to him. If Griffiths played in the last 2 wins he would have looked good in those 2 games. He was just unlucky to be playing when we were playing crap as a team :D

hf--- nahas---reiwoldt---morton

ff---king -- martin---vickery

that is my starting 6 dusty is such a good one on one player and such a accurate kick he creates goals out of nothing he would be a aweseome full forward ,, would love in either of the next 2 games dusty play at ff and leave him there well thats my opinion anyway. Players to rotate thru would be cotch foley and miller

for me nahas and king are not good enough im hoping we are looking to do better.
morton could be gone as early as the end of this season,
as for vickery i really hope hes the future ruckman of the side.

theres a lot of faith in unproven talls astbury and griffith in fact it never ceases to amaze me no one complains about the number of tall forwards we have.
to go with this i think theres a total lack of genuine classy sml/med forwards.dean macdonald is it. in the short term i think we need to play some of our better mids thru the forward line to compensate for the lack of decent sml medium forwards.

hf/ ****** - astbury - riewoldt
f/ ***** - griffiths - ******

HF: Nahas - Griffiths - King

FF: X - Riewoldt - Vickery

Nahas and King:

Have proven themself really well at half forward this year with explosive pace to apply real pressure onto opposition half backs. Nahas gives us illusivness and creativity while King gives us hardness up forward.

Griffiths:

A big if, but you have to back in a guy with as many raw qualities as him. He's amazingly agile and athletic for his size and his booming kick is just what you want for a half forward who will spend most of his time with the ball between the 50m and centre. He just needs to find the ball and this will come when he gets more confidence and we have better structures supporting him.

Vickery:

He wont play all the game up forward, presumbly around 50% just in an attempt to stretch the opposition and provide a difficult third tall option. He can also rotate with Riewoldt and Griff when tired. But honestly, as a third tall he has the potential to be the best in the league, i think this is an area we have a huge advantage.

Riewoldt:

Im always confused when people see Riewoldt as anything other than a full forward. Lets look at his qualities, he is mercurial around goal, very good at ground level for his size and he judges the arial ball very well. While perhaps his weakness is he doesnt have elite acceleration, speed or endurance. If you analyse this, i'm describing a gun key FF rather than CHF. If you look at the difference between Nick and Jack, they are proberbly the best examples of a gun CHF and FF respectively. If anything, im hoping Jack can gain another 5kg on his upper body so he can outmuscle the opposition further hopefully without loosing his ground level agility.

X:

The missing link as i see it. Its a gap we have been plugging with Cotchin and Martin however i think we are craving a gifted forward pocket. Thats not to say Martin and cotchin still shouldnt rest up forward e.g to replace Vickery or allow X man midfield rotations, but predominately we want martin and cotchin in the guts more.

HF: Nahas - Griffiths - King

FF: X - Riewoldt - Vickery

Nahas and King:

Have proven themself really well at half forward this year with explosive pace to apply real pressure onto opposition half backs. Nahas gives us illusivness and creativity while King gives us hardness up forward.

Griffiths:

A big if, but you have to back in a guy with as many raw qualities as him. He's amazingly agile and athletic for his size and his booming kick is just what you want for a half forward who will spend most of his time with the ball between the 50m and centre. He just needs to find the ball and this will come when he gets more confidence and we have better structures supporting him.

Vickery:

He wont play all the game up forward, presumbly around 50% just in an attempt to stretch the opposition and provide a difficult third tall option. He can also rotate with Riewoldt and Griff when tired. But honestly, as a third tall he has the potential to be the best in the league, i think this is an area we have a huge advantage.

Riewoldt:

Im always confused when people see Riewoldt as anything other than a full forward. Lets look at his qualities, he is mercurial around goal, very good at ground level for his size and he judges the arial ball very well. While perhaps his weakness is he doesnt have elite acceleration, speed or endurance. If you analyse this, i'm describing a gun key FF rather than CHF. If you look at the difference between Nick and Jack, they are proberbly the best examples of a gun CHF and FF respectively. If anything, im hoping Jack can gain another 5kg on his upper body so he can outmuscle the opposition further hopefully without loosing his ground level agility.

X:

The missing link as i see it. Its a gap we have been plugging with Cotchin and Martin however i think we are craving a gifted forward pocket. Thats not to say Martin and cotchin still shouldnt rest up forward e.g to replace Vickery or allow X man midfield rotations, but predominately we want martin and cotchin in the guts more.

This why JR is really an elite forward pocket, so good he can play FF. I agree, while he could play CHF or up the ground on a flank he is most effective around the ground. The explosive pace is why we need a alternate full forward who can lead up the ground in both directions even as a partial decoy to create space for JR against the better defensive setups.

PS, JR's size is just right, he is a beautiful unique work of art, if it works don't fix it IMO!!

I think it is a question of building structures around players organic qualities not mould players into stereotypical structures that are largely unproven over long periods of time like Kung fu versus karate.

For example , Martin could easily play FF and CHF and our forward line could be devastating depending on the players around him!! The important thing is we go easy on Martin, protect his body like Vick for the moment and take them off the hook when the GF arrives!!!

On reflection we could have Vick and JR both playing deep in this particular set-up.

Vick Martin JR

where Martin is the FF leading with one of the others and doubling back with one of the others to the square depending on what the ball carrier did.That would be a devastating set-up .
Of course such a set-up would only occur during part of the game depending on when Vick/Martin rests from midfield and matchups.

The other thing is 5 man forward line set ups and other combinations depending on matchups are possible as well that could prove extremely effective . Eg. you could have only Martin and JR on the full forward line or an inverted forward line with 3 from deep and two on the half forward line. Plenty of options and reasons for the Tigers to look ahead to for good times!!!:thumbsu:

I'll take it to mid next year

FF: Jack Ty 'Resting' mid
HF 'Resting' mid Griff King

Yes Griff hasn't shown anything. Replace with Astbury / Miller if required.

Forward Resting mids next year to be
Martin, Cotchin, Nahas, Morton, Helbig

Mids that don't have goal smarts, and to rest on the bench (if they play at all)
Edwards, Foley, Grigg, Tuck, Jackson

Conca is the unknown for me. Haven't seen enough to see whether he has that goal sense.

Our best possible forward line will almost imevitably be made up of our best players.

You need one tall target to bomb it to if all else fails. ATM that is probably Vickery. If Vickery becomes a ruckman like we hope, we need to find someone else - atm it's Miller.
You need one player who you try to isolate because of his ability to beat his opponent one-out. Riewoldt. If he's having a bad day, Martin has some ability here (as has Tuck).
Nahas is our best option for 'speedy irritating flea who gets ignored by the opposition until he pops up unexpectedly'.
Do you know when Richo played on the wing in 2008 and nearly won the brownlow, who led our goalkicking? I'll give you a clue - he wore No 12. he would play on the wing and drift into the forward 50 where he could take a mark against mid-fielders rather than key defenders. And Richo was as good a shot for goal from 50 as from 5. I want Deledio to play that role. He is just as good a shot for goal (probably better), in a one-on-one he's probably as good a mark when not playing as a key forward, and you have the bonus of him being a far better deliverer to the forwards inside 50.

So my lineup is
Vickery, Riewoldt and Nahas in the forward line, Deledio playing as an attacking Mid, and Martin, Foley, Tuck and Cotchin having spells there. King is a backup, and I actually like the look of Hellbig.

Houli would add skill to the forward line. As for Griffiths, with that much height, pace and strength with a huge kick he's bound to be good with Reiwoldt and Vickery standing next to him. If Griffiths played in the last 2 wins he would have looked good in those 2 games. He was just unlucky to be playing when we were playing crap as a team :D

Griffiths didn’t play the last two weeks as he hasn’t shown that he is capable of playing anymore than a handful of senior games each year. Contrary to those talking him up as the next best thing, I err on the side of caution ad suggest this kid’s performances have been over-hyped and until he proves he can get the body right, he ain’t even worth speculating on.
For mine, at this point ….
HF Martin Miller Morton
F Vickery Riewoldt Nahas

Santa is right.

We should be playing Astbury up forward. He is a good size, moves well and knows where the goals are.

Griffiths doesn't have the footy nouse of Astbury, Vickery or Riewoldt. I wouldn't mind giving him a preseason in the ruck and see how he goes.

Edwards Vickery Nahas
Miller Reiwoldt Foley

When Vickery is needed in the ruck, put Reiwoldt at CHF, Martin resting at FF, changing the structure of the attack.

Edwards/Nahas/Foley would all be part of the midfield rotation.

I'm starting to think Foley would make a good small forward. Quick, gets his hands on the ball and knows where the goals are.

Remove this Banner Ad

What does our best forward 6 look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back