What has happened to Tasmania Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Once the Northern Teams dropped out, all that was left was Clarence, Glenorchy, and North Hobart, and would of made for a very boring season. So all 3 teams held a meeting with the SFL President and joined the league in 2001. I guess the Northern teams couldn't afford the traveling expenses and decided it would be cheaper to play up North.

As for Sorell, they ran out of money, and went into recess, next season though, they could come back after being thrown a life line from a local pub owner. But Sorell will have a hard task, because they will have to find some new players, seeing as many of them have joined other SFL clubs after the demise of the Eagles.

Quite simply, poor administration.

The Football Tasmania board was created to unify football in Tassie and provide strong, sensible, informed and professional leadership to Tasmania's favourite game. They still cant get it right.

They have failed miserably at state level. They killed footy clubs, they killed the TFL.

They still have not fully mastered the great north v south rivalry. They have not turned the great rivalry into a positive for footy. They could build their entire state comp around this rivalry, but they don't.

They allow the same old negatives and infighting to dominate their decision making.

Jerome

Originally posted by Jerome
Quite simply, poor administration.

The Football Tasmania board was created to unify football in Tassie and provide strong, sensible, informed and professional leadership to Tasmania's favourite game. They still cant get it right.

They have failed miserably at state level. They killed footy clubs, they killed the TFL.

They still have not fully mastered the great north v south rivalry. They have not turned the great rivalry into a positive for footy. They could build their entire state comp around this rivalry, but they don't.

They allow the same old negatives and infighting to dominate their decision making.

Jerome

Originally posted by jacqui9
I grew up barracking for North Hobart for 17 years. I was Tasmanian born and bred. Left the state in 1999 to move to South Australia to live with family and get a career.

Hey same here except I went to Sydney! Still love the mighty Demons.

Tasmania Football needs to get its priority right. it does not seem to know what it wants, hosting AFL games, possible AFL tea,. an VFL team or a statewide comp.

Tasmania Fooball like The VFL is stuffed.

The problem needs to be addressed

I'll give you the drum right now, My North. Tassie is in WORSE shape at that level than Victoria!

I think they CAN handle a VFL team AND a statewide comp. AND an AFL team (which they can do as well).

BUT!!!

It has to be done right, and at this point in time? NO WAY!

A statewide comp will work if;

1. They DON'T try to make it a comp with enough money in the clubs to compete with the VFL, the SANFL and the WAFL (that's what finished the state comp to start with)
2. They run a roster to milk the full benefit of the North Coast/Hobart rivalry - and make sure that the higher finishing half host whatever final, INCLUDING the grand final
3. No matches at all on the day whoever is playing an AFL match (even in Hobart when York Park is hosting one)
4. And administer the comp PROPERLY!!!

And furthermore - don't tell clubs at the lower level what to do! Football Tasmania totally wrecked the Tasman FA and the Peninsula FA, and acted like facsists towards the Southern FL!

Ah for the good old days when there were many more clubs in their own areas and their own comps!

Bring back Southern District, South East District, Huon, Esperance, Tasman, East Coast, Kingborough (RIP clubs re Black Friday), Tyenna and Derwent Valley! :D :D :D

Oh Scarecrow, on your sig you got Glenorchy as a name change - ummmmmmm I don't think you're right;

1952 to 1956 (and probably further back in time) Glenorchy played in the Southern District FA, and played their seconds in patches in the Queenborough FA. And I read a couple of times in the Mercury that they wanted to join the TFL.

Any comment?

Re: Re: What has happened to Tasmania Football

Originally posted by The Doctor
Hey same here except I went to Sydney! Still love the mighty Demons.

All my Tassie rellies were and still are North Hobart supporters, so naturally I grew up in Melbourne with a soft spot for the mighty Dees! Wonderful traditional great club. What is it? 26 flags?

Originally posted by timelord
I'll give you the drum right now, My North. Tassie is in WORSE shape at that level than Victoria!

I think they CAN handle a VFL team AND a statewide comp. AND an AFL team (which they can do as well).

BUT!!!

It has to be done right, and at this point in time? NO WAY!

A statewide comp will work if;

1. They DON'T try to make it a comp with enough money in the clubs to compete with the VFL, the SANFL and the WAFL (that's what finished the state comp to start with)
2. They run a roster to milk the full benefit of the North Coast/Hobart rivalry - and make sure that the higher finishing half host whatever final, INCLUDING the grand final
3. No matches at all on the day whoever is playing an AFL match (even in Hobart when York Park is hosting one)
4. And administer the comp PROPERLY!!!

And furthermore - don't tell clubs at the lower level what to do! Football Tasmania totally wrecked the Tasman FA and the Peninsula FA, and acted like facsists towards the Southern FL!

Ah for the good old days when there were many more clubs in their own areas and their own comps!

Bring back Southern District, South East District, Huon, Esperance, Tasman, East Coast, Kingborough (RIP clubs re Black Friday), Tyenna and Derwent Valley! :D :D :D

Oh Scarecrow, on your sig you got Glenorchy as a name change - ummmmmmm I don't think you're right;

1952 to 1956 (and probably further back in time) Glenorchy played in the Southern District FA, and played their seconds in patches in the Queenborough FA. And I read a couple of times in the Mercury that they wanted to join the TFL.

Any comment?

Copy and pasted it from http://www.fullpointsfooty.net only place I found all the history without typing it all myself. I'm a lazy bugger :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back