What Has Made You Stick With Richmond For This Long??

Remove this Banner Ad

My dad threatened to send me to boarding school in far north WA when i was 4 if i didnt support the tiges. It can bring a family together, strengthen relationships with family and friends. It's a real bonding moment when you head off to the footy with someone (i.e you and you're dad).. Looking back now, i wouldn't have it any other way. Never have i considered changing teams, not once in my life!

IIRC the year was 1995, a mere 7 year old lad who loved watching footy... I loved both the Tigers and the Bombers (I was a foolish young kid). This mainly came down to mates who liked both and the local club being the Tigers...
I remember watching the semi-final that year thinking whoever wins out of richmond/essendon, I will support...
Thankfully the Tig's got up... Essendon went on to win a flag in 5 years but since then I have been a tiger man. Between the ages of 8-12 I would make the long commute to the footy for about 5 games a year and was a member..
It has only been since 04 when my love for them increased... Each year I feel like we are building towards something special and the last 2 years are making me more and more excited (even though results are getting worse and worse)....

I take pride in the fact ive never jumped ship.

You get your choice as a kid who you support and you stick to it.

If you honestly look at all the other teams who would you follow? they all suck.

I was brainwashed into supporting them by my evil father. I've often thought of suing him for child abuse because of that cruelty.

But now even though my dad and I live in different states we text each other continuously throughout the game - real family bonding stuff. When we finally won a game in round 10 it was the only game of the year that I couldn't watch it live on TV. The texts and iPhone updates that only came through every 15 minutes because of the crap reception where we were was one of the most exquisite tortures I've ever endured. So perhaps that makes me a masochist too?

Been a fan of the tiges since I was 8 or 9 when my aunt took me to a game. mainly because of deledio, his guernsey number is my birthday and my lucky number is 3. but i guess ive only been a fan of richmond for 5 or 6 years so not that long

Threads been done, but its a great topic.

I first started really watching footy and supporting the Tiges in 1996.
I think that speaks for itself as to who has made me a passionate Richmond fan...

I don't understand the question. There is no alternative.

This.

No secret I'm peeved over the Cairns deal. It probably hurt worse because I've long felt that while good teams come and go, THE CLUB was something special. To me, the sellout to Cairns made us ordinary. I wont (can't) stop supporting Richmond though ( although I probably wont be a member again until we play 11 home games in Melbourne ).

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that losing generates passion. I started supporting Richmond for family reasons, made easier by winning 5 flags by the time I was 15, but I probably took it for granted and my interest in football waned ( but Richmond was always 'my club' ). Years passed, I was living overseas and out of homesickness read papers online, and renewed my interest in Footy, when I returned, I was another fanatic. Lack of onfield success being largely irrelevant to that...indeed, had we been on top at the time, I probably wouldn't have been so keen for fear of being labelled a bandwaggoner.

Supporting a losing team is 'easier' in some ways...At my local pub, I'm known to be a Richmond supporter, and while I cop a bit, generally I get respect for being serious about the team even when we're at the bottom, and WHEN we come good, they'll largely be happy for me ( although there will still be plenty of crap of course ).

This.

No secret I'm peeved over the Cairns deal. It probably hurt worse because I've long felt that while good teams come and go, THE CLUB was something special. To me, the sellout to Cairns made us ordinary. I wont (can't) stop supporting Richmond though ( although I probably wont be a member again until we play 11 home games in Melbourne ).

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that losing generates passion. I started supporting Richmond for family reasons, made easier by winning 5 flags by the time I was 15, but I probably took it for granted and my interest in football waned ( but Richmond was always 'my club' ). Years passed, I was living overseas and out of homesickness read papers online, and renewed my interest in Footy, when I returned, I was another fanatic. Lack of onfield success being largely irrelevant to that...indeed, had we been on top at the time, I probably wouldn't have been so keen for fear of being labelled a bandwaggoner.

Supporting a losing team is 'easier' in some ways...At my local pub, I'm known to be a Richmond supporter, and while I cop a bit, generally I get respect for being serious about the team even when we're at the bottom, and WHEN we come good, they'll largely be happy for me ( although there will still be plenty of crap of course ).

Why does this upset you so much? Aren't the members still entitled access to 11 games, as per the Darwin deal? Granted one will nominally be an away game, but if the same fans show up anyway will there really be any difference? Am I missing something?

Why does this upset you so much? Aren't the members still entitled access to 11 games, as per the Darwin deal? Granted one will nominally be an away game, but if the same fans show up anyway will there really be any difference? Am I missing something?

You gotta pay off debt one way or another, another debt demolition campaign is a bit rich from a club that did it not too long ago, taking money off members/supporters can't continually be the easy way out, hard calls have to be made. Gotta also take into consideration that it doesn't affect Melbourne based members in any way, since they are still entitled to attend 11 games.

I like that they made the call, finally they are doing something to eradicate their debt.

If I was them, I'd also find ways to capatalise on Punt Rd. Thousands of people drive by everyday, they could allocate more Billboards around the complex and advertise sponsors who are willing to $$$$ up.

You gotta pay off debt one way or another, another debt demolition campaign is a bit rich from a club that did it not too long ago, taking money off members/supporters can't continually be the easy way out, hard calls have to be made. Gotta also take into consideration that it doesn't affect Melbourne based members in any way, since they are still entitled to attend 11 games.

I like that they made the call, finally they are doing something to eradicate their debt.

If I was them, I'd also find ways to capatalise on Punt Rd. Thousands of people drive by everyday, they could allocate more Billboards around the complex and advertise sponsors who are willing to $$$$ up.

Spot on about the debt. :thumbsu: Not sure it's too soon for a debt demolition though, Save our Skins was 20 years ago now, and a lot of members (like me for instance) who weren't in a position to help the club financially then might be now.

Billboards at Punt road won't happen though, if they were allowed to do it I'm sure they would have by now. Billboards are governed by all sorts of local planning and RTA restrictions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In short ( because I've been told to shut up about it ).

Darwin deal is selling a game into a neutral venue. I don't like it, but I reluctantly accept the need and see some benefits through making new fans in the area.

Cairns is selling a game into into a venue specifically to help promote and build up the 'away' team, the ONLY thing the club will get out of it is the money. It's no better than when Melbourne used to sell 'home' games against Brisbane to the Gabba. It's also screwing over the clubs members purely for the money ( no, an away 'compensation' game is not the same as a home game ).

So, as the club has shown it doesn't care about members, but only the money, I'll show them I don't support their actions in the only way they care about...They'll lose the ~$1000/year I generally put intothe club. Sure, they still make more money from the game, but it's all I can do.

my attachment to richmond stems from my Grandfather! he grew up in richmond taking to the local team at the time. he had become the longest serving continuing member in the AFL let alone Richmond and died just last year. (80+ years as a continuing member of Richmond)

the black and yellow is well and truly entrenched in my families blood and i will continue to carry on my grandfathers legacy making sure all my kids know what the yellow and black stands for!

In short ( because I've been told to shut up about it ).

Darwin deal is selling a game into a neutral venue. I don't like it, but I reluctantly accept the need and see some benefits through making new fans in the area.

Cairns is selling a game into into a venue specifically to help promote and build up the 'away' team, the ONLY thing the club will get out of it is the money. It's no better than when Melbourne used to sell 'home' games against Brisbane to the Gabba. It's also screwing over the clubs members purely for the money ( no, an away 'compensation' game is not the same as a home game ).

So, as the club has shown it doesn't care about members, but only the money, I'll show them I don't support their actions in the only way they care about...They'll lose the ~$1000/year I generally put intothe club. Sure, they still make more money from the game, but it's all I can do.

Is the compensation game any one you nominate, or a single game that all members have access to? If the latter, what's the difference between that and a 'true' home game?

I take your point about Cairns, but it's no different to going to Subi except we get better paid for it. Essentially we're volunteering for an extra interstate match to help reduce our debt (minimising what the members have to tip into the coffers). Isn't that caring about the members?

Is the compensation game any one you nominate, or a single game that all members have access to? If the latter, what's the difference between that and a 'true' home game?

I take your point about Cairns, but it's no different to going to Subi except we get better paid for it. Essentially we're volunteering for an extra interstate match to help reduce our debt (minimising what the members have to tip into the coffers). Isn't that caring about the members?

The other aspect is...Name me a club that has got out of debt by selling a game here and a game there...We're following a strategy that has been tried and failed by several clubs, who generally end up worse off by alienating their members in the process.

The other aspect is...Name me a club that has got out of debt by selling a game here and a game there...We're following a strategy that has been tried and failed by several clubs, who generally end up worse off by alienating their members in the process.

The difference between us and those other clubs is that we have a larger supporter base, and are therefore trying to clear a temporary, rather than endemic debt (hope that makes sense). It won't be the only thing we need to do, but it will help, and will keep money in Members pockets that might have gone to debt reduction.

And I'm genuinely interested in an answer to my first question.

The difference between us and those other clubs is that we have a larger supporter base, and are therefore trying to clear a temporary, rather than endemic debt (hope that makes sense). It won't be the only thing we need to do, but it will help, and will keep money in Members pockets that might have gone to debt reduction.

More members = more potential revenue IN MELBOURNE. ie, less reason to sell games and piss off the Melbourne members.

And I'm genuinely interested in an answer to my first question.

I assume the first question is...

No, a specific game will be allocated, generally against a low drawing club ( ie, one where the AFL wants/needs to boost attendance ).

As for the difference...In terms of the game itself, it's an away game ( ie, they get all the little touches that home teams get like the choice of rooms, which end the cheer squad sits at, etc ).

For members..In short, we get the 'leftovers'. For general admission, that's not such a big difference. For reserved seats..well, instead of getting your regular, pre booked, prime seat, a bay is assigned ( from what is left over after the home team's reserved seats are done ) and seats are "first in, best dressed". Function rooms, will again be the home teams 'leftovers', etc.

Sure, none of this is the end of the world, but it's annoying to have people pretend it's "just the same" and the club boasting that they're not raising prices while they give us less - It's like when Cadbury reduced the size of their blocks of chocolate and kept the prices the same...Although Cadbury at least had the decency not to advertise it as being a positive.

I am 65 years young was there for the good times, saw Des Rowe, Roger Dean and Royce Hart play saw the grandfinal wins also been there for the bad times.My grandmother had black and yellow tiles on her kitchen floor her favourite players Danny Guinane and the great man himself Jack Dyer.Her advice to me when I was very young, Richmond is who we are its our family you can never change its like being Catholic thats it....Ok that was it and still is!!

All the other clubs are filth.

Oh the Tigers have delivered plenty of great days in my life, sometimes you have too pay back the club with patience.

Much the same for me as a Liverpool supporter as well, 20 yrs since their last league title, started supporting both clubs back in the early 70's, so you got to take the good with the bad.

it's a short sighted and selfish attaitude to take telsor, in case you failed to realise the club is 4mn in debt and recently lost a major rev stream in the royal oak. had the club not explored other major streams we would be seriously facing insolvency. Last time i checked members were in NO way put out as they had access to 2 other away games in Vic, upholding the VALUE in the 11 game memebership.

knee jerk irrational decisions don't help...thanks for your support, it was great whilst it lasted:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

What Has Made You Stick With Richmond For This Long??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back