Brisbane.........RL
Perth......... AFL
Adelaide....... AFL
Gold Coast....... RL
Canberra........ RL
Newcastle....... RL
Wollongong....... RL
Central Coast..... RL

Is the central coast a city? I thought it was a region.

littleduck said:
Compare the two codes on the Gold Coast then. The best way to get the NRL stats would be to google the Gold Coast RLFC bid they submitted for inclusion to the NRL bcoz it includes most of the meaningful stats for RL on the Gold Coast.

Remember when the Chargers were in the competition. They were lucky to pull 10,000 people to their home games. Not exactly a RL heartland. Yes there are a number of local RL sides up there but does it really dominate as you seem to imply?

whythelongface said:
Is the central coast a city? I thought it was a region.
Yes it is a region, Gosford is the city.

Here's a summary from the August 2001 census:-

1 Sydney NSW 3,502,301
2 Melbourne VIC 3,160,171
3 Brisbane QLD 1,508,161
4 Perth WA 1,176,542
5 Adelaide SA 1,002,127
6 Gold Coast QLD 421,557
7 Canberra ACT 339,727
8 Newcastle NSW 279,975
9 Gosford NSW 255,429
10 Wollongong NSW 228,846

http://www.citypopulation.de/Australia-UC.html

Sydney......... RL 80% / AFL 20%
Melbourne....... AFL 95% / RL 5%
Brisbane.........RL 66% / AFL 34%
Perth......... AFL 95% / RL 5%
Adelaide....... AFL 98% / R 2%
Gold Coast....... RL 66%/ AFL 34%
Canberra........ RL 40%/ RU 40% / AFL 20%
Newcastle....... RL 97% / AFL 3%
Wollongong....... RL 85% / AFL 15%
Central Coast..... RL 90% / AFL 10 %

Would be more accurate IMO..

grayham said:
Serious question. I'm not talking about disputed territory where people follow other codes as well, I'm talking about hard core 100% RL area.
(And dont say NSW/QLD - too general and too inaccurate)

I'll go first:
NSW:
Western Sydney. From about Strathfield west and south. Little above the parramatta river or north (rugby), or east (shared with RU and AFL).
Central NSW (Bathurst to Parkes) going as low as the Murrumbidgee, not including Canberra.
Northern NSW from Sydney up to Tweed heads.

QLD:
Half of Brisbane (not sure which half). Not gold coast.
Most of rural QLD, except around Cairns.

Comments?

Considering rugby league is devoid of heartland as you point out there, isn't it amazing how well it does as a TV product and with crowds (behind AFL of course). I'm surprised anybody watched the G.F the other night.

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
Talk about "bending it like Beckham" :confused:

Australia's 10 largest cities are:-

Sydney......... RL
Melbourne....... AFL
Brisbane.........RL
Perth......... AFL
Adelaide....... AFL
Gold Coast....... RL
Canberra........ RL
Newcastle....... RL
Wollongong....... RL
Central Coast..... RL

Get off the grass JJ, I was just replying to thread about only 3 cities greater than 230,000 being AFL areas. So I replied with one for 500,000
What makes 230,000 the magic number

All in all we you can spin it anyway you like but in the end AFL is more popular than RL in this country. End of Story

Sunny said:

I notice RU has beenb totally left out of the central coast...

Hoops said:
Get off the grass JJ, I was just replying to thread about only 3 cities greater than 230,000 being AFL areas. So I replied with one for 500,000
What makes 230,000 the magic number
Nothing does, but why choose 500,000? If you look at the largest 10 cities then ARL clearly lags behind RL.

Face facts man........ Sleepy Hollow and Hobart are not where the real population growth of Australia is.

whythelongface said:
Remember when the Chargers were in the competition. They were lucky to pull 10,000 people to their home games. Not exactly a RL heartland. Yes there are a number of local RL sides up there but does it really dominate as you seem to imply?
theyve never had a respectable stadium until now so its unfair to judge on the basis of crowds to craphole stadiums. the better indicators would be merchandise sales, television viewership, etc...

also you only had to see the huge groundswell of support from the Gold Coast for admission to the NRL from the public as well as corporate sponsorship. it was a major reason why they got accepted.

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
Nothing does, but why choose 500,000? If you look at the largest 10 cities then ARL clearly lags behind RL.

Face facts man........ Sleepy Hollow and Hobart are not where the real population growth of Australia is.
Why choose the top 10? Look at Australia as a whole and AF wins hands down

Hoops said:
Why choose the top 10? Look at Australia as a whole and AF wins hands down
Only in your mind.

Even blind Freddy knows 10 Victorian sides are unsustainable and that the major population growth centres in Australia are based around Wollongong/Sydney/Gosford/Newcastle in NSW and Brisbane/Gold Coast in QLD.

AFL may become the top code BUT ONLY IF they relocate/create another team in Sydney, 1 in the ACT, 1 on the Gold Coast and possibly 1 also in North Queensland. The Lions and Swans have proven that is the direction to go, so now it is up to the AFL's wise monkeys to rationalise the 10 Vic teams.

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
Only in your mind.

Even blind Freddy knows 10 Victorian sides are unsustainable and that the major population growth centres in Australia are based around Wollongong/Sydney/Gosford/Newcastle in NSW and Brisbane/Gold Coast in QLD.

AFL may become the top code BUT ONLY IF they relocate/create another team in Sydney, 1 in the ACT, 1 on the Gold Coast and possibly 1 also in North Queensland. The Lions and Swans have proven that is the direction to go, so now it is up to the AFL's wise monkeys to rationalise the 10 Vic teams.

Australian Football is clearly the dominant winter code - in 5 of the 8 states and territories it is the no. 1 sport and in the other 3 it has certainly expanded as a sport.

I would agree that over the next decade a couple of the Melbourne clubs may need to merge or relocate. However, I don't think a 2nd Sydney team is a viable option at this stage as the Swans still can't sell out their home games at the SCG. North Queensland would not be on the cards as there would not be enough interest in the area as it seems to be dominated by League.

The same can be said for RL. Can Sydney sustain 9 league teams? Probably not. That is the reason why teams have looked at the option of relocating to the Central Coast to tap into this market.

whythelongface said:
Australian Football is clearly the dominant winter code - in 5 of the 8 states
since when did we have 8 states?

NSW VIC QLD SA WA TAS... have i missed 2??

and territories it is the no. 1 sport and in the other 3 it has certainly expanded as a sport.
ACT: 1 RL 2 RU 3 AFL; NT: 1 AFL 2 RL

I would agree that over the next decade a couple of the Melbourne clubs may need to merge or relocate.
10 Victorian teams are sustainable due to the $$$$ the Swans bring into the game and all the other non-Victorian clubs.

The same can be said for RL. Can Sydney sustain 9 league teams? Probably not. That is the reason why teams have looked at the option of relocating to the Central Coast to tap into this market.
yeah, there will eventually be a team who capitalises on the potential of the central coast. but thats all. otherwise the comp will stay as is. the game has attempted simultaneous rationalisation and expansion and it was too much too quickly. stability and steady as she goes now is the future of the NRL comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

littleduck said:
since when did we have 8 states?

NSW VIC QLD SA WA TAS... have i missed 2??

If you are going to be a smart arse why don't you read the whole quote and not pick certain pieces from it. I said 5 of the 8 states and territories - thus the 6 states you quoted plus the NT and ACT.

Ten Victorian AFL is unsustainable....... that is a certainty!

Waiting for the Swans to sell out all their home games before relocating another side to Sydney/Canberra is a fallacy because a) they will never sell out all their games, and b) the great momentum gained by winning the flag this year needs to be capitalised on ASAP. Instead of propping up sick Vic clubs the AFL should kick/drag/bribe the Kangaroos or another club to move by 2007(or 2008 at the very latest).

The NRL has previously taken tough decisions in Sydney with 3 mergers occurring.... two very successfully and one a disaster. Whythelongface is right about the Central Coast. Despite ridicule from some my belief is that the Rabbitohs(the most famous but also most struggling RL club) will secure its long term viability and independence by accepting ARL assistance in relocating there. The Central Coast already has all the facilities/supporter market base to take the Bunnies right back to the top. Convincing diehard South Sydney fans of the move will not be easy but, having only recently gained re-entry into the comp, if it comes down to survival by moving it will happen.

Jumpin' Jimmy said:

Waiting for the Swans to sell out all their home games before relocating another side to Sydney/Canberra is a fallacy because a) they will never sell out all their games, and b) the great momentum gained by winning the flag this year needs to be capitalised on ASAP. Instead of propping up sick Vic clubs the AFL should kick/drag/bribe the Kangaroos or another club to move by 2007(or 2008 at the very latest).

The NRL has previously taken tough decisions in Sydney with 3 mergers occurring.... two very successfully and one a disaster. Whythelongface is right about the Central Coast. Despite ridicule from some my belief is that the Rabbitohs(the most famous but also most struggling RL club) will secure its long term viability and independence by accepting ARL assistance in relocating there. The Central Coast already has all the facilities/supporter market base to take the Bunnies right back to the top. Convincing diehard South Sydney fans of the move will not be easy but, having only recently gained re-entry into the comp, if it comes down to survival by moving it will happen.
Any team moving to the central Coast will have to be a Central Coast team and not a Sydney team playing out of the Central Coast.

copa said:
Any team moving to the central Coast will have to be a Central Coast team and not a Sydney team playing out of the Central Coast.

I thought that would have been the case prior to the naming of the 16th team. I doubt that they would bring another team into the comp (unless one of the established teams fold). Thus I would think that the most likely scenario would be a Sydney team relocating there. As JJ has indicated this would probably be more than likely Souths - with Richo at the helm he would looking at the viability of the club and thus his decision to move home games to Telstra. Therefore I think that it is a distinct possibility that in the near future (next 5 years) that they relocate to the Central Coast. They have already played one or two games there and the potential is enormous as it is one of the states growth areas.

Sunny said:

Rugby Union figures would be higher than all those AFL figures in RL areas, and likewise RU figures would be higher than RL figures in the AFL areas.

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
I disagree. The existence of 6 non-Victorian teams in a national competition makes them sustainable.

Waiting for the Swans to sell out all their home games before relocating another side to Sydney/Canberra is a fallacy because a) they will never sell out all their games, and b) the great momentum gained by winning the flag this year needs to be capitalised on ASAP[/quote]They will capitalise ASAP.. at the grassroots!!

Instead of propping up sick Vic clubs the AFL should kick/drag/bribe the Kangaroos or another club to move by 2007(or 2008 at the very latest).
to telstra stadium?

littleduck said:
I disagree. The existence of 6 non-Victorian teams in a national competition makes them sustainable.
Tell him he's dreamin'
Check out the financials at Carlton and Hawthorn.... they are both in more shyt than a Werribee duck. :thumbsdown:

They will capitalise ASAP.. at the grassroots!!
Tell him he's dreamin'
In last year's AFL draft camp not one NSW player was drafted and this year only 1 of the 73 draftees is from NSW. :thumbsdown:

to telstra stadium?
to the SCG. Big Sav Rocca could play there for another few seasons kicking them from the centre and beyond. :eek:

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
Tell him he's dreamin'
Check out the financials at Carlton and Hawthorn.... they are both in more shyt than a Werribee duck. :thumbsdown:

Hawthorn has over 6 million in assets (3 million cash in the bank)!

Alot more cashola than most if not all NRL clubs...

ARES said:
Hawthorn has over 6 million in assets (3 million cash in the bank)! Alot more cashola than most if not all NRL clubs...
Hawthorn have had the Dicker and are about to be Jeffed. They are also refloating the Queen Mary in order to fudge the figures for this year.

DICKER’S FAREWELL GIFTS
1. A voyage on the Queen Mary from New York to London
2. A week surfing off the coast of Indonesia on a luxury boat
3. A private performance by Kate Ceberano
4. One week fishing off the coast of northern Australia
5. Aprilia motorcycle
6. Private performance by two leading Australian opera singers
7. Painting by a leading Australian artist
http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/...o-balance-books/2005/08/31/1125302628282.html

Admittedly they are still in much better shape than Carlton who are faced with trying to raise the Titanic http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16626074%5E36035,00.html

Ian Dicker had this to say two years ago(when the Hawks and Blues looked a whole lot healthier):- http://hawthornfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=presview_display&articleid=120365

Weak Victorian Clubs

Collingwood and Essendon are as strong as the interstate Clubs and Carlton and Richmond could be, with their strong support. I think Hawthorn is in that category. But, except with Collingwood and Essendon, anything could happen. Ten teams against strong opposition is definitely too many.

The AFL strategy of reducing the number was right, but they did it the wrong way. Five Clubs have negative net assets and continue to trade on guarantees from future income. Eventually it will catch up, but the latest AFL plan is to give money to loss-making Clubs to sustain them. Again, wrong as it will not build support – only sustain the Clubs.

So, watch the seeds. It could be possible for further relocations, two obvious ones; it may mean a different mix of Melbourne games, I hope it won’t mean less Clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

What is rugby league heartland ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back