What is the "Buckley zone defence"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how much of yesterday's debacle can be attributed solely to our defensive structures, but yes our backline was out of sorts.

It's not like the forwards or midfielders were on fire. We were spudding it up all over the ground.

The hallmark of our game plan for 3 years has pretty much been. Get the ball into our forward 50. Defenders push up to the wings and beyond. 30 blokes in our forward 50. No room to take a mark or space to do anything at ground level. When the opposition gets the ball and clears the wing, get in position for a centre bounce, because a goal is about to ensue.

The pressing up works if the opposition don't flood all their players back, but if they do our forward 50 is too crowded whilst theirs is completely open. We need 3 times as many forward 50 entries in order to score the same number of goals.

It can't be this easy though.... Surely our club have the brains to know more than we do?!

When your opponent gets the ball, your defenders form a trust circle at approximately 15 m intervals and everyone spontaneously jazzhands in an affirming manner while "Wind Beneath Your Wings" plays over the PA system as your opposition waltz or perhaps freestyle disco their way to the goal square.

Followed by tea and scones.

For the most part the goals "over the back" against Port were goals scored from turnovers, i.e. when the zone was not set up. The goals Port scored from kickouts after a Collingwood behind are the really worrisome ones.

and we don't have a ton of good Ball Users

дисфункци:mad:нальный1/0مختلةBuckley機能不全のslingshotबेकारFFS!Carltonלא מתפקדdysfunkcjonalne

Take it to the Bucks thread Walter! :p

I will add to what mattys123 said and go further and say that all teams in fact use some form of team zone defence and no team plays man on man. The structure actually works when the team is up and about, see the games versus Cats and Dogs for very recent examples. It fell apart yesterday because collectively they totally dropped the bundle.

Our results would likely be even worse on these occasions if we were man on man, especially against a fast team like Port. Their midfielders would have just streamed into our forward line into all the space and completely carved us up.

These days you have to employ a zone defence or you're screwed. The problem is that we have to make it work.

Btw, yesterday we made it look bad early by turning the ball over by both hand and foot when we were all streaming forward. They were zone breaking clangers of worst kind. Unfortunately, later in the game we appeared to also give up which didn't help.
Most teams defenders play man on man. They often have a plus one and the zone is formed by mids and forwards.

Our defenders don't have the intercept ability or nous to play a spatial zone. Given the limitations of our defence, it needs to be more man on man rather than guarding space.

Most clubs use some form of the zone defense.

Some rely on their key position defenders in more of a one on one contest, and some, like us it seems, rely on a team zone that helps out it's defense at every opportunity.

The problem with any zone defense, in any sport, is it relies on a total buy in from that group of players on the field/court.

So if the players are even slightly off, for any given reason, then it all falls apart, as we have seen this year.

Change in personnel, fitness, intelligence of players, etc etc can also be factors but quite simply if the effort is even a few % off, and it was yesterday, especially after half time, then the zone defense falls apart.

It's not a "Buckley only thing", most teams use some form of it, and for a lot it's extremely effective.

I do ask however what our defensive coaches (namely Ben Hart and his group) teach our players, because at times even they look lost when it comes to implementing what really is a simple defensive system.

Nah sorry mate it is a Buckley thing, check out our midfield and their defensive efforts, the backline is bad but the midfield is also terrible. Infact all our lines are horrible and so is the effort. They are a Buckley thing. He has used all the excuses up. This is his team he chose the "dumb" players and weeded the "rat pack". He can't manage anyone other than a certain type of person and he can't develop a game plan to the strengths of his list. It is very very clear that he must go at the end of this season.

Make no mistake it is a Buckley thing

I will add to what mattys123 said and go further and say that all teams in fact use some form of team zone defence and no team plays man on man. The structure actually works when the team is up and about, see the games versus Cats and Dogs for very recent examples. It fell apart yesterday because collectively they totally dropped the bundle.

Our results would likely be even worse on these occasions if we were man on man, especially against a fast team like Port. Their midfielders would have just streamed into our forward line into all the space and completely carved us up.

These days you have to employ a zone defence or you're screwed. The problem is that we have to make it work.

Btw, yesterday we made it look bad early by turning the ball over by both hand and foot when we were all streaming forward. They were zone breaking clangers of worst kind. Unfortunately, later in the game we appeared to also give up which didn't help.

A couple of weeks ago after Gold Coast got a flogging, a member of the ABC radio commentary team ranted on the failings of their running with a man-on-man structure, saying they needed to get with the contemporary zone defence.

It's hard to tell from TV because you only see what the defensive set up looks like when the ball goes down there. A zone works if the pressure on the ball carrier is high up the ground, forcing rushed and long kicks which can result in defenders being able to quickly rebound before the opposition gets their defense set. Here is the only view I know of that is public where it's possible to see how teams set up behind the ball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just have to ******* See what the **** happens.

So you think our Assistants are the Best in the Game Mr. ******* Know it all
I'm not going to make sweeping accusations about a person's performance when I am privy to no evidence for or against their performance.

I find it amusing that you (and others) so often lay the blame at the feet of those that you cannot possibly accurately assess yet those whose performances can be more adequately assessed you are much less scathing of? Our assistants can't go out there and win the ball for us.

The zone is beyond the personnel we have. A good coach is someone that coaches to the strengths of the group he has, not the weaknesses.

The zone is beyond the personnel we have. A good coach is someone that coaches to the strengths of the group he has, not the weaknesses.

A good person is someone who doesn't troll.

I can understand why you would let Howe or Reid zone off their opponent to create the ability to intercept and counter attack, but why would you have Toovey and Frost not on their dangerous forwards looking to shut them down when that's their only real AFL level talent. It's crazy watching guys like Wingard allowed to float around by themselves goal side of our whole defence, it must be heaven for those types. Pop over one of our guys heads and they're off to the races.

David King summed it up well. He said he had never seen such a disorganised zone in the AFL on the couch. Midfielders were standing in the wrong spaces, no one in defence knew where to run and there was no leadership setting up the zone.

Players were confused and they were standing in the wrong spots with no chance to engage a free player.

David King summed it up well. He said he had never seen such a disorganised zone in the AFL on the couch. Midfielders were standing in the wrong spaces, no one in defence knew where to run and there was no leadership setting up the zone.

Has Nathan Freeman upset you lately?

When we looked good against the Lions and the Cats, we put a lot of pressure on in the midfield and to a lesser degree in our forward line. As a result, their ball movement was generally slow going forward, giving our defenders time to close down their players. Against Port the ball came in fast and it was embarrassing to see their forwards fumbling the ball over and over but still having time to kick easy goals from 10m out. Does this mean that our game plan is okay but we need more practice and less injuries or does it mean that we don't have the skills or coaching ability to pull it off? I have no idea but this is the first year in about 20 that I have stopped watching every minute of every match and that's mainly because of all the soft, unopposed goals we have given up this year.

Well done Heavypop!
When I'm on a computer instead of my phone I will watch that, should be interesting.

No, JMac thinks Perth is like Frankston minus its intelligentsia

Sort of but the weather is better here than frankston... btw are you trolling? I get so mad when people troll. Me and Jmac are big troll haters...I'd do anything to bash a troll. I hear there are lots of trolls in frankston..

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the "Buckley zone defence"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back