bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
What comes after the light in space. Do we hit a wall...If so...whats behind that wall? Does space just continue on? It has to start and finish somewhere...doesnt it?

Obviously no one knows the answer but damm...it can ruin ones night, thinking about this

I think about it every day
I was talking about this to a work mate who doesnt really talk about these things...We stood there and talked about it for 45 minutes...going around in circles with more questions than we started with.

Its mind boggling stuff...I secretly love it

I was talking about this to a work mate who doesnt really talk about these things...We stood there and talked about it for 45 minutes...going around in circles with more questions than we started with.

Its mind boggling stuff...I secretly love it
Beats working I guess.

In terms of the universe there is no beyond the light.
I think I have heard an explanation of the universe this way.
Imagine sitting on the surface of the inside of a balloon. As the air enters the balloon it expands and you travel with it. It keeps expanding and expanding.
However, it doesn't explode at the end. There are two theories as to what happens next. One is that the balloon starts to shrink back to it's original size. The other theory is that the particles of the balloon slow down eventually becoming random and unstable, and instead of going out with a bang the balloon goes out with a whimper.

OP, I'm not quite understanding your question.

The universe is not explicable in terms of the three dimensions we normally think of. There is no edge and there is no centre. The big bang took place everywhere at once, and perhaps everywhen at once (speculating on that bit, but with space-time being a single thing and my knowledge being both out of date and long forgotten ....).

Spun out. Was just thinking about this yesterday, and don't even know why I started thinking about it. If the universe is expanding, what is it expanding into? If you could get to a point of expansion, could you see something outside of it? It does boggle the mind, and makes little to no sense.

My 6 year old son said to me the other night, "Dad, do you ever think it's weird that we live on a big rock that's just floating in space?" YES!!! I always think about that too!!!! That shit always spins me out, that we're this tiny little planet, full of weird stuff, and amazing things that humans have created, whilst spinning around on a giant rock, that's floating in the middle of a big load of nothing............

person: What created the universe?
religious person: God created the universe.
person: What created God?
religious person: God created himself.
person: Huh? How can something come out of nothing ?

person: What created the universe?
athiest: The Big Bang created the universe.
person: What created the Big Bang?
athiest: Don't know, it just happened. One moment there was nothing then boom.
person: Huh? How can something come out of nothing ?

I don't think the human brain could even comprehend the outer limits of this universe and what, if anything, lies beyond. We talk about it seriously enough but almost with a false sense of security, like what we are talking about is theoretical and happening in a vacuum. Except we are in that vacuum, and it is terrifying so we hold tight to our social practices and cheer for our footy teams cause to think about our place in the grand scheme of things is just too much.

IMO it is beyond the scope of our brains to understand. I saw a great analogy on a movie one time (it was about something else but it applies here). A woman had some worms in a container for some experiment. These worms only had two senses, touch and one other, maybe smell, I forget but it's not important (I'm a great storyteller...). Anyway, so the sea cucumber says to the mollusc, well it doesn't say to the mollusc, because sea cucumbers can't talk (sorry, finding nemo joke there)

Back on topic, the worm only has two senses, and as such it cannot know what light is. It is unable to comprehend that light exists, because it is physiologically incapable of beholding it. Does this therefore mean that light does not exist? To the worm, yes it does. There is no such thing as light, and further there is no comprehension of light. To a being with no way of "seeing" light, there is no actual way for that beings mind to imagine it, or therefore comprehend it.

So may it be with us, and the nature of the universe, and perhaps the nature of an afterlife, God, the whole bit. This physical vessel we are riding has no way of comprehending some things. Like the worm, we therefore find it impossible to comprehend how there can be "something from nothing" or how there can be "no end, no edge" to the universe. Unlike the worm we are highly intelligent (well, maybe not Port supporters but that's a breeding thing) and able to speculate, philosophise, imagine. Therefore while there are very likely many things which we cannot comprehend, or even imagine, it doesn't stop us trying to do so.

This point is also - IMO - a very good reason why it's ridiculous to argue that "God does not exist". How can we know? I am not saying He does, because I do not know, but to argue with certainty that He does not is as naive as the worm arguing that there is no such thing as light. We just cannot know as things stand in this reality.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What comes after the light in space. Do we hit a wall...If so...whats behind that wall? Does space just continue on? It has to start and finish somewhere...doesnt it?

Obviously no one knows the answer but damm...it can ruin ones night, thinking about this

lol
Why are you assuming there is a beyond , a start and an end ?

Interested in GG.exe's thoughts
Arent we all?

The universe is indeed finite. Its just incomprehensible to get ones head around being where youre being.

When i was a little boy, the idea i had was that the universe itself is like an actual being, like a humanoid, say, who is walking around in his/her own world, and space, galaxies, planets, beings, etc, are like the organs and cells of it. The Big Bang like its moment of conception. Like your own body and mind, inside it, is a universe itself. Like a Chinese boxes type dynamic.

I dont know....but, the universe is finite.

Does space just continue on? It has to start and finish somewhere...doesnt it?
I think that beginning and end of the Universe is a human concept, as we cannot understand something that continues on and on without end
As humans, we need to understand a start and a finish
I think the Universe just is, and is endless

I think that beginning and end of the Universe is a human concept, as we cannot understand something that continues on and on without end
As humans, we need to understand a start and a finish
I think the Universe just is, and is endless
I like this post because it is truthful.
What we call Science is a human construct and it helps us to understand our World because our Scientists take measurements and record their observations.
We of course take these observations as gospel. What can't be measured or recorded is of course discarded as regarded as meaningless dribble.
So, when the question is raised - what lies beyond the unknown, the unmeasureable? Well of course it is discarded as ridiculous. It's unproven and worthless :(

IMO it is beyond the scope of our brains to understand. I saw a great analogy on a movie one time (it was about something else but it applies here). A woman had some worms in a container for some wxperiment. These worms only had two senses, touch and one other, maybe smell, I forget but it's not important (I'm a great storyteller...). Anyway, so the sea cucumber says to the mollusc, well it doesn't say to the mollusc, because sea cucumbers can't talk (sorry, finding nemo joke there)

Back on topic, the worm only has two senses, and as such it cannot know what light is. It is unable to comprehend that light exists, because it is physiologically incapable of beholding it. Does this therefore mean that light does not exist? To the worm, yes it does. There is no such thing as light, and further there is no comprehension of light. To a being with no way of "seeing" light, there is no actual way for that beings mind to imagine it, or therefore comprehend it.

So may it be with us, and the nature of the universe, and perhaps the nature of an afterlife, God, the whole bit. This physical vessel we are riding has no way of comprehending some things. Like the worm, we therefore find it impossible to comprehend how there can be "something from nothing" or how there can be "no end, no edge" to the universe. Unlike the worm we are highly intelligent (well, maybe not Port supporters but that's a breeding thing) and able to speculate, philosophise, imagine. Therefore while there are very likely many things which we cannot comprehend, or even imagine, it doesn't stop us trying to do so.

This point is also - IMO - a very god reason why it's ridiculous to argue that "God does not exist". How can we know? I am not saying He does, because I do not know, but to argue with certainty that He does not is as naive as the worm arguing that there is no such thing as light. We just cannot know as things stand in this reality.

Yeah nah. God is something that came from someone's imagination. There's no plausible reason for there to be a God but if there's a God maybe there are 50 Gods and a Super-God and His wife. A worm doesn't think that light could exist so it doesn't pretend it does.

I agree with the idea that just because we can't comprehend something it doesn't mean it doesn't exist though.

Yeah nah. God is something that came from someone's imagination. There's no plausible reason for there to be a God but if there's a God maybe there are 50 Gods and a Super-God and His wife. A worm doesn't think that light could exist so it doesn't pretend it does.

I agree with the idea that just because we can't comprehend something it doesn't mean it doesn't exist though.

I know man invented God. I am not arguing whether God exists or not, what I am suggesting is that to argue either side is folly. You then began to argue one of the sides...

Super Wife God. I'm assuming she would be eternally beautiful, a firing breathing whore in the bedroom, and not be a nagging bitch.

I like this post because it is truthful.
What we call Science is a human construct and it helps us to understand our World because our Scientists take measurements and record their observations.
We of course take these observations as gospel. What can't be measured or recorded is of course discarded as regarded as meaningless dribble.
So, when the question is raised - what lies beyond the unknown, the unmeasureable? Well of course it is discarded as ridiculous. It's unproven and worthless :(
I think you are slightly misunderstanding the scientific process. Very little in science is deemed "proven", that's why so many things are "theories" even if they are basically uncontested. (Its one of the big problems with the politicisation of science, that the use of the word "theory" is very different in scientific circles to the general usage. What would be beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law is often still a "theory" in science.) Science is as much about asking the next question as finding the next answer.
What lies beyond the unknown is what gets scientists excited. The next discovery, and with it the next question. Making the unmeasurable measurable has been advancing for centuries now.

To take the earlier worm analogy, if that worm species developed technology and intelligence it could detect "light" in the same way that we detect UV or electromagnetism or gravity waves. We had no way of knowing about them centuries ago, now they are so common place in our daily use that one is being used to communicate this message.

That said, I do agree that a god or multiple gods could exist. There is very little need for them as an explanation for physical things, as there used to be. But that doesn't mean that they do not exist. Personally, I find the hypothesis highly unlikley; but its not impossible.
Will the spriritual and/or "supernatural" always be beyond science? Probably (even if it exists), but not certainly.

I know man invented God. I am not arguing whether God exists or not, what I am suggesting is that to argue either side is folly. You then began to argue one of the sides...
It's not folly when a) there's no evidence and b) it came from someone's imagination. It's a bit like me saying worms are reincarnated humans - there's no evidence it's true or to the contrary, so there's a 50/50 chance it's true, right?

It's not folly when a) there's no evidence and b) it came from someone's imagination. It's a bit like me saying worms are reincarnated humans - there's no evidence it's true or to the contrary, so there's a 50/50 chance it's true, right?

I didn't mention anything about probabilities, and they're something I understand perfectly, btw. I said that without knowledge absolute speculation (ie, does or does not) is futile.

It's an inescapably correct point I am arguing, you need not bother fighting it. To argue absolutely for or against something which is by its definition beyond your understanding is, therefore, futile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mystery What is beyond the light?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back