Teams What is your R1, 2010 ultimate 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFaiL

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
No time like the present to look forward... This is what i would LIKE to see. Reality, who knows

B: Baker Dawson Gram
HB: Fisher Maguire Gilbert
C: Montagna Goddard Dal Santo
HF: Lynch Riewoldt McQualter
F: Schneider Kosi Steven
R: Gardiner Jones Hayes
I/C: Armitage, McEvoy, Blake, Ball
Depth/Emerg: Milne, X, King, Geary, Ray, Eddy, Dempster, Raph, Gwilt, Stanley

A few notes: As it's a 'dream' 22, I'm hoping Macca overtakes Kingy and makes him a 2's reserve ruckman. I want Armo to push into the team. He is the future, you can't sit them in the VFL forever. Otherwise they become the good players when the team is crap. I want Lynchy to earn a spot and play some good footy. If he isn't playing thet HFF role we so desperately need, who else does? IMO we gotta do what a lot of other clubs do and get em in there and persist. If eddy can get a fair few games, Lynchy can. We have a versitilve back and forward line and the midfield is amazing. Good depth too. I'd love to see X come in and make fwd pocket his own.

What's your thoughts and your ultimate team?

Oh, and I'd love to see Lovett off the HBF :D:D

FB: Baker Dawson Maguire
HB: Gilbert S. Fisher Gram
C: Dal Santo Hayes Montagna
HF: Schneider Riewoldt McQualter
FF: Goddard Koschitzke Lynch

R: Gardiner Ball Jones

Inter: X. Clarke Blake Milne King

Emg: Steven Armitage Dempster

FB: Baker Dawson Maguire
HB: Goddard S. Fisher Gram
C: Dal Santo Hayes Montagna
HF: Schneider Riewoldt McQualter
FF: Milne Koschitzke Lynch

R: Gardiner Ball Jones

Inter: X. Clarke Blake Ray King

Emg: Steven Armitage Dempster

No Gilbert in the Backline?

IMO
Round 1:

B: Baker Dawson Gilbert
HB: Fisher Maguire Gram
C: Montagna Hayes Dal Santo
HF: Goddard Riewoldt Lynch
FF: McQualter Kozi Schnieder

R: Gardiner Jones Armo

Inter: Ball X.Clarke Blake Steven

Emergency: Geary Stanley Milne

Milne has to be in the team.
We would be playing Geelong correct?

B: Baker Dawson Gram
HB: Gilbert Fisher Blake
C: Montagna Goddard Dal Santo
HF: Lynch* Riewoldt McQualter
F: Schneider Kosi Milne

R: Gardiner Jones Hayes
I/C: King Ray Maguire Ball

Emerg: Armitage McEvoy X

* = Lynch/Gwilt/Dempster

This is my preferred 22 with our current list:

Round 1 vs Geelong

B: Blake Dawson Baker
HB: Gilbert Fisher Goddard
C: Montagna Hayes Gram
HF: C. Jones Riewoldt Lynch
F: Schneider Koschitzke Steven
R: Gardiner Ball Dal Santo
INT: McEvoy X. Clarke Ray Maguire
EMG: Armitage McQualter R. Clarke

If Tommy Lynch has a strong pre-season, I don't believe that there are too many gaping flaws in the side and thus no desperate need to trade. I have selected this team on the basis of strong performances in September because if you can't stand up when the heat is on, you don't deserve to be in the team

Changes from grand final team

In: Steven, Lynch, X. Clarke, Maguire, McEvoy

Out: Milne, R. Clarke, McQualter, King, Dempster

Certainties if available: Gram, Hayes, Montagna, Riewoldt, Schneider, Ball, Gardiner, Goddard, Gilbert, Ray, Koschitzke, S Fisher, Dal Santo, Jones, Dawson. (15)

Seven who played in Grand Final: King, Baker, R Clarke, Dempster, Blake, McQualter, Milne. You'll notice there are no full time midfielders in that group.

Players who could replace these players: McEvoy (King), Maguire (Blake), Armitage (McQualter), Steven (Milne), Lynch (Dempster), X Clarke (McQualter), Gwilt (Dempster), Geary (Baker) Heyne (Milne).

Baker Dawson Gilbert
Goddard Blake/Maguire S Fisher
Gram Montagna Dal Santo
Lynch/Gwilt Riewoldt McQualter/Armitage/X Clarke
Milne/Steven Koschitzke Schneider
Gardiner Hayes Jones
McEvoy/King Ball Ray Dempster/R Clarke/Geary

well, it's a bit of fun, I guess :

B : Baker - Dawson - S Fisher
HB : R Clarke - Blake - Gilbert
C : Hayes - Montagna - Dal Santo
HF : Goddard - Riewoldt - McQualter
F : Milne - Fevola - Schneider
R : Gardiner - Jones - Gram
I : King - Armitage - Koschitzke - X Clarke

Emg : McEvoy - Ray - Dempster / Geary / Eddy / Gwilt / Steven

(based on hypothetical assumption that Ball and Maguire have asked to be traded to Carlton for Fevola)

Working from the spine and then outwards.

Backline

FullBack: Cougar
Improved in the off season as far as bulk went, got outmuscled on occasions later, and will only improve with another preseason.

CentreHalfBack: Goose with Chips
Depending on what role we ultimately want Chips to play as we all know that Goose is capable of holding down the CHF to free Chips up on a flank, just whether he still has the capacity to be capable is the query.

Pockets: Baker, Gilbert, Blake, Dempster
Baker for the smalls, Blake for the talls and Gilbert and Dempster for the variables. Baker and Blake support well, Gilbert is prone to being up and down and being turned around plus needing a release on his left foot while Dempster reads the ball wall and is a hard body on the lead to displace with forwards of the small / medium variety.

Flanks: Gilbert, Dempster, Blake, Goose, Chips, Raph
Raph being the new addition merely because it will be the role he grows into.

B: Baker | Dawson | Dempster
HB: Fisher | Goose | Gilbert

Midfield

Centre: Hayes, Ball, Armitage
Armo should be pressing for automatic selection, Hayes should be used as a pinch hitter and run with role since we know he's all class and Ball should likewise be dominating at this point. Yet all 3 still have drawbacks which limit them.

Wings: Montagna, Dal Santo, Ray, Gram, Geary
Wings being the accountable but outside midfielders.

Followers: Dal Santo, Jones, Goddard, Hayes, Ball, King, Gardiner, McEvoy
Macca is still probably a year away by way of tapwork, Jones has improved out of sight as a tagger, Dal we know is class and BJ is mr versatile plus a brilliant user of the footy by foot.

C: Dal Santo | Hayes | Montagna
Foll: Gardiner | Jones | Ball

Forwards

CentreHalfForward: Riewoldt, Gwilt, Goddard, Schneider, Lynch
Riewoldt is an automatic selection as he is an out and out gun, Gwilt doesn't demand it, Goddard could fill the role as could Lynch or even Schneider. Though it is Riewoldts spot to give away.

FullForward: Koschitzke, Lynch, Gwilt
Like above, Kosis spot to lose as we simply do not have that pivotal target to suit the FF position like him.

Pockets: Steven, Heyne, Milne, Schneider, X, Armitage, McQualter
A bit of competition here with Milne and Schneider on shaky ground as Mini has almost got the defensive forward down pat, Heyne looking slick, Steven providing that zip and X and Armitage pushing for selection being no slouches in front of goals either.

Flanks: Eddy, Lynch, Goddard, Gwilt, McQualter, X, Gram
Eddy presents well but simply isn't used, Gram could be used in this role as well as Goddard due to the depth of their kicks as well as involvement in the midfield, Gwilt, while structurly sound also suffers from Eddy's disease.

HF: Goddard | Riewoldt | McQualter
F: Schneider | Kosi | Milne

Interchange & Emergencies
4 spots, 2 for midfield to include the relief ruckman and rotation as well as a reserve for each line (forward / defense) see's those unlucky enough to miss out fighting it out.

Int: King | Gram | X | Armo
EMG: McEvoy | Ray | Blake

Round #1 Team
---------------------------------
----------------------------------

Interchangable positions revolve around Milne, Schneider, McQualter, Goose, Dempster, X and Armo for the most part.

Working from the spine and then outwards.

Backline

FullBack: Cougar
Improved in the off season as far as bulk went, got outmuscled on occasions later, and will only improve with another preseason.

CentreHalfBack: Goose with Chips
Depending on what role we ultimately want Chips to play as we all know that Goose is capable of holding down the CHF to free Chips up on a flank, just whether he still has the capacity to be capable is the query.

Pockets: Baker, Gilbert, Blake, Dempster
Baker for the smalls, Blake for the talls and Gilbert and Dempster for the variables. Baker and Blake support well, Gilbert is prone to being up and down and being turned around plus needing a release on his left foot while Dempster reads the ball wall and is a hard body on the lead to displace with forwards of the small / medium variety.

Flanks: Gilbert, Dempster, Blake, Goose, Chips, Raph
Raph being the new addition merely because it will be the role he grows into.

Midfield

Centre: Hayes, Ball, Armitage
Armo should be pressing for automatic selection, Hayes should be used as a pinch hitter and run with role since we know he's all class and Ball should likewise be dominating at this point. Yet all 3 still have drawbacks which limit them.

Wings: Montagna, Dal Santo, Ray, Gram, Geary
Wings being the accountable but outside midfielders.

Followers: Dal Santo, Jones, Goddard, Hayes, Ball, King, Gardiner, McEvoy
Macca is still probably a year away by way of tapwork, Jones has improved out of sight as a tagger, Dal we know is class and BJ is mr versatile plus a brilliant user of the footy by foot.

Forwards

CentreHalfForward: Riewoldt, Gwilt, Goddard, Schneider, Lynch
Riewoldt is an automatic selection as he is an out and out gun, Gwilt doesn't demand it, Goddard could fill the role as could Lynch or even Schneider. Though it is Riewoldts spot to give away.

FullForward: Koschitzke, Lynch, Gwilt
Like above, Kosis spot to lose as we simply do not have that pivotal target to suit the FF position like him.

Pockets: Steven, Heyne, Milne, Schneider, X, Armitage, McQualter
A bit of competition here with Milne and Schneider on shaky ground as Mini has almost got the defensive forward down pat, Heyne looking slick, Steven providing that zip and X and Armitage pushing for selection being no slouches in front of goals either.

Flanks: Eddy, Lynch, Goddard, Gwilt, McQualter, X, Gram
Eddy presents well but simply isn't used, Gram could be used in this role as well as Goddard due to the depth of their kicks as well as involvement in the midfield, Gwilt, while structurly sound also suffers from Eddy's disease.

Interchange & Emergencies
4 spots, 2 for midfield to include the relief ruckman and rotation as well as a reserve for each line (forward / defense) see's those unlucky enough to miss out fighting it out.

Round #1 Team
----------------------------------

Interchangable positions revolve around Milne, Schneider, McQualter, Goose, Dempster, X and Armo for the most part.

Excellent report there StFly:thumbsu:, I was going to do something similar - but now don't see the point so I'll comment on yours.

Backline: IMO there aint' enough height in the backline, which means Fisher has to play more defensive on a key forward - which I personally don't want. Changes: Demspter out; Gilbert to BP; Gram to HBF; Blake to bench.

Mids: Can't argue with your choices there. I agree that Gardiner should be out #1 ruckman.

Forwards: Don't mind Goddard on the HFF, strong mark + he can still push into the midfield + excellent kick at goal or to Kosi & Roo. I agree that McQualter keeps his spot, excellent forward pressure + can kick the odd goal (although I will never forgive him for missing that goal in the 4th term). Can't wait for pre-season - the competition for the 2 FP spots will be huge. Milne, Schneider, Heyne, Lynch, Eddy, X Clarke and Steven fighting it out. One spot goes to Schneider and the other one I'm not sure?

Bench: I think King should either be 'let go' or retire - so McEvoy gets a spot on the bench. Like I said earlier Blake is also on the bench. 3rd spot goes to Armitage - I really like this guy, tough as nails and can go forward. Final spot I'm not sure, between X Clarke and Ray, but If X's pre-season is good then he might get in. Just in front of Ray.

My round 1 team:

HB: Fisher Maguire Gram
C: NDS Hayes Montagna
HF: Goddard Roo McQualter
F: Schneider Kosi Milne/Steven
R: Gardiner Jones Ball

Inter: McEvoy, Blake, Armitage, X Clarke
Emg: Lynch, Ray, Dempster

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The longer-term team would be

Baker Dawson Gilbert
Goddard Maguire S Fisher
Gram Montagna Dal Santo
Lynch Riewoldt Armitage
Steven Koschitzke Schneider
Gardiner Hayes Jones
McEvoy Ball Ray Geary

The win right here right now team would be

Baker Dawson Gilbert
Goddard Blake S Fisher
Gram Montagna Dal Santo
Gwilt Riewoldt McQualter
Milne Koschitzke Schneider
Gardiner Hayes Jones
King Ball Ray R Clarke

Baker Dawson Gilbert
Goddard Maguire S Fisher
Gram Montagna Dal Santo
Lynch Riewoldt Armitage
Gardiner Hayes Jones
McEvoy Ball Ray Geary

Baker Dawson Gilbert
Goddard Blake S Fisher
Gram Montagna Dal Santo
Gwilt Riewoldt McQualter
Gardiner Hayes Jones
King Ball Ray R Clarke

i think your first team would have a better chance of winning...

imo milne, king, and gwilt are cooked, and i dont know what to think about rapha

Baker Dawson Gilbert
Goddard Maguire S Fisher
Gram Montagna Dal Santo
Lynch Riewoldt Armitage
Gardiner Hayes Jones
McEvoy Ball Ray Geary

Baker Dawson Gilbert
Goddard Blake S Fisher
Gram Montagna Dal Santo
Gwilt Riewoldt McQualter
Gardiner Hayes Jones
King Ball Ray R Clarke

IMO opinion mate, we have to be somewhere in between. We need to get game time into the kids to develop into Champions in 2011, 2012 and beyond. If things go Hawthorn-shaped next season, you want Lynch, Jack, Armo, Macca, Stanley, Miles, Heyne etc to have games under their belt come finals in 2011.

One day we will run out without Lenny Hayes, Nick Riewoldt, Sam Fisher etc. We have to be ready for that day (...but it would be great to win a flag beforehand:D).

Anyone else reckon we have some super good depth?

I do

For mine, if we are legit, players like dempster, gwilt, raph, mile and to a lesser extent, ray should be depth players to come in in case of bad form and injury. in the current game, you need to continually get the kids in. and i honestly think lynch, steven, armo and geary are better optons then gwilt, dempster, milne, ray and raph

The Saints vs Hawks game was great to watch!

The future reads --> McEvoy taps it to Steven, handpasses it to Armitage, who kicks it to Lynch...nicely brings the ball to ground and is pounced on by Heyne who snaps a goal!:D

IMO opinion mate, we have to be somewhere in between. We need to get game time into the kids to develop into Champions in 2011, 2012 and beyond. If things go Hawthorn-shaped next season, you want Lynch, Jack, Armo, Macca, Stanley, Miles, Heyne etc to have games under their belt come finals in 2011.

One day we will run out without Lenny Hayes, Nick Riewoldt, Sam Fisher etc. We have to be ready for that day (...but it would be great to win a flag beforehand:D).

It will all depend what happens during the pre-season. Will be great to see how some of the guys go. Also interesting to see how Goose copes, right now I think some peoples memory of him is a better player than the real man ever was. ( He never ever played as good as Gilbert did last year ).

I wouldn't mind resting Riewoldt at the start of the season. His knee takes a hidng all season ( landing pad) and may not get completely better. Would give the team a chance to get used to alternate scoring methods.

I really think Milne can perform on the big stage - his kick was slightly off timed and if he had a bit of luck bounding towards goal in the wet it would have connected probably - and then he'd be a premiership hero. I guess at the start of every season we get the whole "I'd drop him for R1" though. It's not old. Lyon has brains and will persist.

That being said, I don't know what our team will be until after trade week, but this will be likely:

B: Sean Dempster - Zac Dawson - Jason Blake
HB: Sam Gilbert - Sam Fisher - Brendon Goddard
C: Leigh Montagna - Lenny Hayes - Jason Gram
HF: Nick Dal Santo - Nick Riewoldt - Andrew McQualter
F: Steven Milne - Justin Koschitzke - Adam Schneider
R: Michael Gardiner - Luke Ball - Farren Ray
INT: Steven King - Jarryn Geary - David Armitage - Raphael Clarke

In fact, I have no idea. We have amazing depth when I scratch my head over 30-odd players to fit into a 22.

HB: Fisher Blake Gram
C: Goddard Ball Montagna
HF: Armitage Riewoldt Maguire
F: Milne Koschitzke Schneider
R: Gardiner Dal Santo Hayes

Int: King Ray both Clarkes

We may not win games as easily next year. Other teams will have fully analysed ( and in some cases copied ) our game strategy. Teams will be really pumping up to play last years grand finalist ( while others like the Hawks go under the radar ).
But as RL and co say there is still plenty of room for improvement.
In mastering the high forward pressure tackling system, the boys seem to have let some of the basic kicking/marking skills go. Hopefully they will work on this.
As well as any potential trades/new recruits it's always great to see which players can step up after the pre-season training. Jones for example has stunned me over the last couple of years, somehow improving a quantum leap at the start of each new season. Can he do it again? I rated Sam Gilbert highly in 2008, but he came of the blocks much stronger this year. Will we see some of the other young guns make similar improvement?

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams What is your R1, 2010 ultimate 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back